college and pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalieb1986

Reaction score
wondered if people could tell me hopefully from there own experience.

i want to go back to college in september for my nvq3 beauty therapy part time 2 evenings a week but i am also trying for a baby and wondered if you are able to go to college if you are pregnant. as i believe there is already a pregnant women on a part time nail course at the my college.

I cannot advise you but just to say I will be watching this thread with some personal interest x

My friend had her first baby during the third year of college. It was difficult and she only had two weeks off after having the baby but the tutors were very good about getting clients for her before the baby was born and making sure everything was up to date. She did not plan the baby and I dont think she would advise anyone on having one during their course as it is hard enough already without morning sickness, hospital appointments, etc.

hi i became pregnant in January after starting college in September and it was really difficult, i had alot of time off and got very behind, when i was there i couldn't concentrate and was so tired.

After completing my first year my tutor put me on maternity leave so i didn't return the following sepmtember but a year after which was great. i got chance to relax have my baby and enjoy being a mum, then had chance to catch up later.

Also if your doing beauty level3 i assume you will be doing facial and body machines some of which you will be unable to perform and most if not all you will be unable to receive.

In my opinion i should have waited until after i had my baby to do my course.

my only prob is you just dont no how long it wil take to get pregnant and i dont want to put my life on hold i really want to get my qualifications and i just want to know if i wasto fall pregnant once startin could i carry on and wont b forced to leave

I suppose it would all depend on how old you are, my pal was only 21 so she had lots of energy to do both and was also very fit and healthy when she became pregnant.

:hug:

thats how old i am but my partner is a bit older hence why were tryinfg now but i want both just as much as each other. i want it to be my decision and not the tutors does anyone know the rules can they force you to leave or is it you decision.

I think I would depend on the college rules and regulations, if you were paying for your course or not and how long you had been on the course. I dont think they would make you stop, as one of the other geeks said she got maternaty leave.

Dont worry about your partner, do what is right for you and him as a couple not what is right for just him or just you. Having a child is a big thing to do. At least 5 of the girls in my year got pregnant in the last 3/4 months of the three year course so there are now lots of babies for me to visit.

That maybe the best way to do it as you are still quite young.

:hug:

I gave up my career job to go back to uni for one year to complete my degree 5 years ago. In the first week of starting in the September I found out I was pregnant, I lost the baby in November and then was pregnant again in January.

I managed to do all my work and get a good grade but found it a little hard as I was so tired all the time and had morning sickness.

Its not that easy studying and doing exams when pregnant, but I managed it somehow!

i was also 20-21 when i was pregnant had my baby, i was deffinatley not full of beans lol! I was huge but then my babydid turn out to weigh 10lb 4oz.

Really the college should not be able to throw you off the course it would be classed as discrimination and whether your at work or in college you are entitled to maternity leave.

Just speak to the college.

It shouldn't be a problem, I don't think they are allowed to refuse you if you are pregnant. I found out last month that I am pregnant and my tutor was great about it. I had to have a risk assessment and it restricts what I can do in terms of lifting but it isn't a problem. I have also been suffering with terrible morning (actually all day!) sickness which has affected a few classes. The only thing to really worry about is whether you will be able to stay on long enough to complete your course. As I finish in June I will be about 6 & half months which shouldn't be too bad but I don't know if I could handle much past that. Although it does mean that I can't go onto the level 3 course in september as I am due then.

We have 2 pregnant ladies on my course, one has just had her baby and the other is due in 4 months. Have a chat to Hilary she'll be able to help.:)

Just to say i found out i was pregnant 3 weeks into my course, it was all ok, did take some time off, the main thing is to make sure they know then they can accomodate you, good luck with it all xxx

i started me level 2 and then found out i was pregnant just weeks in.
my tutor was excellent she made small allowances for me not unfair on others but just the little things it made all the diffrence and she even helped me complete early so i could take time off when i had my baby

And when i did my level 3 there was 2 ladies one of a younger age 19 and the other 41 and they both copied really well and finished the course

if you think you could cope with it all then i would go for it college cant NOT let you join because your trying it may take a while before becomming pregnant and by that time you could be half way finished

good luck:hug:

thanks everyone i feel the same as you just dont know how long it may take and i dont want to put everythin on hold incase it does. also i would quite like to start my nvq3 in september along with the other girls as we get on really well. its good to know other people have been pregnant and completed there course

thanks everyone i feel the same as you just dont know how long it may take and i dont want to put everythin on hold incase it does. also i would quite like to start my nvq3 in september along with the other girls as we get on really well. its good to know other people have been pregnant and completed there course

thats the attitude go for it

gook luck with both college and having kids!!:hug:

Latest posts

Back