bubbling airbrush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alison27

Reaction score
hi ,ive just started a new job in a beauty salon they have an air brush and was supposed to be trained to use it last sat but the girl who was gonna train me waters broke , so i was shown how to put paint in little funnel thing and spray and thats it.Anyway i cleaned it and went to use it again today and the air is going through but the paint is bubbling up what have i done please help me.x

it sounds like it hasn't been cleaned thoroughly...i do this all the time!
Jackie will probably come to your rescue...
you need to dismantle it and soak the nozzle and nozzle cap in a solution of airbrush cleaner or window cleaner/water. this should loosen any dried paint. I have Harder & Steenbeck evolution airbrushes which i alway block with createx paint (need to thin them) and they sold me a little gadget thing for cleaning the nozzles - it works without damaging...

You prob havent cleaned it out thourghly enough, so the air can get through but the paint cant, so rather than going through it is bubbling away in its well. If you have been shown how to take the airbrush apart i would soak it through thourghly with airbrush cleaner, sometimes when you think its clean tiny particles (especially if its metallic paint) can get clogged.
Hope ive helped

yes i use Createx paints and find they clog abit to, I have the Badger airbrush, cant remember which one though :confused: . Thanks Tickled Pink will have to try mixing them with water, see if thats better

As Dianne says - improper (or lack of) cleaning.....

Am surprised (no, maybe I'm not) the salon has let you use the airbrush without showing you properly how to use/clean it......

Anyway, between colour changes you should fill the paint cup with water and run through to remove the old colour. At the end of each session, or at the VERY LEAST at the end of the day you should put airbrush cleaner into the paint cup and run through. May help to let the clener sit in the paint cup, run a bit through and let it sit again, so the clener has a chance to dissolve any build up. The needle should also be removed & gently wiped to remove any paint stuck to it. BE CAREFUL when re-inserting the needle you don't force it, otherwise you run the risk of bending it.

As Dianne says, you may need to take the end cap and nozzle off and soak them in cleaner.
Personally, I wouldn't feel happy doing this unless someone showed me first, and I certainly wouldn't let anyone NEAR my airbrush if they didn't know what they were doing.
Not getting at you, not your fault they can't be arsed to train you properly...

thanks i will clean again tomorrow, i have been told to clean it with nil varnish remover is this wrong, i think im in way over my depth here.Have you got any tips on how to use it

i personally wouldn't use either acetone or non-acetone! All those little rubber seals....oh no! However, there was an article in either PN or Scratch recently about soaking a really blocked airbrush in acetone....try the cleaner or window cleaner first!

Hi, it could be 2 possible reasons, youv'e got dried paint in you gun, this is the most likely as it's quite difficult to clean properly when you first start, what you need to do is take the gun apart(nozzle, needle), and soak in neat cleaning solution, standing the gun in the solution so it covers the well. This will proberly take a few hours or if youv'e got time overnight.When youv'e soaked it take the blunt end of the needle and scrape it down the inside of the nozzle this will take off loosened paint, clean the inside of the well with a stiff brush, and wipe the needle with a cloth. Now reasemble, run neat cleaning fluid through the gun and then plain water. You will now be ready to start again. Remember to flush with water between colours, diluted cleaner between clients, and soaked overnight in neat solution, a small film container is ideal to hold your nozzle pieces so you don't lose them. Now the second possible reason is youv'e cracked the nozzle, the only solution to this is to replace it. It's always a good idea to keep a spare nozzle anyway just in case, also if your gun is blocked and your in a hurry, you can always just swap the nozzles over untill youv'e got time to clean it properly.

Hope this helps you

Karen.xx

That's terrible that they have just dropped you right in it and expect you to be able to airbrush - good grief!! :irked:

Everyone has given good advice, it's more than likely a blockage and, with Badger paint I'm not surprised. The two colours I have in the Badger range are lovely BUT horrendous if you don't clean them thoroughly, and straight away after using them. I got them mixed up with my Medea paints while demo-ing at one of the shows here a couple of years ago, sat talking to the person for about 5 minutes, went to clean the airbrush and the paint had dried like rubber! I had to dump that gun in my box and replace it, took me ages to get it properly clean that night.

Medea paints are wonderful to use and don't cause half as many problems as other brands. What part of Wales are you in? If you're in North Wales and anywhere near the Wirral, I'm there for a couple of days in a few weeks (end of Feb), so if you wanted to pop over for a few hours with your equipment I'll run through things with you and at least try to get you on the right road regarding the airbrushing. It wont be as in depth as my usual airbrush classes, but it will give you a better idea of how to look after your equipment and the basics of airbrushing - I'm not touting for business, just offering a freebie!

If it's any good to you let me know and we'll get something sorted.

Jackie :D

thanks jackie thats really kind of you, i live in south wales i will ask my boss if i can lend the equipment thanks again.xx

Latest posts

Back