Can I use a large washing up bowl as a pedi bowl?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi, we have a foot spa in work and it's filthy I refused to use it with out liners. I bought liners from eBay but they are very flimsy and float and balloon in the water doesn't look very professional. Anyway I've been looking at large washing up bowls and thought this would be better than a foot spa and I can disinfect between clients?
Any thoughts?

I used to work in a very good salon that used washing-up bowls for pedicures. A client would soak their feet in a bowl with salon pedicure bath soak in. It was done in this way because it made filling, empting, and sterilising easier especially in a busy salon where there were three rooms downstairs and doing pedicures all the time! It is a good idea and maybe use a pedi bowl for luxury pedicures! We cleaned the washing up bowls after every client and wiped with surgical spirit on large cotton wool pad.
Hope this helps!

My personal opinion is no. I'd be horrified if I went for a pedicure and got a washing up bowl to soak my feet. I can do that at home. It's not professional.
There are 2 foot spas/bowls that I know off that have disposable liners

Same as Cinders, if i went for a professional pedi & they brought out a washing up bowl id be very miffed!

Belva (think thats the name) bowls are really reasonable & have disposable liners as do Footsie Spas (thats what I use) but these are about 4x the cost of the Belvas. I have such a quick turnaround its great to just bin one liner & pop in another :)

I use a foot spa (I'm mobile) but after each use I thoroughly rinse it through & cycle it on "bubble mode" with an anti bacterial wash, then thoroughly rinse & dry it. This doesn't take long at all. Your not doing any treatments on clients with any contraindications so what could other clients "catch!?"if rinsed & cleaned properly!
Also there is no reason a foot spa should be FILTHY if everyone is doing their job properly! This sounds like something the manager needs to address, doesn't everyone have an area/equipment in the salon they are responsible for keeping clean!?

I'm undecided on this one. I've had pedis using a bubbly foot spa which have fallen down because of seeming rushed, or a rough touch or an uncomfortable seat. I've had pedis in a bowl which have been wonderful due to amazing massage and fab products.

The receptacle does not maketh the pedi imho lol

Am I alone in not liking the noise/drone of a machine? It spoils the ambience, although the jets are very nice.

I'm undecided on this one. I've had pedis using a bubbly foot spa which have fallen down because of seeming rushed, or a rough touch or an uncomfortable seat. I've had pedis in a bowl which have been wonderful due to amazing massage and fab products.

The receptacle does not maketh the pedi imho lol

Am I alone in not liking the noise/drone of a machine? It spoils the ambience, although the jets are very nice.

Yes, agreed there is more to the client experience than just the bowl.
I have a foot spa that bubbles & vibrates so I switch it on when their feet go in first, then I go and make their coffee, and switch off when I come back. That way the noise doesn't bother me or interrupt conversation.
:)

Personally I can't stand those vibrating foot bowl thingies, but neither would I be happy if someone produced a washing up bowl! You can buy some really nice resin, metal or wooden pedicure bowls that don't require disposable liners, and can simply be washed and disinfected. Wooden ones are a bit more work as they require constant sealing with wax and oil after washing to ensure they don't absorb water and split.

I know you shouldn't have to do this but could you clean it yourself & hope it shames other therapists into bring more hygienic?.

My boss won't spend the money and nearly had a fit when she was the more professional pedi bowls. She wants me to use the old foot spa but every time I try to explain about the foot spas begin un-hygienic she says the foot spa has been rinsed with disinfectant and its fine. I'm trying to find something not too expensive also one that I can disinfect properly between clients.

My boss won't spend the money and nearly had a fit when she was the more professional pedi bowls. She wants me to use the old foot spa but every time I try to explain about the foot spas begin un-hygienic she says the foot spa has been rinsed with disinfectant and its fine. I'm trying to find something not too expensive also one that I can disinfect properly between clients.
It sounds like a difficult place to work and dangerous if things aren't being sanitised.

This is the thing, nobody has a clue about sanitization so I am trying to set up my own process on a very small budget using alternative ideas. It took a while for me to get through about not using a razor blade to take hard skin from feet. I refused to do it. There no patch testing for eye lash adhesives/ tints. There no consultation forms for for different treatments just a generic record card and all I can get on that is name and adress. There's lots of other things I need to change/put in place.
I can't leave my job as I am not in a position to. I have to stand my ground and change things it's quite frustrating at times.

I used to work in a very good salon that used washing-up bowls for pedicures. A client would soak their feet in a bowl with salon pedicure bath soak in. It was done in this way because it made filling, empting, and sterilising easier especially in a busy salon where there were three rooms downstairs and doing pedicures all the time! It is a good idea and maybe use a pedi bowl for luxury pedicures! We cleaned the washing up bowls after every client and wiped with surgical spirit on large cotton wool pad.
Hope this helps!

Yes it does thank you! Xx
I think also it's not just about the client experience it's the finished result. It's about the client putting there feet in a clean sanitized bowl with no cross contamination no matter what the bowl is.

Ikea sell massive metal bowls that look really professional and they're about £3/4. They're perfect for pedis, I use them myself. And with them being metal, they're easily cleaned and disinfected.

Ikea sell massive metal bowls that look really professional and they're about £3/4. They're perfect for pedis, I use them myself. And with them being metal, they're easily cleaned and disinfected.
Have you got a pic pls? X

Latest posts

Back