Are my staff using too much product and colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurams

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Basically I own a hair and beauty salon, I have 3 hairdressers working for me. I am not a hairdresser myself I am beauty by trade.
we seem to be getting through products very quickly eg. colours, shampoos, conditioners.
I have been monitoring any wastage which has now stopped and I have got scales to correctly measure.
but not being a hairdresser I think they could still be using or applying more product than needed. could anyone give me an indication of how much colour/ toner you use on different clients. I know this carnt be exact as everyones different but just a rough idea. we use well products.

Not really as every head is different but you do need to saturate the hair with colour otherwise it will end up patchy and clients won't return. If a client has thick and/or long hair, you could easily use 2 tubes or more.

Are your staff experienced hairdressers? If so, they should be able to estimate to a reasonable degree how much product to mix each time.

Root re-touch only (1 cm) - approx. 1/2 tube.
Full head short hair - 1 tube.
Thick hair, full head 2+ tubes.

Make sure, your stylist's are charging for the service they receive!o_O
I see many posts on facebook showing highly technical work, taking many hours of expertise, and a whole range of products, which is GREAT.....as long as the time taken and product costs make it a viable service.;)

Hi guys,
Basically I own a hair and beauty salon, I have 3 hairdressers working for me. I am not a hairdresser myself I am beauty by trade.
we seem to be getting through products very quickly eg. colours, shampoos, conditioners.
I have been monitoring any wastage which has now stopped and I have got scales to correctly measure.
but not being a hairdresser I think they could still be using or applying more product than needed. could anyone give me an indication of how much colour/ toner you use on different clients. I know this carnt be exact as everyones different but just a rough idea. we use well products.

I think maybe the best thing for you to do is sit down with your staff and come up with an average of what they need for each service.Give them product out as needed if they need more then they can come back for it that way no wastage at the end of the day it's your money going down the sink not theirs stand firm and put a system in place also do some research yourself call wella find out.Good luck

I think maybe the best thing for you to do is sit down with your staff and come up with an average of what they need for each service.Give them product out as needed if they need more then they can come back for it that way no wastage at the end of the day it's your money going down the sink not theirs stand firm and put a system in place also do some research yourself call wella find out.Good luck

That's called micro managing and is a sure fire way to lose good staff.
OP, I think you need to work on team building to improve the trust between yourself as the salon owner and the hairdressers. Staff work at their best when they feel valued.

That's called micro managing and is a sure fire way to lose good staff.
OP, I think you need to work on team building to improve the trust between yourself as the salon owner and the hairdressers. Staff work at their best when they feel valued.
Actually on reflection of my reply I 100% agree with you it is indeed micro managing and working on team building to build trust between salon owner and staff would be a much better approach I take back my comments I apologise

Actually on reflection of my reply I 100% agree with you it is indeed micro managing and working on team building to build trust between salon owner and staff would be a much better approach I take back my comments I apologise

No need to apologise at all. It was a good post to highlight a different perspective. :)

I'm currently studying at level 2 since jan we have been doing our colouring unit. My tutor has advised us to use 30ml of colour as a start off point then to mix more of needed. And 20ml for a 1cm root regrowth.

So far this has worked well for us, hope this can help.

I'm currently studying at level 2 since jan we have been doing our colouring unit. My tutor has advised us to use 30ml of colour as a start off point then to mix more of needed. And 20ml for a 1cm root regrowth.

So far this has worked well for us, hope this can help.

I say 20 is too low but a good start point. I always under mix rather than over mix. But then its my place so I'm as tight as a nats ass

Latest posts

Back