Colour correction and college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHarvey

Reaction score
I have seen so many posts this week re colour correction. Whilst I am happy to help and offer advice I am in part quite disturbed. I am left wondering why "fully qualified" stylists are unaware of how to bleach bath, what different levels of peroxide are used for, the basics of the colour star and more pretty basic stuff.
This lends me to bring into question the education that colleges are providing. Do we feel that the hairdressing NVQ needs to be completly re written? We cover perming etc but not colouring basics?
We recently had an opening for a young stylist so advertised at the local college and I have to say that of the newly qualified stylists who applied we trade tested 2 (the others had appalling cvs).
1 did a classic long layer cf. which left a lot to be desired and the other refused to do the trade test as she said she wasn't confident cutting hair!
Interested to hear everyone elseopinions. Are my standards just too high?

I have seen so many posts this week re colour correction. Whilst I am happy to help and offer advice I am in part quite disturbed. I am left wondering why "fully qualified" stylists are unaware of how to bleach bath, what different levels of peroxide are used for, the basics of the colour star and more pretty basic stuff.
This lends me to bring into question the education that colleges are providing. Do we feel that the hairdressing NVQ needs to be completly re written? We cover perming etc but not colouring basics?
We recently had an opening for a young stylist so advertised at the local college and I have to say that of the newly qualified stylists who applied we trade tested 2 (the others had appalling cvs).
1 did a classic long layer cf. which left a lot to be desired and the other refused to do the trade test as she said she wasn't confident cutting hair!
Interested to hear everyone elseopinions. Are my standards just too high?

Not at all. But remember nvq2 doesn't cover colour correction.
Many may think I know sweet FA as I'm not level 3 qualified. I have been doing as we all do above what is asked for level 3 nvq for years, so why do a course to have paper to say so?

But yes, I do think more time should be spent with nvq and all other forms of hair training, if I hadn't taken the time to practice, better my skills and done a lot of educating myself online and in books as well as on my very willing family I wouldn't be where I am now. Xoxo

Not at all. But remember nvq2 doesn't cover colour correction.
Many may think I know sweet FA as I'm not level 3 qualified. I have been doing as we all do above what is asked for level 3 nvq for years, so why do a course to have paper to say so?

But yes, I do think more time should be spent with nvq and all other forms of hair training, if I hadn't taken the time to practice, better my skills and done a lot of educating myself online and in books as well as on my very willing family I wouldn't be where I am now. Xoxo

I suppose I was luck to train "in the job". I think you get more experience that way. However you should leave college knowing what different peroxides do and how to do a uniform layer..

I suppose I was luck to train "in the job". I think you get more experience that way. However you should leave college knowing what different peroxides do and how to do a uniform layer..

Didnt teach me to type though..on the job not in and lucky not luck lol

I am just starting my colouring modules in my NVQ2 and we've briefly mentioned colour correction already, although it's not part of the syllabus this year. I'm also flumoxed at the apparent lack of basic knowledge shown. It's scary!!

Unfortunately the suspicious side of me, thinks some people are not what they seem (sorry), and may be trying it on. That's only my opinion, please don't shoot my down - and only because of the continuous stream of HELP, QUICK, URGENT how do I do this.... what do I need - which then leads on to another 10 questions.

I'm also wondering why people are not turning to their tutors/teachers/ co-workers first for help and guidance. Surely if you are training, that's the first people you'd ask? It'd certainly be the people I'd go to first.

If there's a problem with courses/education people need to speak up and complain to course leaders or salon managers. And demand they get the training and support they possibly pay for, and deserve.

In addition, I'd certainly not be trying out complex corrections - without supervision, particularly if I didn't know how to do it. But that's just me.

I had issues with my own education last year, and did something about it. Went to look at other colleges, and then this year, have AMAZING lecturers. I'm so happy they're so experienced and being a small group we get excellent tuition.

in my opinion college just covers the very basics of hairdressing, i have spent years finding training days, hair dvd's, books internet, to research further. I have got my level 1,2,3 NVQ, never was shown colour correction, eg colour stripping etc... More training and demo's definatly needed.:Love:

I'm also wondering why people are not turning to their tutors/teachers/ co-workers first for help and guidance. Surely if you are training, that's the first people you'd ask? It'd certainly be the people I'd go to first.

