Contact area of tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoMo

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused and would like some info. I've seen several different types of nail tips with different well shapes. Some have a smile line while others are more rounded at the well and some even look split at the well (like 2 bumps). What are the differences between these and what advantages/disadvantages are there to these? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I figured if anyone would know you fab nails techs would. :)

MoMo said:
I'm a bit confused and would like some info. I've seen several different types of nail tips with different well shapes. Some have a smile line while others are more rounded at the well and some even look split at the well (like 2 bumps). What are the differences between these and what advantages/disadvantages are there to these? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I figured if anyone would know you fab nails techs would. :)

There are loads of different types of tips to choose from but rather than explain all the differences, let me tell you what I look for in a tip.

I like a tip with a rounded well and a deep 'stop point' which ,when adhered, encolses the whole of the free edge, nice and snug, to protect it. There are well-less tips around which leave the natural free edge hanging underneath the tip that causes dirt to collect there and clients to pick. I do not like well-less tips but some technicians love them!

I like a tip that blends FAST. Fast-blending tips cost a bit more but are worth it both to you and to the client.

The tips that are split at the well and have the two bumps you mention are kind of cool too. The advantage of this type of tip is that it 'gives' (because of the notch) and will flatten as you press it on to almost any nail, (whether it has a deep c-curve or a flatter c-curve) and there will be no pressure on the tip which might cause it to split down the middle. They are trickier to blend, but with a little different technique are just as fast to work with in the end. HTH

geeg said:
I like a tip with a rounded well and a deep 'stop point' which ,when adhered,
The tips that are split at the well and have the two bumps you mention are kind of cool too. The advantage of this type of tip is that it 'gives' (because of the notch) and will flatten as you press it on to almost any nail, (whether it has a deep c-curve or a flatter c-curve) and there will be no pressure on the tip which might cause it to split down the middle. They are trickier to blend, but with a little different technique are just as fast to work with in the end. HTH

Sorry to hijack Geeg, but what is the technique for blending this kind of tip??

I got some when i converted to Creative earlier in the year and i havn't used them yet as i wasn't sure what to do with them??

Thanks for the help. I am not a nail tech but I always watch everything a tech does when they do my nails, it fasinates me and amazes me that they can blend anykind of tip seamlessly. This set I have on now the girl used the tips with the split well and I have to say they fit my nails very well which doesn't always happen. My nails are shaped weird (well at least to me) They are kind of flat across the top but have deep sind walls which is why sometimes the tip never covered properly, I guess. Again thanks for the help. My curiosity sometimes gets the best of me.

p.s. you girls and guys are the best! I love the info I can find on here.

Emmajt said:
Sorry to hijack Geeg, but what is the technique for blending this kind of tip??

I got some when i converted to Creative earlier in the year and i havn't used them yet as i wasn't sure what to do with them??

No big thing. I blend as described in 'nailclass' in one of the File Control chapters, but as I work towards zone 2 I just angle the abrasive so that I first blend the 'bump' on one side of the notch and then re angle to blend the bump in the other side of the notch ... you need to avoid the notched area of course as there is nothing covering the natural nail here.

I always use the Eclipse tip on myself as I also have those deep side walls that other tips don't reach unless the technician uses her thumbs to pinch the sides, and then the natural tendency of the tip is to pull away ... I do not have the luxury of a technician and always do my own. The Eclipse tip is made for my type of nails.

geeg said:
No big thing. I blend as described in 'nailclass' in one of the File Control chapters, but as I work towards zone 2 I just angle the abrasive so that I first blend the 'bump' on one side of the notch and then re angle to blend the bump in the other side of the notch ... you need to avoid the notched area of course as there is nothing covering the natural nail here.

I always use the Eclipse tip on myself as I also have those deep side walls that other tips don't reach unless the technician uses her thumbs to pinch the sides, and then the natural tendency of the tip is to pull away ... I do not have the luxury of a technician and always do my own. The Eclipse tip is made for my type of nails.

Thanks for that, i've not got round to purchasing Nailclass yet, i'll have to do it today and get reading.

By reading your description of your own nails, i think my may be the same. I always have to pinch the sides when i put them on myself - just thought it was the way i was putting them on - all cack handed, guess not eh!

Thanks again, will give it a whirl later.

im looking for new tips (the tips i was using before were supplied by my course), i like natural ones with with a full well, id like them stronge but easy to blend. As for C curve or not im not entirely sure as i wasnt thought anything about tips, im starting to think i wasnt thought very well at all, and even though iv qualified a year now and have regular clients who are all very pleased, iv learned more here on this site about techniques and skills, rather than just getting my time down and keeping my costs down like i was thought in college. dont get me wrong i know what im doing, and lots of what you guys say is right i was also thought, but small things like blending, i was thought with acetone and i really dont like it i prefer to file, i was never thought to cap, never told i could tidy up smile lines with a clean brush, sound like common sense i know, but i thought i had to get it perfect in one sweep and did that for months. Sorry about the rant but it's actually starting to bug me, the fact that the only thing i know about tips is through a website is not on when i paid over a thousand euro to do a corse. lol aaaaanyway, id love some advice on tips and which ones to use, i use ibd and brisa, oh gels naturally...any comments or advice would be so helpfull...thanks

Latest posts

Back