Becoming a hair educator

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new here so I'll quickly introduce myself.

I'm Amy, a hairdresser for 15 years both in salons and mobile since my little boy was born.

I'm really interested in becoming a teacher/lecturer/assessor and am wondering if anyone can help me with some definitive answers.

I only have NVQ level 2, do I need level 3? I feel like I've covered most of what is in level 3 over my years working.

Which teaching qualification do I need and does anyone have any recommendations for where to go to get it? (midlands based)

Ideally, I'd love to find some courses I can take in the evenings or at most part time because I'm still looking after my 2 yr old most of the time.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Hello Amy and welcome to SalonGeek.

Assuming you’re looking to teach students studying a recognised NVQ/VRQ type course then the best place to start is your local college(s) and ask about teaching qualifications and courses. It used to be that you completed your teaching qualification and assessor qualifications separately but I think you can now do them both within one longer course.

Again, colleges usually require you to hold a level 3 hairdressing qualification and a minimum of 5 years hairdressing experience but you may have achieved the equivalent of level 3 from undertaking short CPD courses over the years so your best bet is to note down all the additional short courses you have completed and then speak to a college Admissions Tutor and see what they advise. Also, contact a few colleges within your area as they will all offer slightly different attendance and assessment options, so you might find something that suits you bettter overall but it might be a bit further away to travel to.

Latest posts

Back