Alot of people don't have co-workers because they leave college with level 2 and become mobile. Even when you try to give some people advice about gaining experience within a salon, or tell them they still have alot to learn they don't listen.

If I ever say to someone not to go mobile its not to put them down or be bitchy its just from experience of knowing how little you're actually taught during level 2. I trained within a salon and when I passed my level 2 I was a junior stylist for a couple of years before actually being classed as a stylist.

Alot of people don't have co-workers because they leave college with level 2 and become mobile. Even when you try to give some people advice about gaining experience within a salon, or tell them they still have alot to learn they don't listen.

If I ever say to someone not to go mobile its not to put them down or be bitchy its just from experience of knowing how little you're actually taught during level 2. I trained within a salon and when I passed my level 2 I was a junior stylist for a couple of years before actually being classed as a stylist.

So true Pinky.x:Love:

I remember doing my nvq...so basic! Fortunately that ran alongside (and was optional) fantastic in house training.

I'm employed by a salon who trades test staff before the qualify and potential employees have to demonstrate 4 haircuts/colours.

An NVQ is so far down the list of requirements for my boss when looking at cv's

That's true, yes, sorry. No offence intended.

But on the threads I've seen, people are saying they're training level 3's and have placements etc, so it's more those I was referring too. I just wonder why those people don't ask their tutors for help.

But I'm worried now that I'll be left with a qualification and without knowing very much at all :-( scary!

I totally agree with you about people going mobile straight from college they are actually doing themselves out of training & education. I'm mobile now but I did good 15yrs in a salon before I went out on my own. I can't stress enough how important salon experience is. As for the standards of training in colleges it does seem to be far too basic!xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I did my SVQ 2 and NQ 6 (equivalent of SVQ3) at college and had some fantastic tutors. My colour theory tutor was amazing and even in level 2 was explaining about colour correction because, 9 times out of 10, when we had a colour to do for assessment it involved some form of correction because hardly anyone has virgin hair!

I did have some people in my class who just didn't "get" the science behind colouring (though how some people can leave primary school not understanding basic red, blue, yellow mixing is beyond me) and the way they taught us to work out peroxide ratios to water down just didn't make sense in my head (I understand how to do it, I just do my maths slightly differently).

I wouldn't ever dream of attempting a complicated colour correction if I wasn't confident with it but, unfortunately, some people have the thought that they are qualified therefore can do it all...like someone who had bleached my client's hair twice in one day then again a couple of days later even though she was wanting to go darker then declared it not her problem if the client wasn't happy.

I have been doing mobile simply for the flexibility of hours but once my baby is born I'll be looking at trying to get back into a salon, I do agree that having colleagues to bounce ideas off and having regular experiences of things is far more preferrable.

Hairdressing is like driving you learn the majority of your skills after you have been given that piece of paper to say you have passed!

It is the individuals choice to move forward and challenge themselves or stay still and stale. The Hair NVQ is basic and if you don't get the experience and put time and effort into Hairdressing you won't get better. Hairdressing is a skill that you must be passionate about and a lot of it is about experimenting and sharing ideas with peers.

I do feel that Some employers do expect too much too soon from Level 2 students. If more time, effort and training was spent on developing newly qualified level 2 Hairdressers in salons then the employers would be able to mould them into the Stylists they desire.

Hairdressing is like driving you learn the majority of your skills after you have been given that piece of paper to say you have passed!

It is the individuals choice to move forward and challenge themselves or stay still and stale. The Hair NVQ is basic and if you don't get the experience and put time and effort into Hairdressing you won't get better. Hairdressing is a skill that you must be passionate about and a lot of it is about experimenting and sharing ideas with peers.

I do feel that Some employers do expect too much too soon from Level 2 students. If more time, effort and training was spent on developing newly qualified level 2 Hairdressers in salons then the employers would be able to mould them into the Stylists they desire.

The girl we trade tested refused to trade test as she had only done 4 haircuts! You would expect to be able to give your junior stylist basic hair cuts on the shop floor..is that asking too much?
I was actually on the shop floor before I qualified. This was due to my willingness to get stuck in. I'd ask the other staff if I could do there hair after work in my own time and most importantly you would never find messy out back playing on my phone like many apprentices. I was on the shop floor watching every cut my boss did and taking time to ask questions.

