Bombshell! Apprehensive

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggle

Reaction score
Been dropped a bombshell by my husband tonight! He's got to transfer and we have a choice of Bristol, Leeds or Sheffield!! It's not just moving the
Kids, changing schools & leaving friends

Oops where did rest go? But i've built up a thriving lil mobile business and that will all be gone! Advice please - how do I make such a decision on areas i don't know? How is the Industry in these areas?

Whereabouts are you now? Xx

I know it may be selfish on your side of it but go on the Internet to search out how many mobile stylists are in the area (or therapists) and chose the one with the least. Xoxo

Which of these choices will give the most stability for his job? Thinking about not wanting to move the children again within a short time.

All choices will give you, and your business, good opportunities. Good luck!

That's a difficult one but remember that you've built a business up once so you have experience and are more aware of the pitfalls than most. If it was me I'd look at the areas and decide which I felt was the best place to bring up a family. If your children are happy and settled that leaves you with more energy to rebuild your business.

Massive hugs to you though. This nearly happened to me a few years ago but my husbands move fell through. I was gutted about the possibility of having to leave my business. Let us know how you get on xx

Totally agree with redduck and dpoppy :) job stability for hubby and best place to raise your family. Visit each place, look up houses on right move, look at local council sites, schools, ofsted etc etc.

Continue to look at other businesses in each area, I know it must be daunting for you and a bit saddening for your business but you can do it lovely. Treat it as a new and exciting prospect and adventure. The worlds your oyster lovely :)

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Hubby and I live apart during the week due to work circumstances. Kids are well settled in school and I have my client base here. During the week he's off to another part of the country and comes back Friday night. The world does not revolve around him, we have to make sacrifice so that it works for everyone.

I'm in south west! I don't want to
Move and haven't mentioned it to children as will so upset them, Bristol is Nearest but would be temp whereas Leeds & Sheffield would be perm and promotion x I'd prefer he'd live away during the week : / he's hurt I feel that way! : (

Leeds is a massive and lovey city, they have a Harvey Nichols and some really nice boutique shops in the town centre.

Yep I would have to agree there, but I'm probably biased as I live in Leeds lol😁 x

Living in the south west, are you used to beach lifestyle? I was going to big up Bristol as I stay there a lot and many are not aware of what a great city it is, as well as being close to the south west (but I know you are there now!).

It depends what you are used to and what you feel you could not live without. Beach and country lifestyle is a biggy for me, so I know I couldn't live anywhere that didn't give me that or at least access to that without it meaning planning a mini break! You need to think about so many things, but I would start by examining you and your family's lifestyle.

Leeds is a massive and lovey city, they have a Harvey Nichols and some really nice boutique shops in the town centre.

OMG, The OP is in turmoil about what the future holds for her family/kids and fella's prospects and your reply is that there is Harvey Nichols in Leeds, well isnt that a deal sealer.

If the kids are settled at school then I would too ask the other half to commute as a test for lets say 6mths and see where you stand then, dont rush into anything especially disrupting the little ones, if your fella is getting promotion then what if he doesnt like his new role and wants to move again....More disruption for you and the family.

Hope you sort it so all your family are happy.

Leeds is a very nice city and there's easy access from there to lots of beautiful places to live, plus it's a growing city so likely to be plenty of money around for you to earn! Your catchment area for clients could be quite big around there - and it's a lovely place to raise a family with easy access to the countryside and York and Harrogate close by for days out etc. Why not go for a weekend and see what you think?

Id say bristol i live in leeds yes its a big city but i wouldnt say its an amazing place to live, york is a lovely place to live and great place for buisness maybe your husband could commute from there as only a 30min drive, i suppose you have a lot to think about good luck xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I move all the time hubby in forces and kids adapt better than adults,
We don't look at it as hassle more excitement but I'm used to it now,

If he's been offered a promotion and a contract I'd visit both these places and visit schools get a feel for the area,
If your a home owner I'd suggest renting your house out so you can always go back if need be, we have done this!

You will be able to build up another clientele no probs thats the plus point of our industry as long as women are on this planet we will have a job just like dr's 😉 don't even worry about that just now! Focus on secure job for hubby and settling kids!
Good luck and be positive

OMG, The OP is in turmoil about what the future holds for her family/kids and fella's prospects and your reply is that there is Harvey Nichols in Leeds, well isnt that a deal sealer.

Bit harsh - I think Sandwiches was just trying to give an example of the kind of area it is, as in if there is a Harvey Nichols, there are probably people in the area who have a good amount of money to spend, therefore may be a good place to set up a business.

That's how I read it anyway.

I live in between Leeds and Sheffield in the countryside and have the best of both worlds. Easy travelling into both cities and lots of villages in the middle.

Good luck, come up and have a look.

Latest posts

Back