Computer/website assistance please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
This is one for the techy geeks...

I'm wanting to put together a website for my 'Sparkle & Glitz' Children's Pamper Parties.

I'd like it to appeal to the younger set aswell so was thinking of something flashing and/or glittery in places iykwim. How could I add this to a website?

(in English please! lol)

I'll *try* and stick to plain English LOL...

Anyway, there are a few ways you could achieve this:

(1) Create (or get your hands on) an animated GIF image, e.g. of sparkly stars or whatnot. You can include this in your website just like any other image, but it will display an animation rather than just being a boring static image. However, if you need to get your hands on an existing animated GIF image rather than creating one yourself, please bear in mind copyright issues - a couple geeks have received threatening letters from a solicitor in London recently on behalf of a company called Corbis, because they'd used unlicensed images (owned by Corbis) on their websites, and Corbis were demanding hundreds of pounds in damages under threat of legal action! So please don't just "borrow" an image from someone else's website (or from a Google image search) as you won't be able to determine who owns the copyright for it.

(2) There is a super-fabbo Javascript library called JQuery, jQuery: The Write Less, Do More, JavaScript Library that can create all manner of fancy effects, like the fading stars logo on the Sparkles website, Sparkles - Nails, Beauty & Spray Tanning - Sheffield, South Yorkshire - and the animation on the home page of the Nouvatan website, Nouvatan? Spray Tanning - 07932 508084 - - but to get the best out of this, you will need a fair bit of technical knowledge - you'll need to have a decent understanding of Javascript and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), and also the way that the underlying HTML elements that comprise a web page fit together. But JQuery is really powerful, and can give you fancy effects and animations that you'd otherwise probably need Flash to achieve.

Latest posts

Back