Brassy highlift tint highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie123

Reaction score
hello, I am new to this site and I was wondering if anyone could please help.?
I have highlighted a friends hair with Voila 12 and 12% peroxide.
No bleach.
(No contact with scalp when highlighting.)
This has been fine before and given a good lift. However the last two times the roots have gone brassy.
I used milkshake purple shampo straight after the last highlights and this didn't help at all...in fact I think it made it worse....
So now I am sick with worry as to how to get rid of the brassy roots.
Do I use a toner? If so which one? On the whole head? Or just the roots.... The mid lengths/ends are fine...and if it use a toner what happens to the hair that isn't highlighted?
If not a toner then what?
Would be so grateful if anyone could offer any advise .. Appreciate its a long post and lots of questions!
Many thanks
Ronnie X

Are you a qualified hairdresser?
What was her starting level and what level did you lift it to?

Are you a qualified hairdresser?
What was her starting level and what level did you lift it to?

I am qualified to level 2. And I know a little about colouring that we covered at college and since but obviously not a lot... Hence my questions.
Started with base of 6 and lifting to level of 10+

Which highlift tint did you use and what developer? Some have underlying tones of gold. It would probably be best to highlight with a neutral high lift tint and alternate with a prelightener (which can be toned down if too light ) as you’re wanting to lift 4+ levels you’ll probably get a better result with prelightener as the highlift tints I’ve used are designed to give 4.5 levels at the most. Hope this helps!

Which highlift tint did you use and what developer? Some have underlying tones of gold. It would probably be best to highlight with a neutral high lift tint and alternate with a prelightener (which can be toned down if too light ) as you’re wanting to lift 4+ levels you’ll probably get a better result with prelightener as the highlift tints I’ve used are designed to give 4.5 levels at the most. Hope this helps!

Yes that helps... thankyou.
(I used Voila 12 and L'Oreal creme peroxide)

Where are you buying your products as it’s not a brand I’m familiar with?
Also, why are you not using the matching developer?
Highlift tints don’t work well on anything lower than an 8. You’re better off using bleach then toning.

Latest posts

Back