Brand names

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColourGirly

Reaction score
With your 'consumer head' on how important do you think brand names in hair, beauty, skin or nails?

Do you really care if it's L'Oreal or Wella, Shellac or Gellish?

Surely people ask because they've had a good experience with one or heard something about the other, or do they just have what their beautician or stylist promotes?

Brands matter. My partner won't use anyone who isn't officially CND shellac.
If brands didn't matter to consumers we would all buy ford cars over BMW and generic brand handbags over Chanel.

My mrs recently spent a quite a bit on Chanel makeup and as a bloke I obviously see it's all the same coloured stuff on a pallet but she assures me there is a difference....

It's a fact that some generic brands are just as good / better than the top stuff yet will never sell as much. It's the marketing that pushes a brand. I stand by the fact I think Dre Beats headphones are massively over prices for the quality which isn't great. I have had my fair share of £40/£50 DJ headphones that have been just as good if not better, yet people will still pay over £200 because of the name associated with it.

Im mobile, but id say 8/10 new client calls I get are because they are looking for Bio sculpture or Fake Bake by brand awareness. Xx

I care. My clients may not even know what I use but I make a point of telling them. I tell them that of all the products on the market, in my opinion these are best because.......
My clients all have shellac. They might not but they think it is all the same as my shellac. The fact that they ask for shellac speaks volumes. I think it is important as a therapist to know why you use a brand. Sadly a lot of therapists are like a lot of clients. They don't do their research and are swayed by price. I know why I use every brand that I use and I took none of them on lightly. It makes my working day a pleasure!

Vicki x

Im mobile, but id say 8/10 new client calls I get are because they are looking for Bio sculpture or Fake Bake by brand awareness. Xx

Brand awareness by who?

For example I love bio sculpture, I moved and saw most places did shellac, it fell off 3 times in 2 different salons. So I hunted down bio again, just because I thought shellac was crap!!! Don't all jump on me I know it's not now! But it was only through my original tech using bio and recommending it.

So is it brand awareness or just sticking to what you know from a good experience.

It's brand awareness, believing in the product and providing a top notch service.

Brand awareness by who?

For example I love bio sculpture, I moved and saw most places did shellac, it fell off 3 times in 2 different salons. So I hunted down bio again, just because I thought shellac was crap!!! Don't all jump on me I know it's not now! But it was only through my original tech using bio and recommending it.

So is it brand awareness or just sticking to what you know from a good experience.

Brand awareness due to both brands having a good reputation. Some clients are just looking for a new mobile tech who have already tried & like the products, others have heard that those brands are good, plus they been around years & they believe its better to opt for something they have already heard of than to try something new.

I have a bottle of Nouvatan, which I offer a little cheaper... I maybe do 1 nouvatan spray every few months. I offer both tans to clients, & tell them my prices. The answer is usually Oh no, Il go with FakeBake.

With Bio, it has usually been recommended by friends or they have tried Shellac & are looking for something stronger.

Of course, I think Shellac had brilliant marketing...the name was well known in a short time, its been copied, mis sold by people using gel polishes, but Bio/cal gel has been around much longer (well before my time as a tech) so I cant recall any marketing by these brands.

Xx

Latest posts

Back