Cat owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallandcute

Reaction score
Hey all,

Am i the only kitty owner here as i need a little help. I have 3 and my youngest is 10 months. Recently she has taken to puddling on the bottom of my living room carpets even when there are nice clean litter trays to use. I have tried the neutralising spray and washed the curtins but nothing is stopping her from doing it again. Any thoughts on what i can do?

Are you putting them out? When ours used to go somewhere we didn't want her to we would rub her nose in it and put her out for 5 mins. If your cat is not used to your area yet get a lead and let it explore the garden we used a lead for 2 weeks then braved letting them out, because they knew the garden they ventured a bit further but knew where to come back to (and we always let them out hungry so they would come back to the noise of the shake of their dried food).

Hi, I have a little experience with this after retraining a senior cat who copied my new kittens toilet habits long after the kitten was house trained. [emoji19]
If they keep going in the same spot on the bath mat. I put the litter tray on that spot (can be bothersome if it's in the way but you'll only kick it over once lol as the clean up is a pain [emoji13]) then once it was using the litter box again, slowly start moving it away from that spot and towards where you want the litter tray to sit.

If you want them to eventually go outside start moving it towards the door then outside the door. Do all this over a period of a few weeks. If it reverts back to an old spot then you need to start again from there.

Also I know that my cats don't like sharing a litter box, so they had one each and I had to keep it clean and change everyday as he is a fussy bugger. Also if you notice that the cat is having accidents at a certain time of day then try and put them in the box or outside at that time.

All a big pain, but we've been accident free for months now.

I think I used white vinegar to neutralise, worked for us better than the sprays from pet shop.

Hope you crack it X

Thanks all for your replies. I think she is just being a little madam as usually she is fine using the tray and sharing with the other two. Her and my eldest do like to dash out but i know she will be back five minutes later haha. I do prefer them as indoor cats, its not that i dont trust them but i dont trust other humans with them!!!

Will try the white vinegar and see if that works and may buy another tray and pop it in the living room.

She is still a baba and full of mischeif which i love bar this haha, anything else i can handle.

Thanks again

Do you only have the one tray? Ideally it should be one tray per cat and one extra. They can get a bit fussy about sharing and this may help.

My cat has an infection just now and that's how I knew he was unwell as he always goes outside. I found several puddles and took him to the vet today and antibiotics and anti inflammatories. Keep an eye on her as a change in behaviour can be health or stress related X

I have two trays for the three of them. The other two are fine it's just baba. I don't punish her or tell her off but I do have a little moan about having to wash the darn things again. Her behaviour is normal and still eating and drinking fine but I will keep an eye on her xx

Have you tried orange oil? Cats hate it.

When mine was a kitten he used to wee at the end of my bed while i was asleep, i had no idea what the wet patch was until i caught him one night! Put orange oil there and he never did it again.

Hi smallandcute, I'm not sure why kitty is doing what she's doing but I found the BEST cat pee recipe on-line. After spend tons of money on expensive urine be gone type of sprays and them not working, I was frustrated. Our Mimi Kitty missed the tray quite a bit and peed everywhere. This REALLY (and I mean REALLY works) in getting rid of the cat pee smell.

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
¼ cup baking soda
1 tsp. blue Dawn dish washing liquid

I pour this into an empty gallon jug and gently mix. Then I pour into a spray bottle. I got a nice one at Sally’s. If you don’t use up all of the solution, make sure to loosen the cap so it doesn’t explode.

Spray the affected area and wait a bit. Then soak up with a paper towel or something like the Little Green Machine. It works great on other cat 'residue', too.

For cat P in the laundry, use ½ cup apple cider vinegar. I fill the tub with the vinegar in it and let it soak for a bit. If the pee has dried, you may want to soak overnight. Also, if the smell doesn’t come out the first time, do it again. It really does make a difference.

Hope this info helps!

The reasons she might be trying to not use the litter box are due to having more then one cat in your household.
At this age they are now adults or coming into adults so they challenge and are trying to reclaim some ground.

My kitten is also 10 months old all sudden it's like a teenager and my 14 year old cat is pretty chilled, luckily.

Use more then one litter box will also help.
Have all the kitties been to the vet for sterilization ? This can also help calm them down.
The cats will settle once the hierarchy is equalized again.
Cats are not like dogs, meaning they not pack animals so there is actually a healthy limit to work out how many cants one can have per size of your household. They will divide up your house in sections between themselves eventually.

