Client sick during treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeiKei

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Just a bit of a vent and its going to be a long one!:oops: Yesterday I had one quite difficult client session I've ever experienced. I'm a spa therapist and I had two clients for a Half Day Spa. One was a young girl in her early twenties and the other was her grandmother.

They had lunch as part of their package at the connected resteraunt to our spa and they both had prawn & avocado as a starters and chicken caesar salad at 12pm and came back at 1pm. Their treatments of a 30min BNS massage and 30min facial both started at 3.30pm.

I had the young girl as my client and she seemed perfectly fine when I consulted with her, asked about medical history, massage pressure etc. But during the BNS (swedish with pure grape seed oil) she seemed fine for the first 20mins and she occasionally fidgeted around a bit so I reckoned she was just getting comfy. Then she suddenly sat up and said 'I think I'm going to be sick'. I stopped and immeadiately grabbed one of my large mask bowls and she did vomit a lot :( I didn't panic while in the room with her. I just made sure she was okay just for a minute to quickly dial the hotel for advice - they told me to keep an eye on her and continue on with treatment if shes okay with it.

I have a huge phobia of being sick and would normally leg it right out of there but because this client was in my care I felt so caring towards her. I went back up and spoke to her (got rid of the bowl too:eek:) and she told me she feels better (better out than in type of thing) So I could carry on. Should I have stopped treatment then? Even though my colleagues said just carry on too?

Once the client was on her back and reclined for the facial. I kept a new bowl and cup of water on hand. I continue on with the facial - making sure to avoid any products with strong scents. I listened out and kept an eye on her breathing. She seemed relaxed but again just as I finished the treatment I noticed she was really deep breathing and her chest was rising rapidly like she was going into a panic. I grabbed the bowl and yep, she was sick.
I stayed with her, spoke to her, rubbed her back and gave her warm damp mitts until her grandmother came out from her treatment.

Upon leaving the spa she thanked me immensely. She said she enjoyed her treatments while it lasted and they both left on good terms leaving really lovely written reviews.

But heres the thing. I really can't stop thinking about it. They both had the same meals with a glass of appletiser each but the grandmother felt absolutely fine. I spoke with her grandmother and she told me her granddaughter had been fine the last few days. Had slept well, eats well and does not drink. She hadn't had a massage in a couple years and works as a waitress.

Was it because she had eaten a light lunch two hrs before? Could it of been pressure around the lower back? Massage helps detox and some say people can feel nauseous afterwards but to make her be so ill?

Has anything like this happened to any of you during treatment? It's never happened to me before and it kind of freaked me out. What do you think may caused it? xx

You did really well to keep going.
It's just as likely that she was coming down with a bug, especially as her gran was perfectly fine.
However, I wouldn't over think it as you're never going to know what caused her to be ill and so it's pointless speculating.

Just focus on how well you coped and don't assume it will happen again. Hopefully, it was a one-off.

Could have just been one dodgy prawn. It only takes one. Well done you though [emoji106]

I would be 100% confident in saying the sickness was not connected with the massage.
Just unlucky timing.

If you eat something dodgy you will be sick 1 - 4 hours later. Repeating approximately every 20 mins until all gone.!

Well done for coping with it [emoji122]

Omg I've got so much empathy for the OP here. Spas are awful for people being sick because the food is out for ages and/or they struggle to keep on top of hygiene in the event of a virus. This was a massive source of anxiety for me when I worked in spas.

There's not always a problem but when it's bad it's bad.

She may be pregnant! She may not even know herself! So many reasons but most unlikely anything you did. I wouldn’t worry about it. You did well to continue. I would have sent her packing and made up some guff about cross contamination etc xxxx

Last edited:
This would be my worst nightmare! Sounds like u did an amazing job looking after her and being able to continue well done xxxx

Thank you everyone! :) I hope it never happens again in the future haha! xx

Omg I've got so much empathy for the OP here. Spas are awful for people being sick because the food is out for ages and/or they struggle to keep on top of hygiene in the event of a virus. This was a massive source of anxiety for me when I worked in spas.

There's not always a problem but when it's bad it's bad.
I know! Also clients always seem to book treatment when they are full of cold or have bad tummies! Especially this time of year xx

She may be pregnant! She may not even know herself! So many reasons but most unlikely anything you did. I wouldn’t worry about it. You did well to continue. I would have sent her packing and made up some guff about cross contamination etc xxxx
I had a discussion with my colleagues today because her being pregnant did cross my mind! :eek: x

I know! Also clients always seem to book treatment when they are full of cold or have bad tummies! Especially this time of year xx

Omg yes! It's infuriating. The spas I worked at were all about bums on seats so if a client was ill you weren't at liberty to advise they have the treatment when better. Very frustrating and anxiety provoking.

I work as a staff nurse and mobile therapist and people just get sick and very quick. I often my self feel sick and on the odd occasion I am sick nothing you can do about it. And like someone said it can only take one dodgy prawn. You did very well x

Latest posts

Back