Booth rental with a boss?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy_cbell21

Reaction score
The shop I work in is booth rent that takes walk in only. No appointments or booking/records. I've worked there almost three years and I Love the shop, never any drama, great clients and co-workers. I pay rent based on the 2 days I work. If I take the days off I still pay rent, if I work extra days I pay extra rent. Today there was a misunderstanding with the owner who also works in the shop. She thought another barber and I were taking Sunday off so she posted the shop closed for the Holliday. When we corrected her she got very upset and yelled in front of clients that she is the boss and she said the shop's going too be closed. I am still expected too pay rent for that day. I'm pretty sure if I stand my ground she will let me go, but I can not afford too take the day off and still pay rent for it. I really can't afford too be jobless either though. Any advice is welcome but what I'm really after is how do I let my clients know I may not be there next week in a way that will not make her fire me on the spot? If she's going too let me go it will be after work tomorrow because it's our very busy day. I was thinking of just handing each one a card with my cell number under lined and expect a lot of texts next week.

I assume that you're self employed? Are you in the UK? If shes choosing to close the salon on a day that you're supposed to be working then surely she cannot expect you to pay rent when she's not allowing you to work. Do you have a contract?

No, the OP's in the states where they have very little regulation regarding employment laws. That's why service workers rely so heavily on tips to make up their wages.

Unfortunately, that's probably what the UK will end up with following Brexit. :(

Latest posts

Back