Coconut oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love coconut oil. I never liked oil on my skin but I do now. Have you found any oil to ruin your tan? If coconut oil ruined my tan I wouldn't use it or recommend it to others. It's really inexpensive and a great way to clean the skin.

Moroccan Tan seems to hold up quite well against oil, but I remember I few years ago bio oil used to remove my st tropez tan. I don't use bio oil any more as I prefer natural products now, I just used it to prevent stretch marks and noticed where I applied it the tan came off

I agree MT is lovely holding against oil that's why my face tan lasts up for 4-5 days. Have you used dermalogica, if so did it make a difference to your skin?

I agree MT is lovely holding against oil that's why my face tan lasts up for 4-5 days. Have you used dermalogica, if so did it make a difference to your skin?

No I use eve Taylor in my salon and never tried dermalogica on myself

I don't ever recommend using oil for moisturizing whilst having a spray tan. Regardless of the brand its simple science. The oil will open the stained pores and remove the tan. To remove a tan using oil is brilliant but not to maintain a tan. Any product containing an oil will result in a negative effect to your client so ask questions of which moisturizer they are using. hths xoxo
Some oils dont effect a tan. If you look at tan moisturisers made by tanning companies most of them will include oils. It is mineral oils that strip a tan xx

Just to clarify, Oil on its own is a major no no. In most moisturizers it's fine as its blended- but I advise more humectant products not ph balanced. When you have a spraytan not a tan from abroad it's important to hydrate your "second skin" to prolong your tan this is why I don't advise products that will strip off/remove a tan. hths xoxo

Just to clarify, Oil on its own is a major no no. In most moisturizers it's fine as its blended- but I advise more humectant products not ph balanced. When you have a spraytan not a tan from abroad it's important to hydrate your "second skin" to prolong your tan this is why I don't advise products that will strip off/remove a tan. hths xoxo

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Barrier cream has oil in it. majority of moisturisers have oil and using a natural oil in its purest form has never stripped my tan at all in fact my tan has lasted longer than with any other cleanser/moisturiser.

There are some companies who have a barrier oil...

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Barrier cream has oil in it. majority of moisturisers have oil and using a natural oil in its purest form has never stripped my tan at all in fact my tan has lasted longer than with any other cleanser/moisturiser.

There are some companies who have a barrier oil...
It's cool if you don't agree with me. I don't understand what you're disagreeing about..
Please don't twist my words, as you asked the question does coconut oil have a negative effect on spraytans. I am simply giving my professional opinion that oils will open the pores and strip off/remove a tan. If it is blended or infused in a moisturizer some can strip them off/ some can prolong a tan depending on the product content.(I always ask about they're aftercare) I have been spray-tanning for a long time and I have to be honest here, when I read posts on here that maybe a contraindication. I'm gonna speak up about it. I genuinely don't want professional therapists or clients to be mislead. Oils remove tans....if i know how to put a spraytan on i also know what methods to remove one with.
It's your prerogative if you wish to promote it as something that helps you're personal tan.
A barrier cream is developed to block out tan absorption. A tan extender helps to prolong your natural tan or retailed to use alongside your spraytan to help prolong a tan. If you used a SPF oil this will remove your tan. If you use a ph balancer that will strip your tan. for instance if my client uses almond oil or baby oil im still not gonna be happy, because I know this client hasnt been listening to my advice. At the end of the day this is a professional forum. Good luck xoxo

It's cool if you don't agree with me. I don't understand what you're disagreeing about..
Please don't twist my words, as you asked the question does coconut oil have a negative effect on spraytans. I am simply giving my professional opinion that oils will open the pores and strip off/remove a tan. If it is blended or infused in a moisturizer some can strip them off/ some can prolong a tan depending on the product content.(I always ask about they're aftercare) I have been spray-tanning for a long time and I have to be honest here, when I read posts on here that maybe a contraindication. I'm gonna speak up about it. I genuinely don't want professional therapists or clients to be mislead. Oils remove tans....if i know how to put a spraytan on i also know what methods to remove one with.
It's your prerogative if you wish to promote it as something that helps you're personal tan.
A barrier cream is developed to block out tan absorption. A tan extender helps to prolong your natural tan or retailed to use alongside your spraytan to help prolong a tan. If you used a SPF oil this will remove your tan. If you use a ph balancer that will strip your tan. for instance if my client uses almond oil or baby oil im still not gonna be happy, because I know this client hasnt been listening to my advice. At the end of the day this is a professional forum. Good luck xoxo
So if you can't use creams with oils in, what moisturiser do you recommend to your clients for use after their tans?? xx

