Computer Appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thompson1

Reaction score
Hi guys

Do you use a paper appointment book or a computerised one? I used to use one with the franchise company i used to be with and wondered if anyone used a computerised system and what it was and how they find it?

Just out of interest, what would you consider the key requirements to be in such a system? e.g. ease of use, ability of clients to book online via the salon's web site, ability to send out SMS reminders, security considerations, computerisation of consultation questionnaires/record cards, ability to link multiple salons, etc? Would you consider an online (e.g. Web-based) or offline (where software is installed on your computer) to be better - or a mixture of the two?

I just wanted to let you know how thrilled I am with our computer system, its called Platinum and after a long and thorough search, we installed and have used it in our salon for the last 5 years. It can do, and has all the usual things; daybook, retail sales, client database, management reporting, payroll, sales commissions, staff security, to name just a few. What I have find invaluable in this current climate is that I can email and SMS text my customers with special offers (also automatic reminders so they don't forget their booking!)I have already reaped some rewards on sending text messages to customers on quiet days and offering 20% discount if they can make it into the salon on that day...it really works!

I even had one client ask when my next quiet day was likely to be!

I just wanted to let you know a system is worth every penny for the benefits and flexibilty it allows you, I am not sure if I am allowed to post their information, but if you are interested their website is salon software salon computer Hair Beauty Nail Massage Spa Tanning Intelligent Tills

ENJOY!

I use MS Office Outlook (NOT express... big difference).
And you can sync it with Palm Pilots or Blackberry's and have your calendar portable.

When you create the contacts, you can use the 'note' section to put client card information.

I don't think I'd ever use anything online that allows client's to book their own appointments. It's only through conversing with them, that I'll know how long it will take, and can book myself accordingly.
Also, there are some client's who's appointments I 'control' because they have a tendency of not being on time. I only give them certain slots because I don't want them messing up everyone else's appointments.

I don't text, nor wish to receive text's. I like email on my computer and for my phone to be for talking. :lol: Yes, old fashioned that way. I just know how it annoys the crap outta me when someone's phone keeps ringing and they keep saying "just a sec" for a text... Ummm wouldnt a 2min convo be faster? (not to mention cheaper?).

Although, would be handy if my revenues were tracked in my calendar as well, and at the end of the month/year I could see via a report where the most revenues came from, etc.... instead of doing by paper and then transcribing into my excel worksheets.

I use MS Office Outlook (NOT express... big difference).
And you can sync it with Palm Pilots or Blackberry's and have your calendar portable.

When you create the contacts, you can use the 'note' section to put client card information.

I don't think I'd ever use anything online that allows client's to book their own appointments. It's only through conversing with them, that I'll know how long it will take, and can book myself accordingly.
Also, there are some client's who's appointments I 'control' because they have a tendency of not being on time. I only give them certain slots because I don't want them messing up everyone else's appointments.

I don't text, nor wish to receive text's. I like email on my computer and for my phone to be for talking. :lol: Yes, old fashioned that way. I just know how it annoys the crap outta me when someone's phone keeps ringing and they keep saying "just a sec" for a text... Ummm wouldnt a 2min convo be faster? (not to mention cheaper?).

Although, would be handy if my revenues were tracked in my calendar as well, and at the end of the month/year I could see via a report where the most revenues came from, etc.... instead of doing by paper and then transcribing into my excel worksheets.

I guess what you're saying is that there is no "one size fits all" solution here.

Every salon and therapist will have their own way of doing business; for some, online booking could be a godsend; for others, it could give clients too much control (although I like what you said about only wanting to offer certain clients [e.g. the ones with poorer timekeeping] a choice of certain slots). So, a "clever" online booking system might be set up to only allow a particular client to book a particular range of slots (even though other slots might appear "free" for other clients who you know to be more punctual). And likewise, some salons might like the ability to send SMS reminders; others might not. The same for clients. SMS reminders are pretty useless if you've not got a mobile phone, and there's nothing more annoying than having to listen to "BT robot woman" read a text out to you on your landline!

