Clients cancelling!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steffanie

Steff
Reaction score
I have two clients that are unreliable cancelling last minute and wanting to rearrange. One of which cancelled last minute on Friday saying she was ill and wanted to rearrange (totally fine) I couldn't fill the gap so I went and met my sister in town to help her find an interview outfit and who do I see in new look laughing and joking with her friend...said client! She doesn't think I saw her and quickly left. She's ignored my msg all weekend about rearranging and has messaged this morning saying Friday please. Now I know money is money but I don't take kindly to being messed around when it's my living and I want people to know it's not acceptable. I think some people just think you do it as a hobby! The other client cancelled one minute to her appointment saying she's looking after her 7 yr old nephew can we rearrange. Why couldn't he come it was only a half hour app. [emoji57]

How would you react? Would you book them back in?

Apologies for the rant [emoji85]

This is such a pain when it happens and now what I do is I Facebook message or whatsapp my clients the day before. If there is a problem no worries ill rebook but if a client cancels on a 3rd occasion with only minutes to spare when I've confirmed evening before I refuse to rebook stating I can't afford to lose time and money. Life gets in the way but you have a life too

If someone messes me about I strike them off and that's it I don't have time to mess about with casual clients I used to be very flexible but no more once u start being firm they soon bugger off and go somewhere else and that's fine

The second client - I'd tell her "I'll need a 50% booking fee from you, this will be deducted from your treatment but is non refundable in the event that you arrive late, cancel with less than 48 hours notice or are a no-show".

The first client - I'd be tempted to say "Hi, hope you bought something nice in New Look on Friday. Happy to book you back in again for this Friday, that'll be £X to cover the cost of your missed appointment, plus a 50% booking fee (^as above)". I wouldn't want her back and this is probably the most professional way of telling her to bugger off. If she pays up then happy days and she knows you won't be messed around.

I ask for deposit guarentee they won't book in again as they won't want to pay up front incase they loose there money x

Sadly it happens to all of us and it's our job to shift through and find the good nice loyal customers that we all need

I'm pretty miffed off tbh! I wasn't planning on working between Christmas and new year (because I hadn't seen my kids all Christmas week due to working stupid hours) and I filled a day just to fit the second client in because she also cancelled Christmas week because of a sickness bug she had (again, fine) but she didn't even show up. I messaged her to remind her on the morning and even stayed half hour later waiting for her then once I messaged saying I'm sorry but I'm leaving now she instantly read it and said she'd forgot and could we rearrange!! [emoji109] bearing in mind I was so poorly at the time and I later found out she was just hungover but couldn't have the decency to msg me.
I'm glad it's not just me over reacting, I don't think I'm going to book them back in now I'd rather lose them. I don't think I'd have a cat in hells chance of getting a booking fee etc so I won't even waste my time with them. Think I need to stop being soft [emoji85] still ranting... [emoji23] sorry!

I'm pretty miffed off tbh! I wasn't planning on working between Christmas and new year (because I hadn't seen my kids all Christmas week due to working stupid hours) and I filled a day just to fit the second client in because she also cancelled Christmas week because of a sickness bug she had (again, fine) but she didn't even show up. I messaged her to remind her on the morning and even stayed half hour later waiting for her then once I messaged saying I'm sorry but I'm leaving now she instantly read it and said she'd forgot and could we rearrange!! [emoji109] bearing in mind I was so poorly at the time and I later found out she was just hungover but couldn't have the decency to msg me.
I'm glad it's not just me over reacting, I don't think I'm going to book them back in now I'd rather lose them. I don't think I'd have a cat in hells chance of getting a booking fee etc so I won't even waste my time with them. Think I need to stop being soft [emoji85] still ranting... [emoji23] sorry!

