Chemical straightening gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zznot

Reaction score
I am seeking some desperate help. The reason I am asking as I had the Matrix Opti smooth Cold method done to my hair at the weekend and its has been a complete disaster . I have tried to contacted the Matrix helpline which was no joy. Basically from my hair to being soft and managable and wavy to extremely coarse , unmanagable and curly , so much so I bare to touch my hair . I am looking for some advice to see if anyone can fix this. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated .

Last edited by a moderator:
You've had a smoothing system done but your hair is now curlier then before ?!

Yes the person put resistance and now has fried my hair!!

Who did the treatment for you? If it was a hairdresser then you need to go back to them, and show them what's happened and they can sort out a course of conditioning treatments etc to get it back on track, if the wrong product was used matrix are not going to help you at all it's the stylist error not matrix

salon is totally useless !! Hairdresser and owner gave me Keratindose, which I have been told by most hairdressers not to put any more protein !!

Ah sorry just reiwd to the other thread

I am not a hairdresser but i can advise you on my experiences.

I am mixed race, Jamaican & English so you can appreciate me having big, frizzy, curly hair in which i have been chemically straightening for over 10 years. More often than not following the treatment, my hair is ALWAYS really really dry and it takes weeks for the moisture to restore.

I use deep and intense conditioning treatments 2/3 times per week when my hair is like this and then cut it down to once per week when the moisture starts to restore.

With the hair being more curly than when you started, id deffo be questioning the salon about this as you booked in for straight hair, not curly!

In regards to your hair, id recommend you regain a good condition before you start doing things to it again, otherwise the hair will just begin to break and it will get shorter and shorter.

Id recommend you use conditioning treatments specifically for afro hair as they are made for these kind of disasters and dry hair anyway.

Good luck xxx

I can't really understand what's happened. The service will make your hair dry but i don't know how the hair can be curlier. If it's curlier there must have been something wrong with the product. However it's the stylists responsibility to contact matrix to find out, not yours. Hopefully they can fix this for you, and in the mean time, use shampoos with lots of moisture in, like Wella SP Hydrate x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi thks I've been using a different mask from keratase which has added a bit of moisture but the hair is so brittle that it keeps snapping , the hairdresser used matrix opti smooth resistance which isn't designed for curly hair , so I assume its reacted and I don't think the hair salon knows what to do !! The hair is looking Afroish on top and straw like half way down !! I just somebody technical who can say what's happen !!

Reacted with what? X

My hair !! I've had the sensitive one put on in the past , no problem but this new hairdresser used the resistance and after doing that put on a colour , I assume it's just like doing a perm but opposite !! So some chemical reaction has happened to cause the top half to be over fuzzy and split ends and the hair being brittle!!

That probably is what's happened, why are you not sorting this out with the stylist?

My hair !! I've had the sensitive one put on in the past , no problem but this new hairdresser used the resistance and after doing that put on a colour , I assume it's just like doing a perm but opposite !! So some chemical reaction has happened to cause the top half to be over fuzzy and split ends and the hair being brittle!!

Chemical straightners are not going to react with your hair. Unless there was something on it. How long did you leave it between straightening and colouring? X

The op said the colour was applied straight after

The op said the colour was applied straight after

If it was on the same day,and it was a permanent colour, this could be the reason why it has gone fuzzy. I don't know much about chemical straightners but I know with kerastraight you need to leave it 2 days before colouring, unless your using a non-oxidizing dye.

Only problem is I don't know what the best solution would be, I wouldn't want to put a chemical straigtner on again as it only just been applied.

Maybe a keratin smoothing treatment is best x

Hi yes the hairdresser put it on straight after , very disappointed that this lady who said that they were an expert in the field didn't do a proper consult prior , than applied the wrong straightening treatment, and than put a colour on top !! No apology and my hair looks like a Brillo pad on top and than the ends look like scarecrow!!

Hi yes the hairdresser put it on straight after , very disappointed that this lady who said that they were an expert in the field didn't do a proper consult prior , than applied the wrong straightening treatment, and than put a colour on top !! No apology and my hair looks like a Brillo pad on top and than the ends look like scarecrow!!

I think you should go back to the person who did this and complain.

I did , they said that they followed the Matrix handbook , I have spoken with matrix technical line , they have found so many flaws with what they done!! So I'm going round in circles , all I want is some how to alter the hair structure on top to be smooth , which it was prior to this idiot messing my hair up!!

I think you need to complain. Just keep calm and write it all down in a letter.

Then go In the Salon with the letter and say how I happy you are with the service and you would like it to be fixed.

Just don't be aggressive or say they have done a bad job, if you remain realistic, calm and pleasent you are much more likely to be treated with the respect you deserve.

I'm sorry that this has happened to your hair as it sounds awful! And I hope that they can fix it for you xx

I think you need to complain. Just keep calm and write it all down in a letter.

Then go In the Salon with the letter and say how I happy you are with the service and you would like it to be fixed.

Just don't be aggressive or say they have done a bad job, if you remain realistic, calm and pleasent you are much more likely to be treated with the respect you deserve.

I'm sorry that this has happened to your hair as it sounds awful! And I hope that they can fix it for you xx

Thk you . Unfortunately the salon is a hour way and realistically the owner passes the buck. I would like to sue them for the stress and how much damaged they have done to my hair, this will take years for my hair to grow out.

Latest posts

Back