Bit of advice, taking mobile business into rented space!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailz73

Reaction score
Hi all

I am just after some tip and advice really as i am now thinking of taking my business to a new level.. I am predominatly mobile and just started back before xmas, my baby is 20 weeks today... i am currently on maternity leave from my non nails jobbie and am able to leave if i want to when my 26 weeks smp is up..

how ever, i am finding now a struggle to be mobile as i suffered a bit through pregnancy and also after.. this being said i have had an opportunity my way of renting a space within a funky fashion boutique in my town, the lady had already had someone doing this service (nails and lashes) but had let her down many times and then suddenly left .. I havent seen the space but am aware there is a table etc... set up.. i am going t see her tomorrow.. It is still my own business but just renting the space from her..

i can only really work 2 days a week at the moment.. and unsure of what days to do for the best and the shop is only open 10-4pm and 10-2 on a saturday..

what i am basically after is the best negotiation terms... she has mentioned a weekly rent reather than a commision based and she was so let down by the other lady,,, also the other lady had a few unhappy clients who did not return.. so i am really nervous..

i am also concerned about my timings as i usually set 2 hours for my enhancements (being mobile i included setting up, travelling etc..) sometimes i run over.. i.e of the client has to keep answering phone, looking after children, animals in the way.. i guess mobile work has got me down a bit..and couple that with a bad pelvis still its grating at me lol.. and i really do not want to go back to my non nails job..

how many of you rent a space and have you made it work as opposed to being mobile.. have you foudn you work much faster working static,. >???

I am off to see the lady tomorrow.. so hopefully it will feel right to me.. just gathering thoughts on different ways of working i guess.. oh and i will have to do a course for lash extension as she has alot of ladies asking about it.. (the boutique owner is not in the industry btw),,.

any advice thoughts or tips will be greatly received.. i so want to make this work and bring my business up a notch.. :O)

Sarah xxxx

Hi,

I wouldn't over-stress yourself regarding timings. Even if you're working static, you are still going to have what I always called 'set-up and clean-down' times in between each client. So you may find nothing much changes there to begin with. Set yourself your two hours if you think you need it for clients initially and then as you get quicker, you can reduce that so you are able to add more clients in.

As you are mobile, will you be bringing your clients into the shop with you? I would definitely negotiate a commission split to begin with and perhaps discuss making it a rent after that. You have to work out how well it's going to suit you if you only want to work 2 days a week. On a weekly rental you might not break even if you're only there 2 days a week.

Do you enjoy your mobile? There's a lot to be said for having such flexibility in your work when you have a young child. I've tried employed work in salons and room rental when both my children were really small. I now work from home and I do some mobile clients. It works a treat around my children and I don't have the extra outlay of rent.

Have you thought about bringing your service 'in-house' to your home to make it easier with your baby?

Good luck today with the shop. Let us know how it goes.

Also forgot to mention - Thursday - Saturday is generally busiest in terms of salons. I'm not sure how that would equate to a boutique.

I would definitely plump for commission only though. Supplying your own products etc, see if you can get a 70 / 30 split in your favour. Anything better than that and you're on a winner.

Hi thanks for the advice.. i dont actually enjoy being mobile anymore.. didnt bother before i had my second child but had a rather bad time with it.. and my pelvis and back still bad..

I did discuss with her the commission based... but then i read that it can work out less in your favour.. ie.. earn more pay out more..

i will still responsible for my business, stock products, clients etc.. and the lady is always having enquiries as someone used to be there before doing it..

i might discuss a rent based on a trial basis see how it works.. i cant have a home salon as such .. only have a small part of my kitchen and in rented accommodation.. i only do my friends or family here at home, and the odd repair..

i am seeing her today to get a feel of the place and see what we come up with.. am rather excited though i was thinking of asking around places to see if there was a space to rent, and up pops her advert.. maybe it is karma.. !!!

Sarah xxxx

Ah yes, the dreaded lugging of equipment on a mobile basis!

How about asking her to do you a commission basis for a set amount of time to begin with - say 8 - 12 weeks on a commission split and then go to a weekly rent after that. Just a thought, but working part time you may find you don't cover a whole weeks rent depending on what she wants.

I did that with my first room rental and it worked an absolute treat. By the time I had to start paying rent I had enough customers to cover it.

What I also did was to work mine out to see if the rent was worth it - i.e take my 3 days, work out how many treatments I could fit in to them and see what that would earn me each day, then knock 75%. 50% and 25% off. That way you'll see what you can expect to earn on a quarter full book, half full book and a full book and you'll know if it will work with the rent she's asking for.

Good luck today. xxxx

Latest posts

Back