The reason behind my question is for years we have been told not to use any oils before or during a tan as will take it off. BUT I have been using cconut oil for months and have found the very opposite of this state so I wanted other opinions as to what others do. Sometimes we have to question why? is this being said if its not completely true. I dont agree with you that ANY oil is a major no no its simply from the article above obviously not true. I am spray tanning professsionaly 7 years and like to think I have an understanding also. Thanks for your opinion.

The reason behind my question is for years we have been told not to use any oils before or during a tan as will take it off. BUT I have been using cconut oil for months and have found the very opposite of this state so I wanted other opinions as to what others do. Sometimes we have to question why? is this being said if its not completely true. I dont agree with you that ANY oil is a major no no its simply from the article above obviously not true. I am spray tanning professsionaly 7 years and like to think I have an understanding also. Thanks for your opinion.

Our skin naturally sheds, so if we want longevity of our tans with a nice fade off, you would want to give out the best advice so you don't have any future product breakdown. When I've read posts on here omg I have got 4-5 days off a tan or it uneven, i know its to do with the aftercare. You can keep a tan for up to 10+ days if maintained properly. Ask questions on what moisturizers they are using. Very greasy creams will lift tans, like emollients, cold creams. I have a really nice rep with my tans because I want my client to get the best out of their tan. If they choose to ignore my professional advice it's not my problem- its they're prerogative.

The post above with regards to lara bingles self tanning range, its not a professional product nor is it a spraytan. This is to do with instant self tanning which stains the skin in a different way using mitts and buffing into the skin. I'm talking about spraytan's not self tanning. The moisture content on a instant self tanning cream or a mousse is completely different when trying to diy.

Realistically why doesn't every tanning company endorse oil as a aftercare?... because it affects the longevity and can compromise the product. Why doesn't every tanning company endorse it in their training as pre/ post aftercare? I feel like if you get a client having a moan or its not lasting well, look deeper into what you are doing. If you feel its justified to work for you, it may be just for you but ignoring and disregarding simple science just because you feel like its worked for you. Carry on using if you feel its working for you but in my professional opinion I would not endorse this as aftercare for my clients. Remember this is a professional forum. Good luck xoxo

Why do you keep telling me it's a professional forum? LOL

I don't advise my clients to use coconut oil I said it just works for me.

My clients never have a problem with their tan and tell me they've never had a better tan than mine.

Isn't it normal for skin to start shedding in 4-5 days? This doesn't mean your full body tan is going to come off in bulk but just means that you need to start moisturising. What moisturiser do you personally use for your tan?

I don't recommend it to my clients neither, i use it myself. I tell clients to use Hempz which i've been told is one of the best to use with a spray tan. But since it contains cannabis oils, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil amongst other things i'm guessing i now must be wrong to recommend this?? And doesn't spray tans and self tanning both use DHA to colour the skin or am i missing something??

I don't recommend it to my clients neither, i use it myself. I tell clients to use Hempz which i've been told is one of the best to use with a spray tan. But since it contains cannabis oils, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil amongst other things i'm guessing i now must be wrong to recommend this?? And doesn't spray tans and self tanning both use DHA to colour the skin or am i missing something??
in my previous post i mentioned this Just to clarify, Oil on its own is a major no no. In most moisturizers it's fine as its blended- but I advise more humectant products not ph balanced. When you have a spraytan not a tan from abroad it's important to hydrate your "second skin" to prolong your tan this is why I don't advise products that will strip off/remove a tan.

