Been knocked back and not sure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely get your point, and agree. However, if the OP isn't aware of the reasons, it's hard to surmise.

Hypothetically speaking, I've had girls come for interview telling me they are perfect in every area of hairdressing, and are top stylist in their current salon. During trade test, it's apparent that they aren't within a million miles of the standard that I'm gonna require. Now it could be argued that I can work on their skills and bring them up to my salons standards, and that's correct.
If that person is willing to learn, change, and work in a completely different way, then it can be accomplished.
But
The OP may (hypothetically) insisted that her way was best, and that she isn't willing to change. I've had hairdressers argue with me like that.
I state in my handbook that every haircut should include personalisation. It's a signature of my salon's work. I do it for every client.
What I won't do is accept a shoddy, basic cut, then be told 'it's what the client wanted', or 'it's how I was taught to cut, and I'm not going to change'.
I've never had a client ask me for a bog standard, slightly rubbish haircut, and I doubt if they have either, so I don't believe them.
People either accept my standards, or they walk out the door.

That's right but the OP had done a test during the interview process and was given the job and offered further training. At that point, it should've been made clear that, if, after the training, the OP wasn't up to their standard or whatever, she'd be let go. That way, the OP could've made a more informed decision and would've known what the stakes were.

I understand completely what you've said though and I'm sure you would make it clear when employing your own staff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I just think that if this was a trial or dependent on successful 2 week training it should have been made very clear in the contract.
To have someone resign from a current job to do this and end up unemployed is immoral!
It should be made clear that there is no guarantee of employment then the candidate makes a decision to attend or not on that basis.

Any time a person changes jobs, it's risky. Any job can decide after two weeks that a person isn't a good fit. No employer offers or guarantees a job for life from day 1.
I doubt if this company pays for training for people unless it's serious about employing them. I'm sure it didn't do all this for a 'laugh', as they are seriously out of pocket too.
In this climate, it's a good idea to consider 'job security' gained after two years employment as a serious plus point when deciding whether to change salons or not.

I'm not a hair geek but I'm tempted to just pop into Bristol now and come and get drunk with you! That's awful!

Big huglets xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Any time a person changes jobs, it's risky. Any job can decide after two weeks that a person isn't a good fit. No employer offers or guarantees a job for life from day 1.
I doubt if this company pays for training for people unless it's serious about employing them. I'm sure it didn't do all this for a 'laugh', as they are seriously out of pocket too.
In this climate, it's a good idea to consider 'job security' gained after two years employment as a serious plus point when deciding whether to change salons or not.

I'm talking about being a responsible employer. What they're entitled to do is one thing and what they should do is another.
I'll admit I've never worked in a salon environment but if she's coming up short (and it shouldn't be by much as she was offered a job!) then they should give her an opportunity to reach their required standard.

I'm talking about being a responsible employer. What they're entitled to do is one thing and what they should do is another.
I'll admit I've never worked in a salon environment but if she's coming up short (and it shouldn't be by much as she was offered a job!) then they should give her an opportunity to reach their required standard.

They did, they paid for a two week training course for her.
I'm not condoning what happened, and my personal feeling is that they need to overhaul their interview process, but I can understand how these things can happen.
Salons can seem like pretty brutal places unless you're used to the way they operate. People new to salon work are often shocked at how little room for error they're given, especially now, as I believe there are something like six people chasing every salon job, ( and that's at the higher levels, at entry level, I dread to think).
At stylist level, you are given a very short time to demonstrate that you can represent the company in the way they want. People don't tiptoe round, gently encouraging you. If you don't hit a retail target, you might only get one warning before being told goodbye.

It is worthwhile remembering that an employee is there for one, and only one, reason.
To make money.
They are not there to look pretty, be entertaining, to be carried.
If an employee doesn't make money then there is no place for them in a business.
One of the questions I ask interviewees is "what is it that are going to do for my business?"
I'm less interested in what they think I can do for them.

I, and every other business owner, am in business to stay in business, not to be brought down by dead weight.

Harsh, but true. And even truer in these straitened economic times.

It is worthwhile remembering that an employee is there for one, and only one, reason.
To make money.
They are not there to look pretty, be entertaining, to be carried.
If an employee doesn't make money then there is no place for them in a business.
One of the questions I ask interviewees is "what is it that are going to do for my business?"
I'm less interested in what they think I can do for them.

I, and every other business owner, am in business to stay in business, not to be brought down by dead weight.

Harsh, but true. And even truer in these straitened economic times.

That's why employment law exists - to give the 'dead wood' a chance of some humane treatment.
I have been redundant twice and have delivered the news to redundant people as part of my job. It devastates lives and families when you're treated like a commodity to be discarded.

Indeed. I utterly agree that people need to be treated with dignity, compassion and professionalism.

Back