Been knocked back and not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrijane

Reaction score
Hi geeks
I could really do with some help. I was working 2 job's one was 2 day in a salon as an employed stylist and the other day I was self employed in a salon. I wanted to go full time somewhere and try something new both salons are small independent salon so I applied some some big chain salons. I got and interview that went really well next was my trade test. They were really happy and offered me the job. After much consideration I accepted the job. Before I started in the salon I had to do 2 weeks training in there academy in London. I live in Bristol so it ment I was away from home for 2 week on my own. At the end of the 2 weeks, they informed me that there wasn't a position for me at the salon as I didn't hit the standard they wanted. They didn't give me specifics and said they would send a report with the specifics. I now feel really disappointed and dont know what to do with myself now. What would you do ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know what to say, this is appalling!
Did they definitely offer you a job? Was it stipulated that you had to achieve a certain result? Who paid for the course? Did you get anything I writing, or sign anything?
If they've offered you a job then reneged on it they are in breach of employment law. Not much comfort to you I know but this makes my blood boil. Especially if you have been left out of pocket. I'm not sure if this is common in hair but it frankly stinks!

Yeah they offered me the job got me to sign a contract in a rush they paid for the course as it was at there academy. There was at no point I was told I was being tested. Im shocked and confused that this has happened. I have no idea why this has happened. I really believe im good at what I do .I know everyone has room to improve and grow but I just feel astonished im apparently not good enough.

Id call ACAS first, then there might be a case for claiming costs back through small claims court maybe? For £25 application its got to be worth being a pita for a bit to them!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

What does it say in the contract?

Agreed call ACAS this doesn't sound at all right. Go through the contract with a fine tooth comb.

Thank you everyone I will be taking your advice

Is there a trial period in your contract?

Jemima :)

First off, read your contract.
Did they pay for your accommodation while in London? Or did you fund it yourself?
Did the contract state that employment was subject to successful training or vardering?
Did you struggle to keep up during the training or get any feedback during the course that you weren't reaching the standard?

I doubt very much that companies bother with free two week courses for fun, my guess is that you need to wait for the feedback. Let's face it, if there was no job, or they weren't serious about you, they wouldn't have paid for that course.

As for taking them to court, what for exactly? Did they decide not to employ you due to pregnancy/gender/race? If that's the case, then maybe. If they're saying that you weren't the required standard, and/or there was an issue with your employability, they are fully entitled to dismiss within the first two years of employment.

I can understand that this is a horrible disappointment, but until they give you their reasons, there's not much you can do. If the reason is your standard of hairdressing, then I'd really urge you to take a long, hard look at your skills. A similar thing happened to me when I was starting out, and I almost gave up.
In the end, I took an improver position in a great salon, and re-learnt my skills. I'm so glad that I did.

I have to agree, there really is nothing untoward going on here. You will generally always be on a probationary period for a minimum of three months which is standard in most industries. Upon your appraisal at the end of the three months will determine if you meet the criteria, have an extended probationary period or carry on into the working environment but you can be removed at any point before or after signing a contract and at any length of service, even two weeks. The pre two year rule is for redundancy payment criteria. After two years is when companies must pay redundancy to employees. Before that time you will receive nothing, all very normal. They tell you unfortunately you didn't meet their standards.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I just add that, whilst I think this is appalling behaviour, employers can dismiss an employee for any reason (so long as it isn't because of one of the few discriminatory reasons) at any point during the first two years of employment. Even the three month probationary period doesn't really mean anything nowadays because they have 2 years to dismiss for any reason.

So unfortunate but its true. Hope you manage to find something else soon!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi geeks
I could really do with some help. I was working 2 job's one was 2 day in a salon as an employed stylist and the other day I was self employed in a salon. I wanted to go full time somewhere and try something new both salons are small independent salon so I applied some some big chain salons. I got and interview that went really well next was my trade test. They were really happy and offered me the job. After much consideration I accepted the job. Before I started in the salon I had to do 2 weeks training in there academy in London. I live in Bristol so it ment I was away from home for 2 week on my own. At the end of the 2 weeks, they informed me that there wasn't a position for me at the salon as I didn't hit the standard they wanted. They didn't give me specifics and said they would send a report with the specifics. I now feel really disappointed and dont know what to do with myself now. What would you do ?

I personally would read the report and develop myself in the areas that have been identified that need working on.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Although I suspect that the employer was legally within their means to do this, morally it is inappropriate in that they should be more certain in deciding who to employ so as not to mess people about. They should do a trade test that is long and thorough enough to enable them to make an informed decision. To not do this is to remove someone from the security of another job and I think it's very arrogant and selfish of a company to think that someone would be ok with dropping everything for them.

The only positive to come from this is that they don't sound like a nice company to be part of so narrow escape there I think.

