Beauty Therapist/Receptionist - is it wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holistic2010

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Advice needed.....

I am thinking of offering one of our self employed therapists a perm position. Is it wrong to ask her to do beauty & reception cover? I am certainly not an employer to take the pee, but it would sort 2 things out in 1 if I could do this! I have also emailed my HR guy for advice, but wanted to know your opinions?

Would you do both?? I know I have done in the past, and everyone's been very good at chipping in with reception when needed at my place so far.... :wink2:

ta very much xx

Hi

You are the business owner and therefore it is you that decides what tasks need to go into a job description, if the therapist is not happy to take the perm job based on the JD, she doesn't have to, maybe one of the other therapists would jump at the opportunity.

It would have been a different situation had the therapist been under contract with an existing JD because you would not have been able to change the JD to include reception duties without consultation with her first.

I personally feel it is a good idea to ensure 'reception cover' is a part of everyone's JD as it builds resilience into your business ie, covers sick leave, annual leave.

Kathie x

I have never had a beauty therapist job which did not cover reception duties, so I can't see it being a big deal imo x

Thanks very much, this has helped make my mind up :) xx

you are the one offering the post, so write out a job description and include it and show it to the prospective staff memeber, then they can decde if they want it or not. however I couldnt see why any staff membe would worry about reception duties. cleaning my car, well yes definately but reception?

I think it's acceptable and like the previous poster suggested state in the job description from the beginning and if the therapist is ok with it then I am sure she/he will apply for the position.

It's part of the job of a beauty therapist to cover reception in the salon. So don't worry you wouldn't be asking her nothing unusual.

Where I trained they also trained you in reception duties so I wouldnt be offended to be asked to do this too.

Hi I am at college still but in our course we each get a turn in which we cover reception duties :)

Goodness me! I'm a hairdresser but in my salon we all do reception aswell as shampooing, cleaning, tea/coffee, retail, stock order/management etc etc!!! definitely within your rights to build reception duties into a job description. Your therapist should bite your hand off :D

Yes I agree with everyone else, it is not wrong for job position as a Beauty Therapist to include reception duties BUT if she is self-employed that is different.

Will you be offering her a position as a full time Beauty Therapist employed by you, or as self employed?
If its the later, then she works for herself, yes, she may not mind helping out on reception but she cant be expected to do this.

Hope that helps & gives a different angle on things x

I am a salon owner and all my therapists have other duties including reception in their job description and are all more than happy to muck in because they are employed and paid per hour guaranteed.

This is one of the reasons I always employ rather than allow self employed staff. If they work purely on commission or rent a room it becomes awkward when they see these extra duties as stopping them from earning their maximum potential...

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back