Claiming back course cost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrose1994

Reaction score
Hello

Quick question

Can I claim back course costs? When it comes to end of tax year

Unless you're VAT registered we don't actually 'claim back' anything but courses are an expense and can therefore be offset against your income when calculating your profit.

Yes, as Pure says, you can put it through expenses. Other things you can put through are:
Uniform
Shoes
Exhibition visit costs (ticket, accommodation & meals)
Even if you are not mobile but drive to a wholesaler you can claim car expenses too!

As far as my accountant explained it you can 'off-set' the costs provided it is for your existing business. So for instance, once you've done a manicure course you can claim for any further 'nails' related courses, but you couldn't claim for helicopter flying lessons because as good as you might be flying a helicopter to your clients is not really likely!! :p

Trinity is right.

A course can be considered an expense if it relates to something you are already trained in, upgrades your qualifications

So if you already are trained in manicures and it is part of your business you could class training in gel nails as an expense.

or

If you are trained in massage, a hot stones course is an allowable expense.

But you wouldn't be able to claim for your first training in beauty therapy.

As far as my accountant explained it you can 'off-set' the costs provided it is for your existing business. So for instance, once you've done a manicure course you can claim for any further 'nails' related courses, but you couldn't claim for helicopter flying lessons because as good as you might be flying a helicopter to your clients is not really likely!! :p
Nice little sideline if the nails dry up lol

So if I want to do a lash extension course, and can already tint eyelashes, would that count?

Latest posts

Back