Bleaching over red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvaLily

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I have a client who has a faded red (home semi) on her hair and she wants to go blonde using bleach highlights.

I have done a strand test and the resulting colour was a yellow/orange - how can I get it to lift to blonde?

Would you advise a bleach bath first to remove some of the red?

Thanks in advance for any tips, I'm fairly inexperienced in colour and would appreciate your advice. :lol:

I did this on a client last week, I used eraser. It's a brilliant product and should pull out all the red in 15 mins and a little heat. If needed you can rinse and re apply. The only problem is you can't tint for 48 hours after using this product or the red will return. but you can bleach. It may still leave the hair with warm tones but the red will be gone.you could then put a few
bleach hilites through to blend. I did this and got a good result without bleaching the whole hair and drying it out. Hope this helps x

Thanks 133ann yes that helps a lot. I've never heard of eraser, I'll try and get hold of some tomorrow.
Failing that - would you suggest that I just leave the colour to fade, or maybe try bleach highlights with a 9% instead of the 6% I used for the strand test?

Thanks 133ann yes that helps a lot. I've never heard of eraser, I'll try and get hold of some tomorrow.
Failing that - would you suggest that I just leave the colour to fade, or maybe try bleach highlights with a 9% instead of the 6% I used for the strand test?

Don't automatically think higher peroxide lifts more, try 3% and leave it to lift out slowly and properly. Use a violet/blue bleach or if you use matrix, green color graphics is amazing go lift out red.

yes i agree use a 3% or even 6% if need be and keep checking the hairs strength.

Thank you that's very helpful:lol:

I can't say this enough - you get a MUCH BETTER and cleaner lift with 3% you just have to leave it on a bit longer and keep checking it! :)

Latest posts

Back