Colour correction and college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I done mine was I started in a salon at 14, begun college full time at 16, worked in the salon on my days off.
There were a few others who worked their bottoms off (one is on here too).
I agree experience is invaluable, but I can't agree we should have just apprenticeships.
You would learn just one method. Not enough, I feel you need many many people to show you "their way" and you use these to make your way.
I was taught by 16 people, some in salons some in colleges, I can't say "their way" was perfect for me, but it was for them, trying each way lets you find the areas you think are best ad use that in your own development. So maybe more time spent on nvq to be able to have a myriad of educators would be best as it took me 2 colleges and 6 salons to find "my way" xoxo

Level 2 in hairdressing has completely changed now, when I done my nvq level 2 it took me two years, I learnt all about colour corrections and creative cutting. They have moved a lot of it into level 3. I didn't do level 3 as I didn't need to but these young girls have to now. People seem to qualifie in 9 months now which I don't think is long enough at all!

I started working as a saturday girl from 13 plus school holidays i was always working , i left school at 15 then college at 16 i was day release so most of my learning was at work and continued to learn from other stylists after college found co workers were more supportive.
I even found i learnt a lot from passing up to stylists boring i know but that way i was up close and able to watch step by step as well as ask questions about the service and why x

Just thought of another take on it, give your views.

If the nvq2 level education was sufficient to make everyone who done it an amazing stylist would it also cause problems?
If a person qualifies as level 2 now, and they are willing to put a lot of time and effort into extra education would this not make it more obvious they are very passionate and really wants to succeed, and for the ones that don't they have so little confidence they leave the industry xoxo

Im currently doing my level 3 in college & a girl on my course with me started to take bleach off with water; too developed whilst waiting for others to catch up! Anyhow she didnt know it doesnt stop it developing; another wanted to try and lift a base 5 (coloured) with a high lift tint; not knowing basic tint doesnt lift tint! It really frustrates me how they have made it this far! When ive worked so hard to get the knowledge i have by studying and doing more training outside!
I think they need to be more selective who they allow to advance to!

When i was at college one girl who was already blonde ( bleach ) decided to bleach again to be lighter with 12% ! needless to say her hair started to fall out and was like cotton wool is the only way to describe it , but you always get one know it all who knows nothing xx

As Claire knows, I am at Melton doing my level 3. The teaching isn't great. There are people on my course who can't even complete a long graduation cut. There are students that do not deserve a place on the course. I am so passionate about hairdressing - I search the Internet for new tricks and new things to learn that I don't get taught at college! I spend a lot of time on here learning! Where as the other students don't do this..this sounds soo horrible but it's so true.. Many of the students are dreadful and as we have a commercial salon many of the clients look so disappointed when they leave :-/ I'm not being big headed but I feel that I am more confident and knowledgeable than the others because I spend time at home learning hairdressing....I don't see hairdressing as my career (obv it is lol) but to me it's an interest, a hobby.. Something I love doing!!!

As Claire knows, I am at Melton doing my level 3. The teaching isn't great. There are people on my course who can't even complete a long graduation cut. There are students that do not deserve a place on the course. I am so passionate about hairdressing - I search the Internet for new tricks and new things to learn that I don't get taught at college! I spend a lot of time on here learning! Where as the other students don't do this..this sounds soo horrible but it's so true.. Many of the students are dreadful and as we have a commercial salon many of the clients look so disappointed when they leave :-/ I'm not being big headed but I feel that I am more confident and knowledgeable than the others because I spend time at home learning hairdressing....I don't see hairdressing as my career (obv it is lol) but to me it's an interest, a hobby.. Something I love doing!!!

It annoys me that college's call them commercial salons. After being in a salon before I started at college I was shocked To see what they classed as a standard. The little things annoyed me more.
People being allowed to chew gum, use the mobile, having drinks on their station, taking people straight to the basin then doing a consultation, sitting at their station, leaning back in the chair taking to the person to one side of them about their weekend while a client sat the other side.
A lot was due to the lack of tutors, yes tutors are very knowledgeable and skilled but I would say one to 5 students is needed so that when someone has a query there isn't a hours wait, And a close eye can be kept in everything going on and step in when they need to.

Many here are lucky to have friends and family to practice on out of college, but those who don't deserve the same as us, and if that means there is more tutors then so be it (to be fair the tutors at my college were confident enough in our skills to have us do their colours and cuts. Maybe it's a sign that the tutors aren't impressed or don't trust students too if they don't allow them to do their hair too) xoxo

It annoys me that college's call them commercial salons. After being in a salon before I started at college I was shocked To see what they classed as a standard. The little things annoyed me more.
People being allowed to chew gum, use the mobile, having drinks on their station, taking people straight to the basin then doing a consultation, sitting at their station, leaning back in the chair taking to the person to one side of them about their weekend while a client sat the other side.
A lot was due to the lack of tutors, yes tutors are very knowledgeable and skilled but I would say one to 5 students is needed so that when someone has a query there isn't a hours wait, And a close eye can be kept in everything going on and step in when they need to.

Many here are lucky to have friends and family to practice on out of college, but those who don't deserve the same as us, and if that means there is more tutors then so be it (to be fair the tutors at my college were confident enough in our skills to have us do their colours and cuts. Maybe it's a sign that the tutors aren't impressed or don't trust students too if they don't allow them to do their hair too) xoxo

Tomme, some colleges still have standards: In our commercial salon:
No gum, No drinks, No food, No mobiles, No sitting down (some tutors do not even approve of cutting stools), No big jewellery, Appropriate uniform, No swearing/inappropriate conversations, No breaks or lunch sometimes too!!!

