Changing tone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
I've got a client who was pregnant when i started doing her hair. She has now had the baby. She normally has a full head using a mix of half 8.0 mixed with half 9.5 in Igora (.5 is gold in Igora I think) but she says it has gone a bit "ginger" since she's had the baby.

I am due to do her roots tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that to tone down the ginger, I need to use something with a bit of ash (blue in the colour chart)? So I should be looking to mix the 8.0 with say a 9.2 or 9.3 in Igora?

Also, if I am changing the tone slightly, would I need to put the colour on the midlengths and ends straight after doing the roots as I am changing colour or should I leave it for a bit before applying or does this only apply when you change the base colour? Am a bit confused :eek:

Thanks everyone x

It depends on if she means yellow ginger or orange ginger Hun as if it's just yellow if you put blue ash in it will go green, have a look and see as you might be better with a violet toner xx

It depends on if she means yellow ginger or orange ginger Hun as if it's just yellow if you put blue ash in it will go green, have a look and see as you might be better with a violet toner xx

Thanks SteffiMc. I understand. So, assuming it is orange ginger and I add a base with ash tone in, should I put it on the midlengths and ends straight after doing the roots or should I leave it a bit? If so, how long?

Hi if I were you id go have a look at her hair before you do it. Her interpretation of ginger might be totally different to yours. She may also be lookin at her hair under false light!

If its orange you'll want something ash BUT you need to take into consideration her roots which is natural hair. This will also have a tone to it and you'll need to match it up!

If her lengths and ends are very gingery I'd put an ash over these which will take it back to natural 9.0.

Then I would need to take her natural hair into consideration to get a 9.0 desired result. Id out the rots on leave for 20 mins then put quasi on the ends for 20mins :)

Hi if I were you id go have a look at her hair before you do it. Her interpretation of ginger might be totally different to yours. She may also be lookin at her hair under false light!

If its orange you'll want something ash BUT you need to take into consideration her roots which is natural hair. This will also have a tone to it and you'll need to match it up!

If her lengths and ends are very gingery I'd put an ash over these which will take it back to natural 9.0.

Then I would need to take her natural hair into consideration to get a 9.0 desired result. Id out the rots on leave for 20 mins then put quasi on the ends for 20mins :)

Thanks Del <3. Her roots are base 8 with at least 50% grey. Should I put the normal mix on her roots (half base 8 plus half 9.5) then put base 8 plus the ash 9 (9.2 I think - need to check) on the midlenghts and ends? :Scared:

Personally I wouldn't mix the base id put a 9.0 absolute (made for greys with double pigment) on her roots with 6% and the 9.2 on her lengths and ends. Just make sure the ends are orangey if you're goin to put the 9.2 on - if not it'll go green. If they are still golden in your eyes use a 9.09 vibrance hydrocare on her ends which will take out all the yellow.

Igora royal covers up to 50% grey anyway as a rule so you won't need to add more base.

Latest posts

Back