In my opinion it's a profession that need to to be apprenticeship only and that you need to be level 3 before you finish training, I had a fab salon and college (NHTA) and can't imagine doing it any other way, now I'm mobile I either trust my gut 110% or ask here, also answering questions makes me think and tests my knowledge but you will never know everything unless your blue lol

Oh and I did a 45 hour week plus training days for £40 a week lol

Having just started my VRQ level 3, I think its about students motivation, some girls are only on the course as a time filler, of that I am sure!

In answer to your questions:
I do understand bleach baths (also know there are many ways to mix them too). I understand the different levels of peroxide and what lift they give. I am now pretty much getting the hang of pre pigging and toning (which is more level 3 stuff). Bear in mind we have not even done color theory officially yet, that comes later in the course!

I have seen probably close to 70-80 (paying) clients since I started this course (lvl 2), many of these are FH / root touch up color, Foils, and Cuts as well as blow dry's and sets. I have also used color remover recently (although not fully understanding how it works tbh).

The only thing I have never done on a real client is a perm... just not got enough clients who want one!!!!!

I have to say - at my college we have been taught all the basics and more, I know I still have loads to learn and many clients to perfect my skills upon (especially cutting) but practise makes perfect and by the end of this year... I will have seen 150+ clients!

So CH Harvey, if you are still struggling to find someone, I will come and be your junior and happily (and nervously) trade test for you - I am in Staffordshire so not too far from you, possibly! :D

Having just started my VRQ level 3, I think its about students motivation, some girls are only on the course as a time filler, of that I am sure!

In answer to your questions:
I do understand bleach baths (also know there are many ways to mix them too). I understand the different levels of peroxide and what lift they give. I am now pretty much getting the hang of pre pigging and toning (which is more level 3 stuff). Bear in mind we have not even done color theory officially yet, that comes later in the course!

I have seen probably close to 70-80 (paying) clients since I started this course (lvl 2), many of these are FH / root touch up color, Foils, and Cuts as well as blow dry's and sets. I have also used color remover recently (although not fully understanding how it works tbh).

The only thing I have never done on a real client is a perm... just not got enough clients who want one!!!!!

I have to say - at my college we have been taught all the basics and more, I know I still have loads to learn and many clients to perfect my skills upon (especially cutting) but practise makes perfect and by the end of this year... I will have seen 150+ clients!

So CH Harvey, if you are still struggling to find someone, I will come and be your junior and happily (and nervously) trade test for you - I am in Staffordshire so not too far from you, possibly! :D

You sound like I did at ur stage :) we have now taken on a stylist with 15 years experience instead..if only I had posted this sooner although we love our stylist we really were after a junior :) we are melton Mowbray and always love to recieve CVs :)

I really do agree with the above comments as some one said above it is all about what you take it from it and how much your willing to learn in your own time, for me hairdressing does not stop at college and you would be suprised how many people at my college on level 3 who actually just dont bother outside of college and just dont bothet to learn, i started learning about colours etc on level 2 because i chose to i did endless reasearch online found the colour wheel etc and started experimenting with my own hair then i would go in to college and ask my tutors about what i had reasearched and all this helped it click in my mind, and i found that i really love colouring, but theres so many now on the course who still cant grasp the colour theory they say they find it boring etc and i say you need to keep revising at home but they laugh at me and say im geek lol! At college they teach you the basics and its up to you to take the most from it and expand on that knowledge and to push your self as in hairdressing your allways learning

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

You sound like I did at ur stage :) we have now taken on a stylist with 15 years experience instead..if only I had posted this sooner although we love our stylist we really were after a junior :) we are melton Mowbray and always love to recieve CVs :)

Thanks for the positive words! Melton Mowbray is the wrong side of Leics for me - I am happy to travel but it's 40 miles so it just was'nt meant to be ;)

I am currently doing mens barbering and make up part time courses as well as my level 3 so probably would struggle to fit it all in! However you gotta take opportunities where you can get them!

Do not be too fed up with us students, I have learnt loads from Salongeek but even now sometimes I do not fully understand the threads... give me 14 more years! :)

Latest posts

Back