Colour knowledge help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
Am I right in saying:-

In my scenario, the roots are darker than the midlenghts and ends.

When changing colour to something lighter than the roots but darker than the midlenghts and ends, would you need to use 9% vol on the roots (to lift up to 3 shades for examle) but only a 3% or 6% vol on the midlenghts and ends?

Sorry to be a pain! :o

When changing colour to something lighter than the roots but darker than the midlenghts and ends, would you need to use 9% vol on the roots (to lift up to 3 shades for examle) but only a 3% or 6% vol on the midlenghts and ends?

Depending on what level your going to yes! Only use 3% to deposit x

depends how much darker you're taking the midlengths and ends, anything 2 shades or more and you may need to pre-pig. Or maybe try permanent to lift the roots with a suitable developer and then a semi or quasi through the midlengths and ends as you only want to deposit colour and not achieve any lift.
I know you could achieve slight lift even with 3% but i agree with bluerinse, nothing above 3% if youre only depositing colour

what colour house do you work with, and what is the depth and tone of the lighter already coloured hair? like said above the root will obv need a stronger peroxide than the ends but it is impossible to say what % and what to use without more info. x

Thanks all.

It was just a scenario - just trying to understand colouring etc. :)

Hair isn't very often the same colour all over, the roots are often different to the ends so assess the hair determine the difference between both and then mix your colours to work on the different bases following the manufacturers instructions. If using on the scalp a maximum of 9% and then usually 3% on the ends if darkening. Sometimes a permanent tint on the roots and a quazi on the ends works best :)

Latest posts

Back