Bleaching disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am not a stylist. I took my teenager daughter to a Salon we had used many times before. She wanted lilac hair. When she walked in her hair was ombre/bronde and in excellent condition. They bleached it, put an ash toner on it then used crazy colour in lilac shade.

The lilac only worked on the roots and same patchy areas around the hair. The next day we went back and they said they would try again, they re-bleached and used another toner and this time the hair went blue/grey. We had spent around 10 hours in the salon that day.

Following day we went back again and they used a bleach shampoo and then tried a platinum toner, this time they were trying to achieve a silver blonde shade (having given up on the lilac) even though that's not what she wanted she would have settled with anything half decent. We walked out of the Salon after another 10 hours with yellow hair :(

My daughter's hair is ruined, it's frazzled and some of it has broken at the ends. Her scalp is irritated from the bleach (this also nipped the skin on the top of her ears). We are both heartbroken. She is reluctant to leave the house because she hates her hair so much and she is going to find it near impossible to ever trust another hairdresser as am I.

She is desperate to go back to Ombre or Balayge. We visited 3 Salon's today for consultations. The first 2 said leave for at least 2 weeks (during this time use intensive treatments to help condition) then they would recommend using a red pre-dye before using a darker brown shade to avoid it going green. They don't advise ombre or balayge. She doesn't want it all dark brown because her own hair colour is dark blonde and her skin is very pale so she feels this wouldn't suit her.

The other Salon we went to for a Consultation said they could do Balayge next week.

I am terrified, any advice would be most welcome.

Yes I know they shouldn't have bleached it so much in a short space of time and I know it's very bad for her hair but all I want to do now if get on the road to repair and get her a colour she finds acceptable.

It's impossible to give a fair comment without seeing/feeling/testing it to be honest.
Do not despair....there's much that can be done.......but DO choose your salon wisely.
Ask around for a recommendation, and go for a consultation.
This is a job for a senior/experienced colourist, and be prepared for a hefty bill at the end of it!
GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes. :)

I would consider lowlights to break up the blonde and give her hair more dimension.
If she decides to do a root stretch/ ombré look id advise her to stick to her natural level on the roots. If she goes darker than her natural shade it will look terrible growing out.

Have u got a pic ?

Definitely choose an experienced colourist this time around. You could also ask if any of the staff have completed a Masters in Colouring. If they don't know what you're talking about, try another salon.

May I ask how old is your daughter? Salons in the UK are not insured to apply any chemical colouring services to anyone under 16 as its against the manufacturer's instructions.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, she is 15 years old.

The salon's we have visited for Consultations have said they would need to put red in her hair to pre color it then try and get it brown/ombre.

They said this would be to stop it going green.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I'll try and upload a pic.

Thanks for you help x

Yeah, a picture would be great... But any professionally trained stylist who regularly does color services shouldn't have a problem correcting this. Asking us here isn't going to help you much besides muddying the waters for your future stylist?

Can I just play Devils advocate here...she shouldn't of even coloured your daughters hair in the first place. Colour products have stated for a while, even OTC box colours, are not to be used on under 16' s

EDIT - sorry AcidPerm, just noticed you'd already brought that up

Latest posts

Back