Revenue tracking and reports does sound like an incredibly useful feature though; particularly if the system could automatically generate an Excel spreadsheet for you with all pertinent facts and figures...
Posted via Mobile Device

I personally use the good old book and pencil method. However I have been thinking of updating since my father-in-law went down the apple iphone route and has a calander on him 24/7. Seems a little complicated to me though - maybe next year!

Becki xxx

welllllll a software could be created to offer all... BUT allow users to customize it to 'their' needs?
Example: for myself, I'd disable the client's ability to set their own appointments and disable the text messages.

But if I could do all my accounting and appointments and client info contacts, and monthly emails through the same program, with a click here and there....
INSTEAD of going back and forth between outlook and then excel (I also use excel to create mail merges for mailings in MS Word).

These are the things I do:
MS OUtlook: client contact list with their base info to email them and keep track of details and bdays.
MS Outlook: calendar for appointments and reminders.. (great for setting appointments on "repeat" for those that are VERY regular)
MS Outlook: for sending periodic emails
MS Excel: spread sheets created for accounting
MS Excel: I export contacts from Outlook to Excel to create a mailing list within certain parameters (in outlook, you can 'categorize' clients per codes. Example, for my business, I have 3 codes: Client English, Client French, Client Inactive. This way, I can prepare my mailings accordingly. I can choose to export ONLY the clients under a specific category for a specific mailing.
MS Word: Create one letter with 'fields' and merge with Excel list of clients to personalize the letters and create the mailing labels.

MS office is fabulous for doing all sorts of things. And I'm certain there are things it can do that I haven't learned/tried yet. But for now, I keep things "SSS" (silly, simple, stupid HEHEHHE)

HOWEVER.... if there was a program.... that could do ALL of that for me AND was compatible to back it up to a blackberry.... then you got me :green:

welllllll a software could be created to offer all... BUT allow users to customize it to 'their' needs?
Example: for myself, I'd disable the client's ability to set their own appointments and disable the text messages.

But if I could do all my accounting and appointments and client info contacts, and monthly emails through the same program, with a click here and there....
INSTEAD of going back and forth between outlook and then excel (I also use excel to create mail merges for mailings in MS Word).

These are the things I do:
MS OUtlook: client contact list with their base info to email them and keep track of details and bdays.
MS Outlook: calendar for appointments and reminders.. (great for setting appointments on "repeat" for those that are VERY regular)
MS Outlook: for sending periodic emails
MS Excel: spread sheets created for accounting
MS Excel: I export contacts from Outlook to Excel to create a mailing list within certain parameters (in outlook, you can 'categorize' clients per codes. Example, for my business, I have 3 codes: Client English, Client French, Client Inactive. This way, I can prepare my mailings accordingly. I can choose to export ONLY the clients under a specific category for a specific mailing.
MS Word: Create one letter with 'fields' and merge with Excel list of clients to personalize the letters and create the mailing labels.

MS office is fabulous for doing all sorts of things. And I'm certain there are things it can do that I haven't learned/tried yet. But for now, I keep things "SSS" (silly, simple, stupid HEHEHHE)

HOWEVER.... if there was a program.... that could do ALL of that for me AND was compatible to back it up to a blackberry.... then you got me :green:

It would be a tall order - but you would be absolutely brilliant to consult for requirements analysis!

i use pen and an appointment book.
i started with a software called platinum not sure if its the same one as mentioned.

but it was sooooo slow to load. it wasnt when i tested it for a month then when my trial finished it took minutes to load to different pages. when i was booking appointments i ended up searching for bits of paper to write on.
i found it very inconvenient pressing 10 buttons just to book an appointment.

i would consider a system again though..

I have Xtensions salon software and it's great. It has a day book, client list, products, services etc....
I can do financial reports and lots more.
I can see who is the most requested employee, who has sold the most products. I don't use the text facility at the moment but i have the option to should i wish.
Their customer service is fab and you can have a months free trial to try it out first.

Latest posts

Back