can getting minuscule amount of scrubfresh

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafxgal

Reaction score
on newly applied tips cause shattering of the tip area?

I have a client who is heavy handed and I have told her she is not having them the length she wants them as she is too hard on them. She is shattering the tip area and I was wondering if it is small amounts of scrubfresh accidentally getting on the prepped tipthat is weakening them? I do scrubfresh before I apply the tips but fidgety client, etc I like to quickly give another wipe before I apply product.

Cheers

Last edited:
yes definitley sheryl, its a dehydrator. i was wondering why some tips suddenly appeared cracked after i had blended and prepped. now im extra careful with it, it doesnt happen. another cause of cracking can be the tip sized too small, but im sure your not doing that!
icon_smile.gif

After you have blended your tips yes you will need to re scrub fresh the natural nail. Try and keep it off the tip, as it will cause it to break down, a small amount getting on there won't do damage in my experience.

HTH

Cheers for the info guys,

I'm at my wits end over this, I don't know what else to do. :sad: I must admit to trying the prescription nails, and would you believe she never.... and I mean never broke one, but do you think I can get it right with l & p.
She has been getting her nails done for about 4 years by me and we did have problems before I tried the dreaded prescription nails, but not this bad. What do I do? Persevere with the l & p or just give her what she wants with the others?

Cheers

Hun what do you mean by prescription nails? I use scrubfresh to dehydrate the nail and some does get on the tip and I don't get cracking, but I used to. Many things can cause it, holding your tip cutter at the wrong angle, tip cutter being too blunt, trying to put too curved a tip on a flat nail plate which when it is cut put micro shattering down it and after a day or so they suddenly start to show. If this is ringing any bells then look at some of your techniques. I'll try adn search out the threads that helped me with this, they are quite old threads and I knwo the ones I mean! bear with me I'll be right back!

Hiya...I used to get cracks alot and for me it was the scrubfresh...Now after i have tipped and blended i use a cotton bud dipped in scrubfresh, this way i get none any where near my tips. Quick test for you...get a tip and put some scrubfresh on it...see how quickly it cracks. xx

im having the same problem at the moment, sassy i too thought it could be my tip cutter being blunt ive had it over a year now, i was going to say how long do they last but then i suppose it depends how much you use it for. so i guess i need a new one then.xx

NailStyle said:
Hiya...I used to get cracks alot and for me it was the scrubfresh...Now after i have tipped and blended i use a cotton bud dipped in scrubfresh, this way i get none any where near my tips. Quick test for you...get a tip and put some scrubfresh on it...see how quickly it cracks. xx
good idea, i use the edge sanitising spray do you think this could be a problem too.

Sassy Hassy said:
Hun what do you mean by prescription nails? I use scrubfresh to dehydrate the nail and some does get on the tip and I don't get cracking, but I used to. Many things can cause it, holding your tip cutter at the wrong angle, tip cutter being too blunt, trying to put too curved a tip on a flat nail plate which when it is cut put micro shattering down it and after a day or so they suddenly start to show. If this is ringing any bells then look at some of your techniques. I'll try adn search out the threads that helped me with this, they are quite old threads and I knwo the ones I mean! bear with me I'll be right back!

These here: http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/14043-great-new-revolution-enhancements.html?highlight=prescription+nails
I admit it, I am guilty of trying these, to be honest they did hold up well, never had a problem with greenies or anything like that, I just didn't like them, the shape was not what I like and I didn't like the idea of soaking them off every two or three weeks.

I've run through serveral old threads and I have gone thru my list of things that could be going wrong and the only thing that I can come up with is that
I was getting scrubfresh on the tip or it's because I am thinning the tip, whereas I never used to thin the tip before, it's only since reading on here to thin the tips that I have started doing it. It wasn't something that was taught on my course. I was taught to blend the tip in but don't recall anything about thinning the tip.

My tip cutters are only about 6 months old and only get used maybe 3 or 4 times a month, so they shouldn't be blunt.
There's an angle to using the tip cutters? Okay I now know I know very little.

Envy...... I wish the 7th Nov would hurry up! Teach me and I will learn.:lol:

Cheers for the links and advice Sassy.

I'll definately try the cotton bud with scrubfresh NailStyle, Cheers.

regards

edit: sorry forgot to add that it is only on her that I am having probs, I follow the exact steps on myself and on my other clients and don't have problems with breaks/shattering on them

i hold the tip cutters almost at 90 degrees to the tip, with it pointing just slightly towards me. I had the same prob as you and it was trial and error for a while, but (touch wood) it rarely happens now.

Re the presciptions nails, I would say as long as they aren't causing her any damage to the nail plate, no risk of infection etc then if it works for her and she wants them then do it. But you also need to get to the root of the cracking tips. Are her nails quite flat? You'd be better with an eclipse tip maybe? or sculpt? Hope you get it sorted as I know how frustrated I was when it happened to me.

Sassy Hassy said:
i hold the tip cutters almost at 90 degrees to the tip, with it pointing just slightly towards me. I had the same prob as you and it was trial and error for a while, but (touch wood) it rarely happens now.

I always say, You learn something new everyday. Thanks for that, I'll try the angle thing with the tip cutters when I see her next:D

Sassy Hassy said:
Re the presciptions nails, I would say as long as they aren't causing her any damage to the nail plate, no risk of infection etc then if it works for her and she wants them then do it. But you also need to get to the root of the cracking tips. Are her nails quite flat? You'd be better with an eclipse tip maybe? or sculpt? Hope you get it sorted as I know how frustrated I was when it happened to me.

She has odd nails, some are flat, and some have a beautiful shape, but she can break the beautiful shape one time and not the flat or the other way round. I don't have eclipse but I do cut out a v shape in the well of the tip for the flat nails. I'm not confident with sculpting, as wasn't really focused on when I did my course, .......but I shall be fixing that problem soon, so I will try sculpting again, once I've been shown how to do it properly.

Thank you for the advice and good wishes, I shall perserve and get this problem beat, even if I end up finding the nearest concrete wall to bash my head against in hopes that it will help.:D :D :D

Regards

grafxgal said:
even if I end up finding the nearest concrete wall to bash my head against in hopes that it will help.:D :D :D

Regards

Ahh so satisfying to relieve tension, and even better when it stops!

Sassy Hassy said:
Ahh so satisfying to relieve tension, and even better when it stops!

PMSL. Well said

Latest posts

Back