Buying polish for salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasmum

Reaction score
Hi,

A question for you regrding polish. I am going to be renting a space in a salon and wonder about buying polish. Did you start with just a few basic colours and gradually increase? The polishes are pricey and I want to use creative polish on my clients but dont know where to start.

Should I buy say 10 and keep them out on display.......advice please.

Cheers Sam

Firstly are you buying polishes to use on clients or to Retail to them?

If you want to boost your profits then retail is the way to go.....

Therefore I would only have a small selection...say 1 of each type of colour...red, brown, pearly pink & a nude pink (negligee)..to put on clients in the shop (and charge accordingly)....and have a more varied selection that they would have to purchase if they wanted that on their nails.....a nice display stand is best as this attracts their attention.....if it is properly positioned...after all...Eye level is Buy level!!!!

the customer services girls at Designer nails would be able to tell you the top sellers to help you stock the best ones.......HTH

10 would be a great start as so many clients love ther forever french and are reluctant polish wearers i find, but its nice to have a range for just incase and it looks great in the salon. maybe start of with some winter colours with some softer tones thrown in eg. negligee etc. creative usually brings out a new collection for summer and winter- geeks correct me if im wrong- i know they used to, i found this a cost effective way to add to my collection, lately in australia we hav had smaller collections available more regularly eg. valentines etc, trio collections. the seasonal collections came with a nice display box.at last count i had over 130 creative polishes some of them are years old and theyre still good quality. i have a compulsive addiction to buying nail polish i think! have fun choosing!

:lick:Hi
I Rent A Room In A Sunbed Shop And I Bought My Nail Polish Of A Market Stall Which Sold A Lot Of Nail Polishes From Debenhams They Are Really Good Nail Polishes
You Buy Nail Polishes From Any Where,
You Tell If Its A Good Nail Polish As They Have Ball Bearings In Them If They Don't Don't Buy As They Go Hard Within A Month Or So, Buthave Tried Looking On Ebay I Buy A Lot Of Creative Nail Polishes Of There

I built mine up from day one - stuck to one or two brands (opi and orly) and made sure I had a good range - from nudes to pink to red and some blues and coppers and golds - also think of the time of year too - most of my clients opt for dark reds and plums at the moment, so 10 as long as you choose well and get a decent make!

I just started useing China Glaze.Has anyone heard of them? I used to use collection 2000 as I could afford a better brand.

You can purchase a stand with 2x 18 ( so you get 36 altogether) any colour polish you want from creative for around £113.50. I know this as ive just ordered one today. When i first started i had a selection of polishes to use on clients but not that many to retail at first, but gradually i got more and more. Hth.

also instead of the stand creative do a mobile case with 30 polishes of your choice for around £110 which i think is good- i want one for xmas!

ellasmum said:
Hi,

A question for you regrding polish. I am going to be renting a space in a salon and wonder about buying polish. Did you start with just a few basic colours and gradually increase? The polishes are pricey and I want to use creative polish on my clients but dont know where to start.

Should I buy say 10 and keep them out on display.......advice please.

Cheers Sam

You would be better off buying X amount and getting the stand free - I am sure that is how it works but feel free to call Denise in the OSNS on 0113 216 3016 and she can tell you;)

insette23vhf said:
:lick:Hi
I Rent A Room In A Sunbed Shop And I Bought My Nail Polish Of A Market Stall Which Sold A Lot Of Nail Polishes From Debenhams They Are Really Good Nail Polishes
You Buy Nail Polishes From Any Where,
You Tell If Its A Good Nail Polish As They Have Ball Bearings In Them If They Don't Don't Buy As They Go Hard Within A Month Or So, Buthave Tried Looking On Ebay I Buy A Lot Of Creative Nail Polishes Of There

Not disputing the fact that you can buy nail polishes from anywhere but if you want quality you ahve to pay for it. if ex stock is finding its way to a market sale then chances are its been deleted and can no longer be found in stock, this does not bode well for retail.

As to ebay we all have ahd plenty to say on tha tmatter in the apst and we are not saying dont buy them from there but why pay through the nose when with a seconday account from Designer nails you can purchase top quality creative anil polishes for a fraction of the cost on ebay.

Sorry but just my opinion.

I started out with China Glaze, OPI, Essie, and Creative.

I had a good selection from all of them, some where around 80 plus bottles and have slowly culled my collection. How? Customer choice. I kept track of which polishes the customer preferred or choose each time they came in. Yes, I keep a client card on all of my clients.

I am now down to China Glaze and OPI. As OPI is much more expense, and I find I like the brush in China Glaze better I will probably build my collection with them. Though many new clients ask if I use OPI, once I explain there is little or no difference between the two and guarantee the polish they are happy. I have had pedicure clients with the China Glaze on for 6 weeks with very little wear.

Speak to the sales person at your supply house, they are full of great information about the best sellers and classics.

Have fun picking them out.

My two cents from Canada:D

Hi

You just mentioned essie products - are they good? I have also seen seche products as well? I am just starting out and want to buy base/top/fast drys etc. what does anyone recommend?

:Love:

Mrs Geek said:
You would be better off buying X amount and getting the stand free - I am sure that is how it works but feel free to call Denise in the OSNS on 0113 216 3016 and she can tell you;)

This is what i wish i had done, instead i bought a few each time i went in the warehouse. only because i couldnt pick them all at once, there was too much choice.

and when i had a look at GMEX OH MY GOD!!!!! there was gajillions of colours and i got confused and i wasnt well so i just kinda stood there for a minute or two gawping at them all, :eek: then just couldnt take the build up of pressure it was causing in my head and walked away lol.

I got the summer collection from cesars secrets and my clients loved them they have a new collection out now and there is 12 polishes on the stand the stand comes free and it also gives me chance to give my clients more choice as i can never decide on the polishes i want to buy​

Latest posts

Back