Totally forget her
Honestly I had a mum up the school that kept changing her app last min I refuse to see her now yea it's money but I don't care I'd rather be without the stress of is she going to come or not

I think because I'm still relatively new I try to go out of my way to fit people in and book them back in but it's just giving people the impression I'm a push over. I'm going to take the advice and put my foot down x

I feel your pain - had a cancellation Friday so ended up hanging around with my tunic on -couldn't start anything only for my 5pm to cancel last minute!![emoji35] I was fuming - tried to rebook but she said no I will leave it for the next 3weeks - I will charge her 50% in 3 weeks but I needed the money last week!! Then my Saturday morning 8am cancelled last minute! I was all for throwing the towel in Sunday - I've had enough!! They think our job is a bloody hobby!!! Facebook is the worst -they never turn up - so I'm going to say now unless they pay a 50% booking fee I'm not going to book them in! People take the pee & at the end of the day you run a business - people like this are just not worth the aggravation-that said it's a difficult time of the year to be picky - i wouldn't book her back in unless she pays you a deposit x

I stopped taking bookings by Facebook as two thirds of these clients weren't turning up - no message, nothing. I answer questions on my FB page but if they want to book I ask them to ring me or message me their phone number so I can arrange their appointment personally. Since putting this system in place I have had no 'No-shows' from Facebook clients.

I also have a cancellation policy on my website and hand out the leaflet on the policy with all brochures. This then gives fair warning that if they muck me about I will charge them. In reality (because I don't do deposits or credit cards) if they offend, I let them know how much they owe me and they can't book again unless they pay up. This gets rid of the pain in the neck ones.
I always give a bit of leeway to start with but if they repeat offend I wack the charge on them and I never see them again - which is actually the outcome I really want - go somewhere else thank you!! I'm too busy for time wasters!!
:mad:

It's so irritating isn't it! I think it's bothered me more at the moment because it has been quieter. I'm quite fortunate my partners earns a good wage but I like to earn my own money and keep busy. I hate not knowing what I'm earning each week and people messing me around as well. It sometimes feels like a 24/7 job dealing with people, keeping up with trends and products etc I'm always going out of my way and I don't know why I bother sometimes. I'm definitely taking a stricter approach X

EDIT.. *partner. I do not have several partners although several wages would be nice [emoji23][emoji23]

I stopped taking bookings by Facebook as two thirds of these clients weren't turning up - no message, nothing. I answer questions on my FB page but if they want to book I ask them to ring me or message me their phone number so I can arrange their appointment personally. Since putting this system in place I have had no 'No-shows' from Facebook clients.

I also have a cancellation policy on my website and hand out the leaflet on the policy with all brochures. This then gives fair warning that if they muck me about I will charge them. In reality (because I don't do deposits or credit cards) if they offend, I let them know how much they owe me and they can't book again unless they pay up. This gets rid of the pain in the neck ones.
I always give a bit of leeway to start with but if they repeat offend I wack the charge on them and I never see them again - which is actually the outcome I really want - go somewhere else thank you!! I'm too busy for time wasters!!
:mad:

I've wanted to do a policy but as I work with 3 other techs i think it would be difficult to enforce. I've thought about a booking app which sends reminders and requires a deposit before you get allotted a slot but i think that would also be difficult with taking book appointments in the salon too [emoji21]

I've wanted to do a policy but as I work with 3 other techs i think it would be difficult to enforce. I've thought about a booking app which sends reminders and requires a deposit before you get allotted a slot but i think that would also be difficult with taking book appointments in the salon too [emoji21]

Could the four of you get together and write a policy you could all use for pesky clients?

I got fed up spending ages replying to messages and changing appointments so now use ovatu. It's amazing. So much easier and my clients love it too.

I give new clients 2 chances, maybe if I really like them and it seems genuine, a third
But not more. They're not worth the hassle

The others have been there many years and have their regulars so don't seem to have many issues. I'm the only one offering acrylics though so I seem to get the younger clientele that are less reliable and take the mick. I could ask them how they'd feel about it though x

I got fed up spending ages replying to messages and changing appointments so now use ovatu. It's amazing. So much easier and my clients love it too.

Do you not use a book at all now then?
I'm just worried about walk in or telephone apps when I'm not there, the girls wouldn't be able to sort anything. I'm not that great with technology either [emoji85]

Do you not use a book at all now then?
I'm just worried about walk in or telephone apps when I'm not there, the girls wouldn't be able to sort anything. I'm not that great with technology either [emoji85]
No it's all online but I have a home salon so don't get walk ins

Latest posts

Back