Contaminated Powder- How?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey P

Reaction score
I think I've contaminated my pink powder :o !

I cannot pick up a big bead no matter how much liquid I leave in my brush. Its not my brush as its new and so is the liquid, also I always use a pipette to transfer liquid and never put old back. I have washed my dappen dish.

The pink is from a bigger pot which when I tested the bigger pot is fine and I can pick up huge beads. :biggrin:

Question is is my little pot def contaminated? also how the hell did I do it so I don't do it again :smack: ?!

I'm assuming this would mess up my ratios and cause lifting? hopefully it will cos it would explain why i've started to get bad lifting like when i first started doing nails!

any help would be greatful

i didn't think you could contaminate it in that way? i just thought if you got dust in it then it showed as black bits when you put the product on and it dried? not much help am i?

maybe you have too much liquid in your brush?

Stacey P said:
I think I've contaminated my pink powder :o ! [COLOR="Black]This can happen if you were filing with your powder out in the open. Are you putting everything out before filing or after?[/COLORI cannot pick up a big bead no matter how much liquid I leave in my brush. Its not my brush as its new and so is the liquid, also I always use a pipette to transfer liquid and never put old back. I have washed my dappen dish. [COLOR="Black"][COLOR=navy]Did you wipe your dish out with just water or if using CND did you use scrub fresh? How deep are you going into your powder? If you are going past the flag of your brush, you may be getting product in the belly of your brush and contaminating your liquid, so your powder might not be the problem at all. Some times I have noticed that when I pour powder out of a large container into a small container and use it immediately, that I have a harder time getting the correct product ratio, if I am able to pick up a bead at all. To rmemdy this dillema I stirred the powder with an orange wood stick, tapped the dish lightly on the table to level it and then went on. I have noticed that if you refill your small container and leave it set overnight it also works. We refill our "working containers" each night and put their lids on, so they are ready for the next day.[/COLOR]
The pink is from a bigger pot which when I tested the bigger pot is fine and I can pick up huge beads. :biggrin:

Question is is my little pot def contaminated? also how the hell did I do it so I don't do it again :smack: ?! I don't think your little pot is contaminated, and I hope the information is helpful.
I'm assuming this would mess up my ratios and cause lifting? hopefully it will cos it would explain why i've started to get bad lifting like when i first started doing nails! yes, not being able to pick up a proper bead would make your ratio off, and would most likely lead to lifting or cracking. Have you changed anything else? Brands or application methods? Brushes? Feel free to PM me and I would be glad to help you try to figure out whats going on!

any help would be greatful
HTH

as above to much liquid or not enough would cause u not to be able to pick up a bead but if in doubt and u think it contamnated i would throw it out but thats my opnion but b4 doing that i would ask around we cant afford to wast :biggrin: :green:

sounds like moisture to me, or perhaps really cold powder

Hi Jeni.

Thanks for that.

With the dappen dish I first washed with water, made sure it was dry then scrubfreshed it as well. I also only ever use the flag and not the belly of the brush, if I did my boss would shout at me, not allowed bad habits!!

I also always give the pot a shake before use, dunno why just always have done even when I first started.

At least that explains why i'm having problems and i can do something to fix it, only noticed it the other day when I went to do my nails and I had lots of lifting and my own nails never lift!

I haven't changed anything except for the brush which was the master pro styler cos I killed my prostyler from training, it didn't like its hair anymore and started to reject them!!

Any other help would be greatful, I'd really like to know whats happened its confused me.

nailzoo said:
sounds like moisture to me, or perhaps really cold powder

It could be but the other powders are fine and they are all stored together in the same box. Maybe the lid hadn't been screwed on enough?

Do you store your powders and monomer at room temperature as extreme temperature changes can cause allsorts of problems with how your monomer reacts etc. I used to leave all my stuff in the car but it played havoc with my ratios and effected my clients nails.

Try to keep them at a good even temperature, if the monomer gets very cold, hold the bottle in your hands for a while and try to warm it up, this may help.

It could be the cold. I keep my stuff in my wardrobe and its cold in there but then again all my nail stuffs there and the rests fine. I do carry it round in my car getting to and back to the salon so it could be that thats doing it, cold in wardrobe and warm in car!?!

I think i'm just gonna have to put it down to experience and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for all your help.

yes, it could be that your monomer is cold, rather than your powder contaminated. i was told on my course not to keep stuff in the car because extreme temperatures can affect it.

Hi, i was having the same problems. But figured it was the tempeture. The salon i work in gets really cold overnight and takes a while to heat up in the cold mornings. I keep picking up beads that are either too small and runny or ok but with some dried powder on the end of the ball. Its driving me nuts, but noticed yesterday it was fine when the slaon was quite warm. I just hope it doesnt cause too much problems to clients nails. I was going to try moxie but we have loads of bottles of retention to use and dont want to ask for it. Maybe this may help you.x

Latest posts

Back