collating email addresses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitz and glam

Reaction score
Hi salon geeks.

i have started to gather email addys in the hope to send out a monthly newsletter. I am a little unsure about the best way to get these and what is allowed/unallowed ?

I have only started this recently and so this is where im getting them from;

* email contacts already stored - obvious i know:lol:
* facebook friends
*Clients who filled it in on there record sheet

i have had a few ideas but not sure if its allowed to source them this way can anyone shed any light ?

* Business directory (local)
* freecycle
* mother and toddler groups featured on netmums

if anyone has another options to add id be very grateful:hug:
thanks

I get clients email addresses when I fill in their record card. I explain that I send out email newsletters every 2-4 weeks and would they be happy to receive them.

I dont believe you can harvest email addresses for sending out newsletters without permission - this is called spam.

mine is done by full permission.

I dont believe you can harvest email addresses for sending out newsletters without permission - this is called spam.

Definitely. It's very bad form to send out marketing emails without getting permission from people first! So it would be fine to send out emails to existing clients who have given their permission, but not to just email everyone in your local Freecycle group, some of whom will have had no prior dealings with your salon.

thankyou this is what i thought, of course i have the permission of friends in my addy book and clients. do any of you have any great brain waves of getting more as obviously im trying to gain new clients not just resend to the current ones?
I am attending the local school xmas fair so was thinking about doing a competition of some sort and having a space for there details on the form if they wish to fill it in.

Could you write at the bottom of your email newsletter "please forward to a friend"?
That way its not you (the therapist) sending the email directly!
Would this be allowed?

yes you can ask for them to forward it to their friends. it's a good idea to run a competition/prize draw to collect details, but u must ensure you give them the option not to recieve any marketing.....something along the lines of 'I am happy to recieve special offers by email' with te option to tick/delete.
Also on each email you send you must give the recipient the option to be removed from your list.
Check out the information commissioner website if you need to double check data protection issues Information Commissioner's Office - ICO

Hth, Lou x
Posted via Mobile Device

thankyou this is what i thought, of course i have the permission of friends in my addy book and clients. do any of you have any great brain waves of getting more as obviously im trying to gain new clients not just resend to the current ones?
I am attending the local school xmas fair so was thinking about doing a competition of some sort and having a space for there details on the form if they wish to fill it in.

I am doing a craft fair this weekend and I am trialling a prize draw - they fill out a card with name, contact no and email and tick a box to say yes or no to going on my mailing list.

You could try this at your school fair.

I know you've got permission to mail but for everyone else just be a bit careful about who you mail.

One thing we do is advertise on google for local searches and then have a special offer on our site in return for people's email addresses. Works great.

I love email coz it's kinda free.

This youtube video shows you how to do a local ad on google.

It's a US one but it's kinda the same for UK.

YouTube - How To Use Google Local (Google Maps) To Get Free Advertising For Your Business

Brend x

Latest posts

Back