Client complaint!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Nail Queen

Reaction score
Hi there girls and guys!! Hope you are all having a good easter and munching loadsa chocs!! I have a quick question i hope some of you can relate to, if you can i would very much appreciate a reply.....

I had a lady in for infills today - she had her acrylics applied at another salon. This lady got very stroppy with me from the moment she sat her arse in the seat - her first complaint was the way i had filed her nails for the infills.

Now, I am very proud of my work and my clients are always extremely happy with their nails- but this woman has made me feel so small and worthless i am now starting to question my work!! When I do infills i take a file and blend the growth line so it is smooth. If any acrylic is lifting i'll nip it off and file/buff to make it smooth. I then wipe the nails with an antiseptic solution to remove dust etc, and apply the primer, then the acrylic.

This woman said i should have filed/buffed the whole nail down first, so it was just a really thin layer before applying the acrylic so that you cant see a line where the infill starts. Surely you need a drill for this otherwise it would take me forever!! After she moaned about that she moaned about the shape, then she moaned about our selection of nail polishes, and then she complained to my boss - who luckily stood up foir me 100%.

Am i doing my infills correctly?? i am doing them exactly how i was taught in college so where is this woman getting her info from?? (she is certainly no nail tech!!)

Thank you

Trace xxx

Hi Trace

I am not the best person to advise you,( so i wont).
I dont know if you knew why she came to you in the first place and not back to the salon where she had them first put on? You have infact help this ladie by doing her infils for her i think she could have had a bit more respect for you, she seemed to be a know it all, but its quite obvious she know nothing, who is she to judge you. there is just no pleasing some people.

Keep up the good work

:Love: Christi xxx

Reducing the thickness can be done by hand I use both a efile and hand filing.I think I use a 180grit to reduce the overall thickness the use a less heavy(sorry not exactly sure of the grit)to smooth over the fill line.Also find nipping more work, removing any lifting by filing is much better for the nail and creates less work later on.There are some really good tutorials on this site in regard to filing definately worth checking out.Next time she comes in maybe you should give her the file so she can do them herself.lol
hope it helps hang in there
Sam

You get people like this all the time so don't worry about it. I don't always work the same way, variety is the spice of life and all that, and my clients will pick up on it and say that I don't usually do it like that. Like Sam1 said if the other place was so good then why is she with you, and if she goes back there then it's no great shame. Remember you can't please all the people all of the time.

However I need to pick up on a couple of things you mentioned, and I'm not trying to teach your granny to suck eggs here!! Firstly you shouldn't always just file zone 3 smooth to infill, you need to rebalance the whole nail which includes zones 1 & 2, so I think this is what yourlady was referring to. Also you should completely blend the acrylic to the natural nail so that you don't see a blend line. So annoyingly this lady was right in what she was saying to a degree!!

But my main concern is the use of nippers - this is such a big no-no. It just exerts such pressure on the natural nail plate and the remaining product that you will be opening yourself up for future problems. Have alook at these excellent tutorials ...

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=8573

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=6244

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2639&page=1&pp=&conly=0

HTH

The Nail Queen said:
Hi there girls and guys!! Hope you are all having a good easter and munching loadsa chocs!! I have a quick question i hope some of you can relate to, if you can i would very much appreciate a reply.....

I had a lady in for infills today - she had her acrylics applied at another salon. This lady got very stroppy with me from the moment she sat her arse in the seat - her first complaint was the way i had filed her nails for the infills.

Now, I am very proud of my work and my clients are always extremely happy with their nails- but this woman has made me feel so small and worthless i am now starting to question my work!! When I do infills i take a file and blend the growth line so it is smooth. If any acrylic is lifting i'll nip it off and file/buff to make it smooth. I then wipe the nails with an antiseptic solution to remove dust etc, and apply the primer, then the acrylic.

This woman said i should have filed/buffed the whole nail down first, so it was just a really thin layer before applying the acrylic so that you cant see a line where the infill starts. Surely you need a drill for this otherwise it would take me forever!! After she moaned about that she moaned about the shape, then she moaned about our selection of nail polishes, and then she complained to my boss - who luckily stood up foir me 100%.

Am i doing my infills correctly?? i am doing them exactly how i was taught in college so where is this woman getting her info from?? (she is certainly no nail tech!!)

Thank you

Trace xxx
she wasnt a lady called karen, with too much tan by any chance ?

Hi chicken pie !! Gotta say dont worry bout it !

Would however say that to rebalance I'd shape 1st and ask what shape she prefers - did you actually change the shape she already had ? Or is she just a moaner ?!
Secondly - I would start filing in zone 1 working to zone 3 ( which should have done most of the work for you when you get there )
I definately would have asked what system you were rebalancing over and possibly considered soaking off the remainder to be on the safe side . Maybe thats just cooky old me - but if the system is not the same you may not get your normal results.
Hope some of this may help .
lol jayneym xxx

angel fingers said:
she wasnt a lady called karen, with too much tan by any chance ?

No!! Lol, why have you had a similar experience?!?! hehe!! x Wouldnt life be great without customers!! x

sort of, she came to me with her grown up son in tow,asked exactly how i was going to do the job and then told me she had tried nearly every nail tech in northampton and never been pleased. at which point the son pipes up, 'yeah mum, remember that one you nearly punched ?'

sooo, not a very relaxing start to the treatment, but at the end she said they were the best she ever had. 'great' i thought with a sense of acheivement, but then it dawned on me that she'd want to come back. i spent weeks counting down the days to her next appointment time, but after a coupla months or so she dissapeared again.

just wondered if she was terrifying some other poor bugger now ! :Scared:

Thank u for the tutorials. I had a good ol' read so i will be practicing my filing technique and doing my in-fills differently from now on. I always had a problem with visable fill lines but i guess that is because i used nippers to remove lifting product instead of filing. Not anymore!! Thank you once again!! It's strange how you think you know it all once you are qualified...but by chatting to others I have picked up loads more hints, tips and ideas!!

Thank You xxx

Sassy Hassy said:
You get people like this all the time so don't worry about it. I don't always work the same way, variety is the spice of life and all that, and my clients will pick up on it and say that I don't usually do it like that. Like Sam1 said if the other place was so good then why is she with you, and if she goes back there then it's no great shame. Remember you can't please all the people all of the time.

However I need to pick up on a couple of things you mentioned, and I'm not trying to teach your granny to suck eggs here!! Firstly you shouldn't always just file zone 3 smooth to infill, you need to rebalance the whole nail which includes zones 1 & 2, so I think this is what yourlady was referring to. Also you should completely blend the acrylic to the natural nail so that you don't see a blend line. So annoyingly this lady was right in what she was saying to a degree!!

But my main concern is the use of nippers - this is such a big no-no. It just exerts such pressure on the natural nail plate and the remaining product that you will be opening yourself up for future problems. Have alook at these excellent tutorials ...

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=8573

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=6244

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2639&page=1&pp=&conly=0

HTH

Latest posts

Back