best lights,camera,action

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natc

Reaction score
I need to take some pictures of my nails, just need some advice on what type of camera, lighting and stuff is best for taking close up photos. seen so loverly nails in the gallery, Now i need to know how to do it myself!

I would say use the macro setting if you have one ( this will be the setting that has a little pic of a flower on it) this will alow the camera to focus on the nails closer, for most cameras you will still need to be 20cm away.
I always think my camera takes better pictures in natural light, but that might be just mine. have a play see what works best with your camera.
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Having worked in the photography field for far too long, I would really shop around when looking for a camera..

When looking at digitals it's not about the mega pixels at all... Obviously if a high res will help, but not always.. 3 mp is enough for most situations (unless you want to print poster size!)

You should look for a camera that has good lenses and produces a nice colour and clarity.. General rule of thumb is stick to a good photographic brand, Canon and Olympus have been my fav's for digital images.

You definatly want Macro. Go test them in the shop and see if they go close enough. Some can go as low as 2cm from subject.. (at this range the flash can be pretty useless)

For flash if you can get a camera with a "fill flash" it will probably be more usefull as it's not as strong so won't "wash out" your photos.

What else.. um.. zoom. Yes, always go for optical zoom (where the lens moves) digital zooms will only make the photo look less sharp and grainy...

Hope that helps ;)

Good advice above
I love my Canon G5 and I can get in extremely close...sometimes cruelly so!
I have the prob that Envy mentioned though...cant use my camera's flash on macro...total wash out!
So, if youre shopping for a camera and dont wanna start getting all technical be sure to ask about using the flash with macro or you may find yourself shopping for add-on equipment like me! :rolleyes:

Great advice above. My opinion for what it's worth is dont ever use the flash when shooting close-up, it's nearly impossible to get a natural looking picture, that's true for me anyway. :)

Steadiness - This is the real key to getting good shots, and it will only come with lots of practice. Try and rest the camera and your hands on something before you shoot.

Backgrounds - Try using different backgrounds and materials to spice up your images, but remember, it's your nails that people want to see so dont lose out on the important stuff.

Finally, dont forget that digital pics need to be resized for the web, they are way too big to be displayed on a webpage and they take forever to load. Not good news for your visitors if you dont do it.

Thanks for your replies everyone i'll let you know how i get on!

Latest posts

Back