Client transport-how much am I responsible for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_R

Reaction score
Hi!
So I'm little lost at the moment I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or the wrong thing.. I have my beauty rooms off my home so I'm working from home and I'm situated in the country quite a while away from the nearest bus stop and train stations however absolutely fine to get to by taxi or car. I do understand that not everybody drives but some clients do tend to make me feel responsible for sorting their transport to an appointment. I know this isn't for me to sort out as my job is the service I am giving them and not how they can get here. I was even thinking about picking a client up from the station and dropping her back off as I was feeling guilty. I think I just need some reassurance I'm doing the right thing to just be me and be ready for when the client comes.. I hope I make sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!
So I'm little lost at the moment I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or the wrong thing.. I have my beauty rooms off my home so I'm working from home and I'm situated in the country quite a while away from the nearest bus stop and train stations however absolutely fine to get to by taxi or car. I do understand that not everybody drives but some clients do tend to make me feel responsible for sorting their transport to an appointment. I know this isn't for me to sort out as my job is the service I am giving them and not how they can get here. I was even thinking about picking a client up from the station and dropping her back off as I was feeling guilty. I think I just need some reassurance I'm doing the right thing to just be me and be ready for when the client comes.. I hope I make sense!

NO WAY! So not down to you to get your client there! They wouldn't expect picking up if they were going to a salon in a town or village!

How do they make you feel like you are responsible? Do they actually ask for a lift? (Oh and no you're not responsible lol that's ridiculous) :)

Goodness no. It shouldn't even be a consideration that you need to provide a taxi service, unless you want to make that a feature of your salon and charge for it!!

Bless you for thinking so nicely, but clients choose to come to your location so don't allow them to make you feel guilty for where you are located.

Hi!

NO! The client knows where you are located at the time of making their appointment. If they don't drive that's their deal not yours! You wouldn't get chauffeured around for any other spa/salon, why should your's be any different??!

I look at this from a different perspective..if your client can't get to you how will you retain custom or even get any. I think it is a good idea to offer this as an add on to your services. No different to hotels, they pick you up and drop you off if necessary. Add a small charge for this a couple of pounds a trip or the going mileage rate for HMRC is 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles. We all know that most people have cars but for the few that don't - this is beneficial. I would do it but I wouldn't increase your prices for it, make it a stand alone feature and sell it... I don't see how this can be a bad thing just a little inconvenient, but then so are the people that have cars and don't turn up! It makes you just that little bit different from the rest.

Hi,
Just to throw something in tho that you may not have thought of ...
You'd def need business insurance as if anything happened you would be liable if an accident happened in your car ...
(Not sure I'd be collecting clients if it were me tbh) .. But I can see what your saying Virtues ... Ie retaining / getting more clients as its out the way away from bus stops ...

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

how a client gets to there appointment is down to them .. unless as already stated you make it a option but put the price on your treatment for the extra your in the business to make money and enjoy your job dont let clients take the mick i used to do friends when i first started and boy i ended up doing unpayed work so now i dont do it be firm but nice with it if they ask then look intoo how much the fair would be eg taxi then offer there price of drop off on top of what you charge when asked by clients see how it goes because they would have to pay for the trip anyway

If you do this because you feel you have to, then you will become resentful. If you make the decision to do it as part of the service and add a charge, then you will feel better about it, but I would be inclined to say to the client that it will incur an extra charge, just so they know they can't take advantage of you. It's up to you. You must do what you feel comfortable with. I get the feeling you are a very kind and considerate person, so you must do what makes you feel good and if you know you are charging for it, you won't feel bad about yourself xx

Hi,
Just to throw something in tho that you may not have thought of ...
You'd def need business insurance as if anything happened you would be liable if an accident happened in your car ...
(Not sure I'd be collecting clients if it were me tbh) .. But I can see what your saying Virtues ... Ie retaining / getting more clients as its out the way away from bus stops ...

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It's pennies for the business car insurance... I have it. I am all for anything that is out of the ordinary and different - the competition is too fierce these day just to compete with everyone else and hope these people just want to use your services. I'm confident enough to believe they will find someone nearer and easier and just as good. You need something different otherwise another thread of "I can't get clients" will be staring us straight in the face. Put yourself out a little, even if it is just for a trial period to see what interest you receive. Personally I wouldn't even think about it. My girls actually go out in the street and pull people in if they are a little quiet or someone hasn't turned up- it's a competition to them...I can't be doing with the "i'm not doing that" trash.... if you want a business then make it happen! lol..am I going on!!

My beauty room will be at home so will require clients to travel a bit out of the way to get to me. I suspect this could reduce potential clientele with it not being ultra easy for people to get to but I still think the pros outweigh the cons so I don't feel responsible for people's transport. Never even considered it really.

Thankyou so much all of you for your replies and ideas! My client base is really quite good for being out of the way so no trouble on that front at the moment which is great! (Fingers crossed) as all treatments are booked in beforehand so no 'walk ins' as such, really fab ideas from everyone Thankyou again! :) I think I'm going to leave it to the client to sort out their own transport to make the appointment and make my concern and job them having the best treatment :) xxx

I would imagine you need more than business insurance to carry passengers in your car.

It's not your responsibility. Don't put that on yourself lovey xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No way would I be doing this even if I had the correct type of car insurance. You are not a taxi service. When they book an appointment they know where you are, its their responsibility to get to you and get home after, not yours.

Imagine if you did this for every client. You'd be wasting so much time, you'd loose out on clean up/set up time between clients for a start.

What if you got stuck in traffic? You could then potentially be late for a client who has done exactly what they are supposed to do and found their own way to get to you.

It's not something I would even consider.

Xx

Just thinking outside of the box, why don't you get in touch with your local taxi service? They may be able to do a reduced rate for your clients if you recommend them, I have a friend who runs a taxi firm an does this for regulars, that way it saves you time going and picking them up and also helps out your client by getting them a reduced rate, worth a look into 😄

Have you got a local taxi service? You could consider collaborating with them and agreeing a reduced rate for clients coming from the station or bus stop. They might be happy to do this if you said you would have business cards in the salon, agreed to put them in bags with things you retail etc.

If you really wanted to go all out you could open an account and pay the bill once a month. The client then pays you on top of their treatment - especially if people like paying by card.

Your clients will then think you have helped them out by providing the information they need and sorting a rate. Make sure this information is available on your website etc :)

I think taxis can be slightly off putting for clients as you have no idea how much it will be and the meter is going round and round lol!

I also have business insurance for my other job (didn't cost any extra) but it's normally for travelling between places. I'm not sure if giving clients lifts would actually constitute a taxi service? That would be a whole different ball game!

Good luck with the salon :)

Just thinking outside of the box, why don't you get in touch with your local taxi service? They may be able to do a reduced rate for your clients if you recommend them, I have a friend who runs a taxi firm an does this for regulars, that way it saves you time going and picking them up and also helps out your client by getting them a reduced rate, worth a look into 😄

Haha great minds think alike ;)

Latest posts

Back