Best van to turn into beauty van?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Mellor

Reaction score
HI guys, i've been thinking about setting up a mobile business for a while and came up with a great idea for a beauty van but i have no idea where to start. I know what I want to be in it but haven't got the first clue about vans. I would like it to be big enough to stand up in realistically and also long enough to fit a couch, sink and nail station in. Preferable I would like it under 3.5 tonne so I don't have to do another driving test but I don't know if this is possible? Thanks for the help guys! xx

You'd probably be better off looking at a motor home, ready installed water, air-con, etc. you'd just need to remove seating and install your treatment couch. They are also fitted with 'steadies' - wind down feet to steady the van whilst you move around.

You will probably have to take your extra driving test, but it's not hugely expensive, I think it's a couple of hundred pounds, which you should be able to offset against your business costs, or you'll end up with a vehicle too small for your needs and it will become uncomfortable for both you and the client. It's a lot of time and money to invest to get wrong.

I think your biggest problem will be insuring the vehicle, it's unusual, it will have quite significant modifications and will be a commericial vehicle so will immediately be higher premiums. About 10 years ago I had a little Peugeot 206 van which I had fully signwritten for my business. In the second year my insurance renewal came in at over £800. When I queried it, I was told a commercial vehicle was subject to higher premiums despite the fact that I didn't actually use it for work, I'd given up mobile I just used it as my day to day car. If it had the car, not be the van version (no seats in the back) my insurance would have been £300 even with sign writing for the business. Madness but you can't fight insurance companies.

Did some googling, found this too which is what you're trying to achieve I assume

http://www.beautyonwheels.org.uk/mobile-beauty-salon-bolton-mobile-beautician.html

Note: the VW Crafter is in the 3.5 tonne category

I've had a mobile barbershop for the last 5 years. It's a high top long wheelbase Renult master 3.5 ton. I did not need an extra driving test. My insurance is under £500 fully comprehensive. It's great and the van advertise's it's self.

Can't give you much advise on this but such a good idea! There is one in my area that is pretty popular, I haven't seen it but apparently it is almost the size of like an american RV!! Good luck :) x

Latest posts

Back