Bringing the cost of stock down

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
Hi

Iv been doing some thorough workings out yesterday and I'm shocked as to how much money I spend on restock per month.

The most expensive outgoing was restocking Shellac. There's 3 of us in the salon and on average I spend £205 replenishing stock.

Iv been racking my brain all night as to how to bring this down.

I understand it's one of our most popular treatments but the cost just seems extortionate.

Any ideas on how to bring this down?

Lauren xx

The most expensive outgoing was restocking Shellac.
I understand it's one of our most popular treatments but the cost just seems extortionate.
Any ideas on how to bring this down?

Why are you focusing on reducing your expenditure on stock?
Are you stocking (unpopular) colours that don't get chosen often and get thrown out before the bottle is empty?

Does you amount of income reflect the amount to stock you are going through? Look at the "cost" per service percentage figures if it's higher than you need to be then worry, if not tho there's nothing to worry about, take into account it's a rather busy time at the moment, so lots of product is getting used. I worked it out that's an average of 13 bottles, that doesn't seem too much for multiple staff working flat out for a month?

I suppose 13 bottles doesn't seem a lot. Iv never worked it out before and I was shocked that that's how much we get through. I'm not making a loss I'm just surprised that's how much we get through. We aren't just a nail salon and all three therapists do equal amounts of other treatments.

Have you got cost estimate figures from when you started? If it were me I'd revisit those figures and then break down the current figures, I.e x amount of applications per bottle and see if it looks ok, unfortunately when using top end products like shellac the cost of but in is a lot

It's misleading as it depends on how frequently you're spending so much just on restocking shellac. Is it restocking or adding new colours as well?

When I do virtually any order - shellac, gel ll, Ellisons etc a rarely spend much under the £200 mark but I'm certainly not doing it monthly.

I did do a little belt tightening a while ago and looked at several things I felt I was paying a lot for.

Make sure you're signed up for all special offer/vat free days and that you don't spend just because you can.

There are certain things I won't scrimp on and others that you really can.

Vic x

Thanks for the advice guys xxx

I must do the same soon. I have no idea how much I spend on stock. I'm planning on working out cost per service too soon. Xx

Surely you must be making money on it, or possibly it might be going missing....

I have to say Shellac is my least profitable treatment. It's better for nails than acrylics but not better for my pocket ;)

I would definitely look at how many services you have done in the month against your stock reorder!
It's very possible that bottles may be disappearing?!
To check this start a stock control system like this:
Put a plastic box in your staff room for empty containers and tell staff to use it for finished products that need to be reordered. This way they know monitoring is taking place! (Also helpful for recycling)

Years ago I had a good therapist who became a bit light fingered - she would bring in a jar and fill it up with my most expensive foot mask to take home!!

Latest posts

Back