Consultation is always checked first and further questioning done before we get started. We do not even get their previous records etc before we do the consultation so we are made to identify base color and what colors/services they may have had previously!

We have two tutors and a salon 'manager' (one of the students) for about 15 of us. I still agree that it would be nicer to have a higher ratio of tutor to student though!

Oh and we have many college employees and hair and beauty staff come in and get their hair done on a regular basis... so they must trust us :D

Ours has a standard but not everyone follows the rules!! I wear my uniform, never chew gum, consult at my station before going to basin, if i use my mobile i go in to the back if its important! never have drinks near my work station.. helllooooo electrical equipment?!! it really does annoy me that most trainees are judged. half my class bring drinks in, always on their phone, sit gossiping with eachother..Well I don't.

Ours has a standard but not everyone follows the rules!! I wear my uniform, never chew gum, consult at my station before going to basin, if i use my mobile i go in to the back if its important! never have drinks near my work station.. helllooooo electrical equipment?!! it really does annoy me that most trainees are judged. half my class bring drinks in, always on their phone, sit gossiping with eachother..Well I don't.

And hang around near the entrance smoking..this makes me so angry especially as the tutors are often with them!

Tomme, some colleges still have standards: In our commercial salon:
No gum, No drinks, No food, No mobiles, No sitting down (some tutors do not even approve of cutting stools), No big jewellery, Appropriate uniform, No swearing/inappropriate conversations, No breaks or lunch sometimes too!!!

Consultation is always checked first and further questioning done before we get started. We do not even get their previous records etc before we do the consultation so we are made to identify base color and what colors/services they may have had previously!

We have two tutors and a salon 'manager' (one of the students) for about 15 of us. I still agree that it would be nicer to have a higher ratio of tutor to student though!

Oh and we have many college employees and hair and beauty staff come in and get their hair done on a regular basis... so they must trust us :D

It's more down to the students, all college salons have their standards, but its all down to the students willing to follow them. There's often not enough tutors to police the rules, see to the students and educate all in one go.
I hated the times I had to do salon manager, receptionist or tech (why they were called the tech when it was ordering stock and doing the washing I will never know). I always preferred getting stuck in to the hair.
I think colleges should have students without a client do another students hair. It's practice, keeps them busy and the recipient gets their hair blowdried. Xoxo

And hang around near the entrance smoking..this makes me so angry especially as the tutors are often with them!

Agree! But at the same time iv had problems in other jobs with people smoking by the door.

Had all sorts of excuses. It's cold out the back, its raining, I get lonely....
Had to give out a few warnings over it. I'm a smoker myself and always went out the back where the public couldn't see, and have always had the same view of its it's not good enough for me then its not good enough for anyone so they didn't have much to stand on. Xoxo

Agree! But at the same time iv had problems in other jobs with people smoking by the door.

Had all sorts of excuses. It's cold out the back, its raining, I get lonely....
Had to give out a few warnings over it. I'm a smoker myself and always went out the back where the public couldn't see, and have always had the same view of its it's not good enough for me then its not good enough for anyone so they didn't have much to stand on. Xoxo

As a smoker I am paranoid about smelling of cigarettes when treating clients. In the end I bought one of those ecigarettes so that I could still get my nicotine fix without stinking of ciggies. I still go outside to 'vape' though :confused:

As a smoker I am paranoid about smelling of cigarettes when treating clients. In the end I bought one of those ecigarettes so that I could still get my nicotine fix without stinking of ciggies. I still go outside to 'vape' though :confused:

Lmao. I had one of them and didn't use it much, but an aunt was on one for 2 years.
I get a cut scared so keep polos on me always and spray myself down every time then wash my hands xoxo

We aren't all like that. But yes the tutors do stand out the front smoking,

My college was pretty strict also although i do still think way more girls should have been thrown out due to bad behaviour, constant lateness and being generally lazy. Sometimes i get really disheartened and think my level 2 isnt worth the paper its written on when evidently so many salon trained stylists have that opinion, and in a lot of cases theyre right. When i see the demand i get from clients the second im home from uni and have some free time I feel better because evidently im doing my job properly or they wouldnt come back. I really want to do more training and i think after ive finished my degree or during if i can save up enough im going to do some courses. However, now VRQ has a pass, merit or distinction grading system it does help filter out the more dedicated and talented students from those that are using the course as a time filler.

I trained at college in level 1,2 and 3. There was many complaints that it was basic but I feel as said above its what you take away from the college and look into yourself. I can honestly say I left feeling confident and full of information/skills etc. I learnt colour correction, very in depth but we had many that 'cut down' the knowledge, wanting to take quicker routes as we all know some colour corrections can take longer than typical full head colours. This then meant they fell into a trap, an with every client having different hair, their quicker routes didn't always work, they then had no idea of how to correct what they had done. I blame them.
They've been taught it, it's up to them how they practice it and use their skills.
Colleges shouldn't be blamed for this, and some apprentices don't always get the best training either.
I also agree with some of the questions on here sounding like they're not coming from professionals xx

I always noticed a 'oh hair is easy' attitude, it made me so mad but many of the people I trained with was only there so they could get job centre off their backs, or because all of the other courses looked to 'hard' they soon realised that this wasn't the case, hair isn't the easiest career so maybe they should make interviews harder to get into hair at colleges?! That keeps these lazy ones away which could mean smaller class numbers and more one to one times as Tommee stated above x

[QUOTE=JuZz'
But if class numbers were smaller there would be fewer people passing which reduces the funding they get for each qualifier they have. Xoxo

Latest posts

Back