Colour complaint (long post) ️

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I am just searching for some advice on how to handle a certain situation.
I am a self employed stylist and I dedicate 32hrs a week to a salon and the rest of the working week I'm a mobile stylist.

I recently did a medium brown to blonde colour change on a client. She had booked in for a full head of foils (1hr slot) and CBD and was quoted £89 by my colleague. When she arrived I did a thorough consultation and she had a picture of what she wanted. Based on the picture I felt that the result would be better achieved by a combination of balayage and baby light foils. I explained this to the client and that we would need to use bleach to lift to the level she required and then tone if needed (as u can see in the picture she has some banding at the bottom) her hair was also very thick and long and I also informed her that it may take longer than an hour for me to baby light and balayage, she agreed to everything and I even offered olaplex to maintain the integrity of the hair during the process but she declined. Once I got to the toning stage she had said she wanted it to be warm but the picture was a very clean pearly blonde, but she insisted she wanted warmth, so I toned with Wella 9/17 on roots and mid lengths then pulled it through briefly the ends which were still warm from her previous colour. During the cut she said that it looked ginger.... I will admit it was very warm but by no means ginger... So I toned a second time with 10/8 and as you can see it has come up to a lovely blonde and she was thrilled when she left the salon. I charged her accordingly £126 which she happily paid (I will admit I had not requoted her during the consultation which was absolutely my mistake) however since then she has sent a Facebook message to the owner of the salon saying that she is unhappy and it is too blonde and warm and she wants to go back to her previous before colour... I feel that I should be the one to deal with her as she was my client but the owner of the salon wants to redo the colour and then charge me for the redo. I don't agree with this as I feel that I am not at fault but obviously I want to keep my client happy and redo the colour myself. But I don't know how to proceed from this point. Can I please have some advice. Apologies for the very long post.

Thank you xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342152.938741.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342152.938741.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 486
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342164.290283.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342164.290283.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 332
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342177.189553.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1443342177.189553.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 338
the colour is perfect !?

What's she moaning for, I think you've done a fab job getting her to that colour. It looks a lovely natural blonde too.

Thank you.... I know clients can be challenging sometimes.. But it's more about the salon owner and how she's dealing with it... She messaged me at 11pm last night to tell me this... We are close but work stuff I feel should be dealt with at work... Not 11pm on a Saturday night.

But thank you Mzubri and Emily S I really loved doing it x

I would be really happy with what youve done and its very unfair of her to ask for it to be changed. Has the owner of the salon agreed to change the colour?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You've done a great job.

However it will be a big shock to her! Within a week i'm sure she'll love it again. Just explain this to her.

It is fairly warm though... But she wanted warm.

I would be really happy with what youve done and its very unfair of her to ask for it to be changed. Has the owner of the salon agreed to change the colour?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't know what the conversation between them was... I just received a text from her last night... I assume we will talk about it today! Thank you... I think it looks lovely and suits her too.... But... As another geek said its a massive change for her. Xx

You've done a great job.

However it will be a big shock to her! Within a week i'm sure she'll love it again. Just explain this to her.

It is fairly warm though... But she wanted warm.

Thank you cams97... I was pleased with it... Yes it is warm, yes she wanted warm.... I'm just hoping the the salon owner will respect that it's my client and therefore I should be the one to deal with the complaint... Or at least include me in her dealings with it. [emoji4]

Thank you cams97... I was pleased with it... Yes it is warm, yes she wanted warm.... I'm just hoping the the salon owner will respect that it's my client and therefore I should be the one to deal with the complaint... Or at least include me in her dealings with it. [emoji4]

If they're a good business person they will!

If they're a good business person they will!
I think its beautiful work, show your boss the pictures,shes only going on messages at the moment.She should have spoken to you first,hopefully she will back you once she knows the facts.:)

Being as your self employed, it os your client and you should be the one to deal with any issues as the owner isn't your boss just your landlord technically! I think the hair looks great, there is nothing to correct, she has just changed her mind so in my opinion any redo would be charged for otherwise she might change her mind again and want you to take it back to blonde after, you could go for ever redoing it until she is happy!

If you are self employed in the salon, then the owner has no authority to negotiate or agree to any restorative action on your behalf, full stop!

It is your client and it is 100% up to you to decide what action to take, if any.

If the owner wants to offer to re-do the client, that's between her and the client and the owner will have to agree terms with the client. An owner might do this if they feel that a complaining customer could damage the overall reputation of the Salon but that's one of the drawbacks of not employing your own staff.

You need to be VERY firm with the owner about how you want her to handle disgruntled clients in the future and I'd start by telling her very clearly where you stand with this one.

As others have said, she is just your landlady and has absolutely no say in the quality control aspects of your work. Also be clear that texting you outside of working hours especially late at night is unacceptable.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I absolutely feel the same way about how to deal with the situation.
It is purely a case of being very firm about where I stand as a separate business to hers.

Thank you again xxxxx

I think it looks lovely! If she wants it changed I think she should pay for it! It doesn't need anything doing though! X

Hi Geeks....

Thank you all again. I thought I'd give you a little update. The client has been in contact with the salon owner to say that she had "dyed it herself and was now happy" [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

So there we go!
But I have scheduled a meeting with the salon owner to discuss the situation.
Xxx

Hi Geeks....

Thank you all again. I thought I'd give you a little update. The client has been in contact with the salon owner to say that she had "dyed it herself and was now happy" [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

So there we go!
But I have scheduled a meeting with the salon owner to discuss the situation.
Xxx

What an idiot!

She's obviously one of those clients where she wanted a change but she didn't know what she wanted !! You e done an amazing job [emoji6] but at least she won't have any problems and it's all sorted to a brilliant " box colour " her hair must look and feel amazing now lol [emoji51]

She's obviously one of those clients where she wanted a change but she didn't know what she wanted !! You e done an amazing job [emoji6] but at least she won't have any problems and it's all sorted to a brilliant " box colour " her hair must look and feel amazing now lol [emoji51]

[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

What a sad waste, your colour looked lovely x

I'm guessing she realised how much better it was, and was actually happy with the colour so used the box dye story to cover herself!
I also would have a meeting - reverse the roles.... If the manager had an unhappy client who then messaged you etc, good luck!x

Latest posts

Back