Brisa peeling off acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wednesday

Reaction score
I've watched the video (bored by the fashion show, Creative promo), the rest of the presentaion was very good. And read most of the material (a new batch of papers received yesterday in response to questions about issues not covered in the instructions). Nearly 20 years of experience doing nails, worked as an instructor for another gel company for a while.....so I didn't expect this problem......

I've used IBD and Light Elegence (the most successful two) over acrylic to seal nails on some clients (and to make a perm french polish) because I hadn't found a gel that I thought held up well enough to stand on it's own for most people (I hand file so I attract a lot of thin-nailed or problem nail clients). I hoped Brisa would be the one that would hold up but I havent' t had the time to strip the acrylic and start new on anyone (not a fair test anyway, since the nail is thinned by primer use). I prepped as instructed and applied the pink, white paint and clear. Looked excellent! But on half the clients it peeled off the acrylic within a couple days. On some others it began just before their appointment and as I filed it I could tell it hadn't adhered. On others it seemed Ok on most nails. I went back to IBD for most and brought the kit home to experiment on myself this week end but I don't have acrylic, I use color gel......short, short nails (reflexology).

What could have gone wrong to cause the peeling?

An observation about Creatives info.... "rebalancing" seems silly, as did the fashion show beginning the tape (talking to the tech about fill, not discussed in booklet, "what is a rebalancing?", Oh, that's what we call a fill"....Lord, a state of stability, harmony? What in the word "balance" applies to filling the growth on a nail? why not "imbue, replenish"....). My clients don't parade down a runway with mud and sticks in their hair. I'm not intersting in catchy-lingo, but in solid dependable, effective and profitable product.

The first thing to check is your PREP steps, make sure that the nail has been completely cleaned, is free of dust, oil, lint what ever...then apply the primer (small bottle I'm at home so I can't check the name) to the natural nail only. If you don't use this the enhancement will lift. Then use the clear gel, a very thin layer, making sure to stay just inside the edges of the enhancement. The steps are similar to IBD and Light Elegance, after you have gotten the thickness and the shape you desire, make sure you have gotten ALL the dust off and scrub fresh really well, pull back the lateral folds and make sure there is no dust or product in there. Then seal with the fininshing gloss, making sure to cap the free edge. As long as I make sure to follow the manufacturer's directions completely, I haven't had a problem with gel peeling off acrylic. (I had to try it on myself before putting it on clients, so I would know what to expect. I'm very active outdoors and did not experience any problems at all...with my nails that is:o I'm rather accident prone as a rule)

As to the language used in the video, Creative is trying to bring the industry up to a more professional level, by using scientific words and phrases, they are insuring that nail technicians willing to go the extra mile to researdh and keep our knowledge level growing at the same rate as technology. They also want to remind us that no matter how scienitfic we are, and no matter how far technology or research go, we are still dependant upon the vanity and fashion trends of the consumers. So while your clients don't parade around with mud and sticks in their hair, and the furthest thought from their mind would be strutting their stuff on the runway, they still want to be attractive and feel a little like that model who gets paid gobs of money to look that way. I haven't met a lady yet who doesn't like being complimented on her looks. (including myself, and there is NO WAY you could force me on that run way with those stick people...I'd look like Attila the Hun next to them!)

Just a short note on Brisa over L&P....this is how I do it.....
File prep............ Brisa needs to be able to grip the old coating, so make sure you use a 180 grit file and don't smooth buff the nail before Brisa application, Scrubfresh, liquid bond 2-3 fingers at a time, work the first thin coating in small circular motion into the nail, this creates the grip base so to speak................the rest as advised..........

Here in the UK a fill would be just that ,filling in the growth gap near the cuticle........ a rebalance is restructuring the nail creating the right balance ,visualy and in structure.... i.e apex needs re-locating, smile line...aso.....

HTH

Just a question out of interest. If you were please with both IBD and Light Elegance why swap? I love IBD and it took a lot of being unsatisfied with products to get me here. I wouldn't change brand now, IBD are cutting edge and offer everything a tech needs to create the most fantastic nails out there.

Just another thought! Did you invest in the Brisa UV lamp, or are you using your existing lamp? It may be that the uv bulbs you have aren't the right ones for Brisa and so haven't fully cured the gel which would result in it being a bit soft and peel off.

I didn' t find the IBD to have the strength needed for many clients. It worked on a few, but had to be so thick that it was unatractive. Light elegance seemed to suffer from irregualr adhesion, sometimes great, other times lifting. I had such success with Lume and Dubunne in earlier years....maybe I expect too much. I am very impressed with the Brisa french.

Bought the full kit....

No, as I said I followed the instructions to the letter. I'm really confused about the whole thing.

Hey Wednesday,

Im sure we can sort the problem out. However I need a touch of clarification:

If I am correct, you are rebalancing over existing L&P?
Is the Brisa pulling away from the existing L&P or from the natural nail (or both)?

My guess would be its more of a prep issue than not simply based on your various issues with other systems.

Here are some other things that may help:
Prep tutorial
Brisa Q&A
Another Brisa Q&A

As far as lingo, a huge % of international techs refer to maintenece of the nails as rebalancing. Its usually far more complete of a description than 'filling'. However, I guess it doesnt matter as much as long as your clients know what to book you for ;)

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=4146

Latest posts

Back