Can Heat Affect Monomer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
I know that heat and humidity will affect the cure time of monomer, but can heat affect the stability of monomer somehow?

I've had some problems recently with my l/p and this question popped into my head along with many others.

I have a 16 oz bottle which I have been using since March, there's about 1/4 left. It is stored in the salon, out of direct sunlight, top screwed on tight....temperatures in the salon I guess have been the same as anywhere else round about the country in a salon where there is no air con...(I know I'm in the sunny South West but even down here we dont get the temperatures of Miami Beach).

So could my monomer have been affected by the heat, causing the symptoms of premature ageing?

Thanks.

well hun I dont know if this will answer your question but i did my sisters nails last week in the garden lmaoo and i have my dappen dish wiht my liquid in and I heard a crack it was my liquid it had set solid on my bottle of liquid it does actually say keep out of direct sunlight lol and only stor ein a certain temp hope this helps hun maybe someone with more experience can help ya ;)

HI, If the monomer gets too hot then in-bottle polymerization can occur!!!
Has your liquid thickened up? if so then I am afraid that is what has happened.
Just as well it was 3/4s empty, as it would break my heart to think of all that monomer going to waste!!:cry:

When I did L&P I went to a friends house and did her nails. After I was done we shared some wine (Ok a lot of wine) and I decided to leave my stuff there until the following day. It was actually 2 days before I collected and she had moved my bag in front of a radiator. I was gutted to find my Retention + had set solid, good job it was a small bottle.

No, it definately isn't polymerising in the bottle.

Most monomer liquids have a shelf life of about a year when kept in the correct conditions listed on your MSDS.

Your liquid should have a batch number on the bottle from which the company you got it from should be able to ascertain how old the liquid REALLY is.

Thanks......still trying to get my head round it all.

geeg, do you know if acrylic powder has a shelf life too? What about Gels?

sarita said:
geeg, do you know if acrylic powder has a shelf life too? What about Gels?
I know I'm not geeg, but.. LOL

Powders have a 24 month shelf life,
BRiSA gel products have 12 month shelf life.

HTH

thanx Envy!!

corr that was a quick reply!:)
how could i check this though? Alot of companies order things fron America and sell them here because they make such good profit. Whats to say the products have been in America or the warehouse for ages to start with?

Pays to buy from reputable companies etc, at least you know they buy what they need and not just stock pile when it was on special ;)

Good Question.

You have to trust your suppliers and if you have a query, quote the batch numbers.

The busier the company the more often they turn their stock over ... something to think about there eh?

However your comments about buying form the USA because such a good profit is made is a little simplistic to say the least and not in fact correct.

Profit is not a dirty word .... everyone is in business to make a profit or there is no point to being in business. I can tell you this, nail techs make a bigger profit on their products than the suppliers do!! What do you think about that? YOur products cost you about 10-13% of your price for a full set of nails. So you make 90% profit ... that's more than any supplier makes on their products. Of course you have other overheads in your business too. Guess what .. so do suppliers ... massive overheads like staff and warehousing and shows and on and on and on. THINK about what you are saying and the 'realality' might come clear.

The reason suppliers order form the USA is because that is where the products come from. Not because the profit is bigger than the profit on anything else in any other business.

sarita said:
thanx Envy!!

corr that was a quick reply!:)
how could i check this though? Alot of companies order things fron America and sell them here because they make such good profit. Whats to say the products have been in America or the warehouse for ages to start with?

Envy said:

HTH

Is this the shelf life of Brisa Gels once opened ~ any idea of how long unopened?
Just a bit worried I have over stocked.

The shelf life can be WAY longer than a year on all Creative products BUT the company will only guarantee for a period of 12 months if kept in conditions as per the MSDS..

I have had my Brisa products for almost 2 years and they are just fine and dandy and I live where it is HOT.

It's interesting because I'd never thought about shelf life until now and it has thrown up some interesting food for thought.

I'll look into the batch number and date of manufacture just out of interest, but have decided I won't be using it again anyway!

hi... i gotta get in on this....do powders REALLY have a shelf life??? if so is that opened or unopened???? my fav powder is discontinued so i bougth big ole jars of it...So im in the USA and i pay about $20-30 depending what kind and where i go for a medium bottle of monomer. im sorry but i do not know the monetary conversion, so if ne1 does we could get an idea of the markup. on that note, it would be great if i could find the exchange rate so i could talk price differences between our countries...ne help would be appriciated.
Envy said:

HTH

Once again can I reiterate --- the actual shelf life can be MUCH longer than 1 year if kept in the right conditions as per MSDS (having been opened or not) ..... BUT ..... ONE year is all the manufacturer will guarantee the product for .... and I don't blame them considering how some technicians store their products with a complete ignorance of the correct conditions in which they should be kept. Does everyone understand that now?

I have had powders for years that are perfect ... I have had other cheaper brands that you open them after time and they have yellowed and have a crust on the top. :( Good products stored under the correct conditions will last for many years but willnot be guaranteed by the manufacturer beyond one year.

Yes, that's totally understood....I checked my MSDS today and as far as that goes I have been storing it correctly, the only question mark in my mind is ambient temperature....what is an ambient temperature? Does it mean the same temperature that it is usually stored in?

So can turns of temperature then affect the product?

If this is the case how could one assure an ambient temperature at all times?

I know that the temperatures this summer say overnight have not been mega extreme, but in the winter months they can be.....in the converse to what we are experiencing in the summer months.

Tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree....just very interested to know.

I would say an ambient temperature is around the 70's .. the sort of temperature you keep your house at in the winter.

Too much heat is more of a problem than too much cold, and damp conditions don't do powders any good.

It is highly unlikely in the UK that your products would reach temperatures higher than these unless stored in direct sunlight or a car boot. We really have pretty much the perfect climate for both doing nails and storing nail products in the UK. I would say that practically speaking, temperature is just not a problem you need to be concerned about where you live.

Cathie! said:
my mind is ambient temperature....what is an ambient temperature? Does it mean the same temperature that it is usually stored in?

So can turns of temperature then affect the product?

If this is the case how could one assure an ambient temperature at all times?

I know that the temperatures this summer say overnight have not been mega extreme, but in the winter months they can be.....in the converse to what we are experiencing in the summer months.

Tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree....just very interested to know.

Great minds must think alike, I asked Doug Schoon this very question, as our climate here can range from 20 below(winter) to 110 (3 days straight this past July) Ambient temperature is considered to be comfortable room temperature...between 72 and 78 degrees. If the temperature is lower the reaction time slows, if warm it increases. Polymers contain BPO (Benzoyl Peroxide) which is an initiator and small chains of monomers aka POLYMER as well as color and stabilizers. If conditions are favorable the product will form complete polymer chains. Give an initiator a reason and it will go, making your entire pot, well....go to pot.

Heat, sunlight, and moisture are the biggest culprits for causing initiation of your polymerisation process. HTH

Latest posts

Back