Another option to look at if they not using litter box and start using the basin or shower if to look at their urine for any problems then don't wait take them to the vet asap.

Well rubbing our cats nose in their pee and then putting them out HAS worked for us, all the cats still loved us and were VERY affectionate, we now only have 1 cat (unfortunatley one got knocked down by a bus a few years ago) she knows not to do it again (we had 3/4 incidents MAX where we rubbed her nose in it and then she stopped).
It is not done in a nasty way, we are not hurting the cat, just showing her what she did wrong (nose in pee) and what she should do (go out).

It is not done in a nasty way, we are not hurting the cat, just showing her what she did wrong (nose in pee) and what she should do (go out).

You are putting your hands on an animal in a negative way & restraining it so that you can push its head in urine.

It doesn't hurt. But that isn't the benchmark for poor practice. It wouldn't hurt a child either but you hopefully wouldn't think it an appropriate method of potty training? If you wouldn't do it to a child don't do it to an animal - that's a pretty standard concept in all modern animal training. The animal didn't choose to place its head there. It is there because you dominated & restrained it.

It is widely accepted in modern animal training that negative enforcement is unkind.

Your cat stopped having accidents because cats are intelligent clean animals that learn quickly. Not because you pushed their face in urine.

Last edited:
You are putting your hands on an animal in a negative way & restraining it so that you can push its head in urine.

It doesn't hurt. But that isn't the benchmark for poor practice. It wouldn't hurt a child either but you hopefully wouldn't think it an appropriate method of potty training? If you wouldn't do it to a child don't do it to an animal - that's a pretty standard concept in all modern animal training. The animal didn't choose to place its head there. It is there because you dominated & restrained it.

It is widely accepted in modern animal training that negative enforcement is unkind.

Your cat stopped having accidents because cats are intelligent clean animals that learn quickly. Not because you pushed their face in urine.
Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. My cat is very happy, loved and now doesn't pee in the house where we don't want her to. Not going to get 'into it' with anyone about the way I did and would do things but just for clarification I swiped the cats nose in the pee not scrubbed her head in it. You dominate and restrain them to get them to the vet too though don't you. Sometimes we have to do things we would prefer not to like holding a child so they can't move for a nurse to inject them. Yeah I have kids aswell as cats.

Some matters are simply a difference of opinion. With other matters there is a clear right & wrong.

No respected animal organisation agrees with you. ‎

Animal organisations publish documents on toilet training techniques. ‎There are defined policies on issues such as this and your method is unacceptable & contrary to informed opinion on this matter.

‎On this thread 8+ people have offered solutions & advice that deals with the issue in a non confrontational positive manner.‎

One should be able to learn from past behaviour. To consider other views & adapt when people present different thought provoking information to you.‎

That you didn't reflect on this issue and concede "there are numerous more positive, less stressful & unkind methods of achieving the same goal" is concerning.

Pushing an animal's face into urine is toilet training through intimidation & force.‎ It is antiquated practice & contravenes all current industry advice. ‎

Thank you for this intelligent and reflective post. I am heartened when I see a well informed individual sharing information to educate rather than to be "right".

You put it perfectly in that there are many more positive and helpful routes one can take. One that gives kindness and protection to the animals we are responsible to take care of and love.
:)

Some matters are simply a difference of opinion. With other matters there is a clear right & wrong.

No respected animal organisation agrees with you. ‎

Animal organisations publish documents on toilet training techniques. ‎There are defined policies on issues such as this and your method is unacceptable & contrary to informed opinion on this matter.

‎On this thread 8+ people have offered solutions & advice that deals with the issue in a non confrontational positive manner.‎

One should be able to learn from past behaviour. To consider other views & adapt when people present different thought provoking information to you.‎

That you didn't reflect on this issue and concede "there are numerous more positive, less stressful & unkind methods of achieving the same goal" is concerning.

Pushing an animal's face into urine is toilet training through intimidation & force.‎ It is antiquated practice & contravenes all current industry advice. ‎

Not one of you has asked how long ago this was done, why don't you go reseach how long ago it became unacceptable to do what we did then come back and tell me.
My cat is now 8 years old (human years). She is my youngest cat, I have had other cats but they have all passed away now but were trained in the same way with the same results (loving cats that stopped peeing indoors after a small amount of incidents).

I also dont agree with rubbing your cats nose in it. It doesnt understand why... sorry not looking for arguments i just dont think this should be encouraged

Latest posts

Back