Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with Gelish nails here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

body talk

Tinkerbell
Reaction score
Hi! Can you take a moment to look at these two links I've put up and tell me what's wrong with my gelish nails?

The first photo (of the hot pink nails) is a client who came in after 3 weeks saying that the edges of her nails next to her cuticles are scraggy and didn't feel smooth like she wanted them to.

The second photo (of the paler dusky pink nails) is the new set of gelish I put on her. I've added it so you can see my application technique and hopefully offer some advice in how I can remedy this scraggy look into a smoother cuticle look. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    890.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 165
It looks like the polish hasn't been applied smoothly and cuticle work hasn't been thorough. It looks rough and raised where it has been touching the skin.

It looks like her eponychium is thick and jagged, and in trying to avoid painting the skin, your line at the eponychium is also jagged. I'd really encourage your client to be using cuticle oil religiously and for you to focus on a good cuticle clean up. Much easier to paint a nice smooth line at the eponychium when there's not all that skin in the way.

Your cuticle prep is the main problem.

Looks like in the first picture you've gone too close to the cuticle and as it's grown out it's gone like that.
In the second picture it looks like the cuticle area hasn't been cleaned up enough.

I would personally work more on the cuticle area and get that under control. I know dry manicures are all the rage right now but I personally think sometimes a good soak and proper cuticle work can go a long way. Also get some cuticle remover too and give that a go.

And then advise your client to apply cuticle oil frequently.

I don't think its because dry prep is in fashion it's because so many of us now use gel polish rather than traditional polish so the nails can't be soaked

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate reading them all. Yes, it's a Gelish nail polish so the nail couldn't be soaked - however, I don't use a cuticle remover (other than pushing it back myself and nipping away any raggedy bits of cuticle, so I'll look into some cuticle remover, and try work some more on my cuticle work. I'll also encourage the client to use a cuticle oil at home to help soften the cuticles.

On clients with very hard cuticles I either soak for a few minute first to soften cuticles or use a cuticle remover. I just make sure i cleanse the nail plate twice before applying gel :) xx

It looks like the polish hasn't been applied smoothly and cuticle work hasn't been thorough. It looks rough and raised where it has been touching the skin.
Thanks. Could you give me any advice on how to apply the polish more smoothly?

Looks like in the first picture you've gone too close to the cuticle and as it's grown out it's gone like that.
In the second picture it looks like the cuticle area hasn't been cleaned up enough.

I would personally work more on the cuticle area and get that under control. I know dry manicures are all the rage right now but I personally think sometimes a good soak and proper cuticle work can go a long way. Also get some cuticle remover too and give that a go.

And then advise your client to apply cuticle oil frequently.
Thanks. Could you give me any advice on the second picture, how I would clean up the cuticle area? Once it's been cured under the lamp is there anything I can do to clean up the cuticle?

On clients with very hard cuticles I either soak for a few minute first to soften cuticles or use a cuticle remover. I just make sure i cleanse the nail plate twice before applying gel :) xx
I think that might be an idea for me to start soaking the cuticle first to soften it, and then just make sure its really cleansed and dehydrated before putting the gel on. I wasn't aware I could soak if I was putting gel on. Thanks.

I don't think its because dry prep is in fashion it's because so many of us now use gel polish rather than traditional polish so the nails can't be soaked

Doesn't dehydrator counteract the soaking though?

Im very limited in my knowledge because I'm only just about to qualify so soaking is something I've been advised to do more than not.

That said, if this were my client I'd have given her a soak, pushed back, clipped off the excess, applied cuticle remover and removed any stuck to the plate, wiped off with acetone, dehydrated twice and then applied gel - finish off with a massage and then apply cuticle oil liberally.

Thanks. Could you give me any advice on the second picture, how I would clean up the cuticle area? Once it's been cured under the lamp is there anything I can do to clean up the cuticle?
Personally I do it all before any gel is applied I've never worked on a cuticle after applying gel BUT I'm still in college so this could just be something I haven't encountered yet lol

Doesn't dehydrator counteract the soaking though?

Im very limited in my knowledge because I'm only just about to qualify so soaking is something I've been advised to do more than not.

That said, if this were my client I'd have given her a soak, pushed back, clipped off the excess, applied cuticle remover and removed any stuck to the plate, wiped off with acetone, dehydrated twice and then applied gel - finish off with a massage and then apply cuticle oil liberally.
No the nail plate is porous so can absorb water. Dehydrating it won't remove this.
Soaking is usually done with a normal polish manicure.

You can use a gel brush or a clean up brush to clean up and mistakes and sweep around the cuticle. Dip in your cleanser then blot and go around.
You do need to do thorough cuticle prep though to remove any tissue from the nail plate.
A cuticle pusher and curette are perfect tools for this.

Latest posts

Back