The big chill! Is it affecting your products?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unique Nails09

Reaction score
Hello all, after just finishing a nightmare day I thought i'd ask if any one else's products have been affected by the horrible cold temperatures we've been having of late.

I had a horrendous time with my first two clients - our shop doesn't get all that warm and this morning it was an icebox - resulting in my acrylic taking an age to set, crystalizing and generally awful to work with, i use aroma free (crap and i hate it but under the strict stipulations of the salon i Have to use it ) as we all know sets slower than conventional monomers. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to work with the product when it is this cold, and how does the temp affect the products performance

Ta in advance x:zzz::irked::cry:

One of my vanishes froze because I left it by the window by mistake:eek: I've had to move them to under my bed to keep them out of trouble but I can't think of any tips for enhancements products.

I have been warming my clients hands by having the MINX heat lamp on whilst I file away for a rebalance. Also, whilst doing this, I have my monomer sat between my legs to warm it.
This has really made a difference. I was having an awful time with the product just not setting and kind of 'slipping' off the nail. All sorted now and did good nails again today.
Can't say loads of nails as I have had the worse week ever with cancels/not being able to get in/etc...etc....I AM HATING THIS WEATHER!!!

not sure if this will help but when a salon newly opened near my old house a while back i went and had my nails done there ... there shop was freezing as they were waiting on the heating to be fitted but what he did was poured out his monomer he would be using into a dappen dish with lid then just placed it ontop of the radiator heater he had on for a couple of mins while he was sorting himself out and that seemed to work for him ...... cant say ive had to do that myself but thought id mention it xx

its very cold in our salon overnight and we are resorting to putting gels,glues, monomers etc a cupboard overnight. then once the room is warm we are putting them out on our desks .

it was -12 here last night and our salon has no central heating, we are heating the place with plug in heaters and we are struggling a bit!

Thanks guys, what a pain this weather is, i've had loads of cancellations and hardly made any money at all this week. I could have cried today but i have been thinking of placing my dappen dish in a bowl of hot water to warm the monomer up slightly, hope this will work.

Thanks again folks x
:hug:

Today I watched a demo on Youtube for young nails and the tech had her monomer on top of a small heat pad, on her station. It wasn't in view but she mentioned that was what she was doing to counteract the cold. Good idea, I thought!

Hi , I think from my experience quiet a while ago with CND, their Moxie liquid, is especially made for colder climates, and it sets more rapidly.

Our salon is very cold too. :eek:(sounds bad):eek: But I put my monomer between my legs to heat it up well doing prep work. I also bought a small heater to keep beside me well I am working.

My salon has been so cold my husband is fitting me some more radiators in tomorrow, My primer was frozen solid. We have had to warm up the monomer with warm water and ive brought an electric heat mat from argos for 15 pound to warm up the clients hands it fits on the nail desk like a dream and whilst im doing there nails it speeds up the setting and clients think its wonderful

Today I watched a demo on Youtube for young nails and the tech had her monomer on top of a small heat pad, on her station. It wasn't in view but she mentioned that was what she was doing to counteract the cold. Good idea, I thought!

Was this an electric heat pad? If so, this is such a bad idea I can't even think about it. Same for putting monomer on a radiator. Those things can get really hot, plus one can forget how long the monomer was sitting on it. This stuff is explosive, people! That's almost as bad as that tech in the news last year who put acetone in the microwave to warm it up!

Peeppaws has a good idea - use your body heat! Use a small monomer bottle, and tuck it between your legs or deep in a pocket next to your skin while you are prepping. If you can, take your monomer home and keep it in a warmer environment if you don't want to leave it in the freezing shop all night. Decant your daily amount into a smaller bottle if you don't want to lug a big bottle around.

Also - these have helped in immensely when I do mobile work for clients with poor heating in their houses: Heart Hand Warmer: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty
E10942-xlg.jpg

You just warm them up in a pot at home, then click them when you want them to get warm. Put your clients hands on them while you are prepping and the hands are toasty warm for when you apply your products. It works great and is not a danger to the monomer.

Hopefully this cold weather will end soon, but just stay safe out there in the meantime!

My gel pots have all leaked everywhere!! and the cold is the only thing i can put it down to as it's never happened before and all 4 of my large pots had leaked all over the place yet the lids were on securely.

its a nightmare roll on summer! But then we will be complaining our products are setting too fast!

Can anyone recommend a good odour free system or one that creates a low odour than that of NSI Attraction. I couldn't believe how rubbish spa aroma free was in this cold, the acrylic wasn't even bonding to the nail! x

I too am suffering from the cold I work from my summer house that has no installation yet even my solar oil was freezing. I got a few heaters and put the heater under my work station draws and opened the draws with my products in them. It worked wonders I also put a single heated sheet on my clients chair they sat with thier hands under thier bottom for a few mins to warm thier hands.. I have had no prob with the last few sets I have done.:lol:

to save money i have brought timers and put my heater to come on at 5am so when i go in its warm. this wk i brought a halogen small heater as a booster. I have had this trouble too with acrylic slipping off the nail i have metal draws under my nail desk with all my nail stuff in and i wheel it nxt to the heater for when it kicks in.

xx

sounds great, i'm definately going to invest in one of these! Thanks for all your replies, i'm glad its not just me struggling working in this cold, it makes things such hard work!

xxx

I find with clients arriving with their hands frozen what works for me is I have a Lavender/wheat bag (that you heat in the microwave) I place this inbetween the towel that I am using and then place my couch roll sheet over this it quickly warms the hands by the time I have prepped their nails and is a nice welcome touch. I dont have a problem with products being cold as I work from a home based salon. I do also have a little fan heater that I can put on for a blast to take the chill off. I would probably take home my monomer & primer as suggested in an earlier reply.

Was this an electric heat pad? If so, this is such a bad idea I can't even think about it. Same for putting monomer on a radiator. Those things can get really hot, plus one can forget how long the monomer was sitting on it. This stuff is explosive, people! That's almost as bad as that tech in the news last year who put acetone in the microwave to warm it up!

As I said, it wasnt in view, she just explained that was what she was doing to counteract the cold in the arena of the trade show. Obviously health and safety is paramount :)

I dont put the monomer on mine I only use it too warm up clients hands they dont get very hot just enough to warm them up

Latest posts

Back