Hempz is a great tan extender. It has a blended hydrating consistency. I hope i'm not confusing you but i'm talking about pure oils, and very greasy moisturizers, those with a higher oil level like nivea for example are like a cold cream consistency. these obvious OTC products will lift. palmers body oil is a no. Shea butter is amazing but not in a pure form. Aqueaous cream is a nice humecant. Dove contains a ph balancer causing a uneven tan. Vaseline acts as a barrier. It all depends on the individual and the concerns that are shown, we deal with skin also so its a nice add on to educate our client on whats suitable for them.
DHA is only in a few tan accelerators and as I own a sunbed and have been on Australian gold training i can help you understand a bit about them. Tan extenders are really nice hydrating moisturizers that keep your skin conditioned for at least 24hrs. forever after is a great triple action-ed firming toning vanilla scented cream. My favorite is pink and proper it has a bit of DHA in it smells like lady million and its a indoor and outdoor tanning lotion.
So blended oil moisturizers are ok as most creams are created by a blended oil. (I took a class at posh folly!) but not oily greasy creams. Ideally an oil free moisturizer is best. No Oils. Most body butters are ok to use but judge it case by case on your client. There are hundreds of creams and loads of aliments that people have, if you suspect they're using one with a higher oil content- ie its greasy, leaves a shine, it is not for you and it will impair the result. Either way each person is different so you can ensure the best result for your client. hths xoxo

in my previous post i mentioned this Just to clarify, Oil on its own is a major no no. In most moisturizers it's fine as its blended- but I advise more humectant products not ph balanced. When you have a spraytan not a tan from abroad it's important to hydrate your "second skin" to prolong your tan this is why I don't advise products that will strip off/remove a tan.

Hempz is a great tan extender. It has a blended hydrating consistency. I hope i'm not confusing you but i'm talking about pure oils, and very greasy moisturizers, those with a higher oil level like nivea for example are like a cold cream consistency. these obvious OTC products will lift. palmers body oil is a no. Shea butter is amazing but not in a pure form. Aqueaous cream is a nice humecant. Dove contains a ph balancer causing a uneven tan. Vaseline acts as a barrier. It all depends on the individual and the concerns that are shown, we deal with skin also so its a nice add on to educate our client on whats suitable for them.
DHA is only in a few tan accelerators and as I own a sunbed and have been on Australian gold training i can help you understand a bit about them. Tan extenders are really nice hydrating moisturizers that keep your skin conditioned for at least 24hrs. forever after is a great triple action-ed firming toning vanilla scented cream. My favorite is pink and proper it has a bit of DHA in it smells like lady million and its a indoor and outdoor tanning lotion.
So blended oil moisturizers are ok as most creams are created by a blended oil. (I took a class at posh folly!) but not oily greasy creams. Ideally an oil free moisturizer is best. No Oils. Most body butters are ok to use but judge it case by case on your client. There are hundreds of creams and loads of aliments that people have, if you suspect they're using one with a higher oil content- ie its greasy, leaves a shine, it is not for you and it will impair the result. Either way each person is different so you can ensure the best result for your client. hths xoxo
Aqueous cream is a good humecant but it contains mineral oils which strip a tan. Think i'll just stick to Hempz and childs farm. If i have a client that wants a tan extender with dha i'll give them the one from my tan provider xx

Aqueous cream is a good humecant but it contains mineral oils which strip a tan. Think i'll just stick to Hempz and childs farm. If i have a client that wants a tan extender with dha i'll give them the one from my tan provider xx

Have you tried Dr organic hempz oil moisturiser? amazing. I mix it with a few essential oils for eczema and I love it. Got it in Holland and Barrett. I know they sell it in salon services but the ingredients are totally different. the one from Holland and Barrett uses only natural products like beeswax and share butter and oils where as salon services one has a lot of synthetic ingredients!

Have you tried Dr organic hempz oil moisturiser? amazing. I mix it with a few essential oils for eczema and I love it. Got it in Holland and Barrett. I know they sell it in salon services but the ingredients are totally different. the one from Holland and Barrett uses only natural products like beeswax and share butter and oils where as salon services one has a lot of synthetic ingredients!
Oooo no but i'll find some and give it a try. I love trying out different skin care. I've been trying the childs farm cream now for about 2 weeks and my tan is still on with no patches at all, its faded a bit but its still there and my skin has never felt so nice. I think its the first time i've had a tan last 2 weeks from just using a moisturiser xx

This sounds fab but I wish it didn't have beeswax in it!! :(

This sounds fab but I wish it didn't have beeswax in it!! :(

Why? Beeswax is non comedogenic and has lots of great antioxidants and moisturising properties

Latest posts

Back