Client says she's had a reaction to colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divalou

Reaction score
Hi there;
I have a client who has gone from blonde hilites to full head colour deep brown. She was very happy when she left but has since called saying she has had a reaction to the colour.
unfortunately, the stylist didnt carry out a skin test, stupidly!! and now this woman wants her money back.
i completely agree with her about the skin test should have been done etc and am sorry and would be happy to refund her

BUT
* she had her make up done at Boots on the same day.
* Boots say its not their fault
* the swelling was just on her face not on her scalp.
* she has had previous skin test behind her ear with no reaction.

Her reaction was quite severe but Im not 100% convinced its our fault.

I have apologised and asked her to come in to do a patch test to confirm or deny her allergy.
(i think she's jumping on the bandwagon a bit what with that 15 year old on the news with the L'oreal home colour!)

Can you have a reaction to a colour just on your face and not on your scalp?

x

i think it can just be on the face , id just redo the skin test as you say - because it could have been anything - not just the dye or the boots products

I too would ask her to do another skin test just to make sure, also why is she taking boots word and not yours? Does she think you would be an easier target for some compensation rather than taking on Boots!

* she had her make up done at Boots on the same day.
* Boots say its not their fault
* the swelling was just on her face not on her scalp.
* she has had previous skin test behind her ear with no reaction.
What have your insurance company said about this?
Have you contacted them to ask their advice?

I would advise your Insurers. They may, for example, recommend you don't offer a skin test but instead refer her to an independent. Be careful what you do and what you agree to because you dont want your Insurer refusing to cover you even though you might believe you are doing the right thing.

I have come across this before. First notify your insurer. Second speak to customer services at the brand of colour that you used. they will arrange for her to be tested by a dermatologist to find out the exact chemical that triggered her reaction.
A hair colour reaction can cause the face to blow up but not show on the scalp.
Under no circumstances should you attempt to skin test her again yourself.
I had a client have a massive reaction (hospital job) after a clour. We had skin tested her first and all was well. Went ahead with the colour and the poor woman had a full blown reaction. Redken took charge of the entire situation and discovered that the small amount of pigment in the skin test wasn't enough to trigger the reaction.

Latest posts

Back