Caring for Nails Damaged at a NSS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth10

Reaction score
I recently got a set of acrylics done at what turned out to be an NSS (which is a story in and of itself--she told me they were gels!). The tech used a coarse drill on my nail plates before applying it.

After the service, I did some research on after-care, discovered that I had acrylics and not gels, and also found myself with some serious concerns about the service I had received, especially regarding sanitation. After about two weeks, I soaked them off using acetone.

The condition of my natural nails is HORRIBLE! They're very thin and flakey and the ends of my fingers don't feel protected at all. I trimmed the free edge down quite short, but I'm not sure what else I can do to take care of them.

I will get some enhancements done properly, but for various reasons it makes sense for me to wait about 6 weeks to do that.

In the meantime--what would you suggest I do to take care of what's left of my nails? Is there some sort of polish-like product that will make them at least feel stronger?

Also, has anybody used DermaNail from Summers Labs? I have used 3 of their other products (not nail products) and they are nothing short of amazing.

I'm also going to be spending some time trying to find an excellent nail tech to do my enhancements. It seems that most of the places around here are either cheapie nail bars or very expensive day spas. Assuming I can find something in between--how would you suggest I try to figure out if it's a good salon/tech? Do you think they would be offended if I asked them a bunch of questions about their training, experience, and what products they use?

Thank you.

no decent tech would be offended by you asking questions. do be aware that its not just the product they use but the skill and experience they have in applying it. i would try to find someone whos nails you like the look of and ask them who their tech is. so much easier to go by recommendation.

in terms of what to do with the nails you have now...
well firstly i would have advised NOT to remove them but to find a good tech who would thin them down and rebalance them with a quality product so that you would gradually grow out the damage whilst keeping your nails protected.

because that is not now possible, your best course of action is to keep them very short so that there is no leverage against the weakened nail plate.
rub in cuticle oil 3 or 4 times a day to help nourish the nail plate and keep things flexible whilst stimulating faster growth.

keep a coat of clear polish on to give them some protection. if the polish chips a little it wont show, just put on another coat every couple of days without removing the polish. remove it once a week. better than removing a dark colour often because chips will be more obvious. remover will further dry your damged nails so minimise its use.

i wouldnt bother with a hardener, the nails are not going to be cured by it. they are damaged because layers have been removed, no product can replace that. you simply have to grow the damage out so that they are replaced by healthy new nail.

your cuticle oil will still do its job even if you keep the nails polished, it will be absorbed around the perimiter of the nail. this really does work, you must keep it up.

hope that helps somewhat and they are feeling better soon.

Everything Angel Fingers said above. Excellent advice. :)

As for finding a good nail professional: Personally, I would stick with hair/nail salons and advise staying away from 'discount' nail salons. That old saying, you get what you pay for, definitely holds true.

When you do find a salon, ask questons. What brand of product do they use? Is the tech licensed? For how long? If you are having enhancements, ask about the prep. Since your nails are delicate at the moment, they need TLC! You don't need someone coming at you with a 100 grit file to 'remove shine'. :eek:

Maybe start out with manicures or try Shellac. I have had success with folks who could not grow nails who can now with Shellac. I also feel Shellac will give you the 'protection' you need w/o causing any trauma to your nails.

Best of luck to you... :)

I agree to with all of what angelfingers said lots of oil but try to avoid to much water as water won't help, and like deanosnana said see if you can find a tech who uses CND shellac it is the first product of it's kind, it goes on and off with no buffing, fililing and no drilling (efililing )of you nails,
it will help with the sensitivity, and it has a ridge filling property to it so if there are visible dips in your nails from the damage it will help with the look :)

if you do find a tec who dose shellac they might have solar oill as it is also made by CND this cutical oill is amazing ! And will work wonders for your nails and surrounding skin :)

Thanks so much for your help.

I looked into Shellac, and was very surprised to find that there's only 1 salon within reasonable distance that offers it. There are tons of salons listed in NJ, but they're all about an hour away from me! Weird, since this is a very densely populated area. Hopefully more and more places will offer it.

I just called the place that does offer it, and there was no answer and no answering machine.

I'm going to find people to ask about their nails, but believe it or not, most of the people I know don't get them done at all.

In the meantime, there is a local beauty supply place that I think has Solar Oil. I'll pick some up and use some clear polish.

I have a bottle of Orly Ridge Filler. Do you think that would be worth using?

Thanks again.

the ridge filler wont do any harm and will probably make your nails look a little smoother.

if you see ANYBODY with nails to envy, ask where they get them done !
they will probably be delighted that you admire them.

i ask people on busses, in shops or wherever so that i can tell clients where to try if i am fully booked [and so i know who my main competition is:wink2:]

What you could do is find a good Fibreglass Technician that could apply a natural nail overlay, no tips no fuss, Fibreglass is a resin system and requires minimum preparation of the nail plate. So a good Technician will not thin your nails out even more. Fibreglass is thin and very flexible but will give the nail a bit more strength. Also use a good cuticle oil, this will keep the Fibreglass flexible and your natural nail nourished.
I deal with NSS nail damage day in and day out and Fibreglass always seem to come to the rescue. This system will help you to grow out the damage whilst your nails still look nice xxx
HTH

I tried the ridge filler. It looked horrible. I have my nails cut about as short as they can reasonably be, so the fact that the ridge filler has some color to it really drew attention to how short they are. Also, it did very little to hide the gross white spots.

So now, it's just clear-Orly Bonder and top coat. They look...tolerable, I guess. At least I look somewhat groomed. The good news is that the nail that was so thin that it hurt doesn't hurt any more. I'm just going to continue with the clear polish and leave them be for a few weeks.

And I'm Solar Oiling like a champ! :lol:

Latest posts

Back