Wishing you the very best of luck in finding something new!

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Although I suspect that the employer was legally within their means to do this, morally it is inappropriate in that they should be more certain in deciding who to employ so as not to mess people about. They should do a trade test that is long and thorough enough to enable them to make an informed decision. To not do this is to remove someone from the security of another job and I think it's very arrogant and selfish of a company to think that someone would be ok with dropping everything for them.

The only positive to come from this is that they don't sound like a nice company to be part of so narrow escape there I think.

Wishing you the very best of luck in finding something new!

I doubt if they did this on purpose. What is regarded as a good hairdresser by one company may not be the same as another company.

For example, you could be the most brilliant, popular stylist in a granny salon, and fall flat on your face in a salon like mine.
If I went to work for an uber trendy, wacky salon, I probably wouldn't fit, as my work is different. Doesn't mean I'm not a good hairdresser, it's just that different salons suit different folk.

I doubt if they did this on purpose. What is regarded as a good hairdresser by one company may not be the same as another company.

For example, you could be the most brilliant, popular stylist in a granny salon, and fall flat on your face in a salon like mine.
If I went to work for an uber trendy, wacky salon, I probably wouldn't fit, as my work is different. Doesn't mean I'm not a good hairdresser, it's just that different salons suit different folk.

That is completely right and I don't disagree but, that should be determined before the person leaves their current position. They would've known that she was leaving another job to move to them so they should've been more upfront about what could happen.

Its not illegal but its not a nice why to do things at all.

Apologies, I'm not even a hair geek. I just saw this pop up on my app earlier :o

That is completely right and I don't disagree but, that should be determined before the person leaves their current position. They would've known that she was leaving another job to move to them so they should've been more upfront about what could happen.

Its not illegal but its not a nice why to do things at all.

Apologies, I'm not even a hair geek. I just saw this pop up on my app earlier :o

I completely get your point, and agree. However, if the OP isn't aware of the reasons, it's hard to surmise.

Hypothetically speaking, I've had girls come for interview telling me they are perfect in every area of hairdressing, and are top stylist in their current salon. During trade test, it's apparent that they aren't within a million miles of the standard that I'm gonna require. Now it could be argued that I can work on their skills and bring them up to my salons standards, and that's correct.
If that person is willing to learn, change, and work in a completely different way, then it can be accomplished.
But
The OP may (hypothetically) insisted that her way was best, and that she isn't willing to change. I've had hairdressers argue with me like that.
I state in my handbook that every haircut should include personalisation. It's a signature of my salon's work. I do it for every client.
What I won't do is accept a shoddy, basic cut, then be told 'it's what the client wanted', or 'it's how I was taught to cut, and I'm not going to change'.
I've never had a client ask me for a bog standard, slightly rubbish haircut, and I doubt if they have either, so I don't believe them.
People either accept my standards, or they walk out the door.

I completely get your point, and agree. However, if the OP isn't aware of the reasons, it's hard to surmise.

Hypothetically speaking, I've had girls come for interview telling me they are perfect in every area of hairdressing, and are top stylist in their current salon. During trade test, it's apparent that they aren't within a million miles of the standard that I'm gonna require. Now it could be argued that I can work on their skills and bring them up to my salons standards, and that's correct.
If that person is willing to learn, change, and work in a completely different way, then it can be accomplished.
But
The OP may (hypothetically) insisted that her way was best, and that she isn't willing to change. I've had hairdressers argue with me like that.
I state in my handbook that every haircut should include personalisation. It's a signature of my salon's work. I do it for every client.
What I won't do is accept a shoddy, basic cut, then be told 'it's what the client wanted', or 'it's how I was taught to cut, and I'm not going to change'.
I've never had a client ask me for a bog standard, slightly rubbish haircut, and I doubt if they have either, so I don't believe them.
People either accept my standards, or they walk out the door.

Sorry to butt in off topic but just wondering what you mean by personalisation? You want to see something different, more time spent? For me for future interviews lol!! Xx

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Personalisation means after performing a perfect, classic cut, slicing out, razor ing, breaking all lines, shattering ends etc.

All cuts should start with a perfect classic cut though. I had a stylist try and convince me that a 'choppy bob' was a good excuse for it being longer one side than the other.

I just think that if this was a trial or dependent on successful 2 week training it should have been made very clear in the contract.
To have someone resign from a current job to do this and end up unemployed is immoral!
It should be made clear that there is no guarantee of employment then the candidate makes a decision to attend or not on that basis.

Personalisation means after performing a perfect, classic cut, slicing out, razor ing, breaking all lines, shattering ends etc.

All cuts should start with a perfect classic cut though. I had a stylist try and convince me that a 'choppy bob' was a good excuse for it being longer one side than the other.

Ahh ok great, Thank-you. And lol now that is lazy!! xx

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back