Contracts of employment -advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire@evolve

Chanting Chick 🐣
Reaction score

i would greatly appreciate any help on this matter- my employer has decided to change my contract. Firstly i introduced my clients (formally pamper and private clients) to the salon on pretense i would run the shop. I was given a wage rise from min wage to significant amount but now have been told that there reducing my rise ( only received two wages) and that they want me to sign a contract forbidding me to work within existing area within 3 miles. I no this is common practise for some salons but can they introduce it now ? Im one month off been there a year. I feel a little bit used at having give them my existing client base - ( employer not in beauty industry). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi Claire

First off can I say what a bummer. There is no polite way of saying that and I could say more that you have been nobbled for your client base but it is done. I have not been in this business long enough to know what is standard practise regarding not working within a certain distance, but if it is standard practise then even though you do not have an existing contract then by law it would be assumed it would be the normal part if one had been written. Crazy mad world this is. And shows that each of us who works for an employer must make sure we have a contract so we at least know what our obligations are.

What do you want to do about the reducing pay rate? If you look at it as a whole, could the salon only continue to run if you took the reduced pay and do you want to do that? The options regarding the contract will be: 1) accept it; 2) not accept it and leave; 3) dispute it in the interim in the hope you can find a better agreement with your employer. If it is 3) then you need to let your employer know as soon as possible, including how you feel about the restriction clause with perhaps suggesting a more agreeable way forward. According to the Direct Gov website ( Disagreeing to changes in your employment conditions : Directgov - Employment ) I put some things in bold...

Your employer isn't entitled to simply bring in any change they wish. If your employer tries to make a change that you don't agree with (for example trying to demote you or cut your pay) tell them immediately. Put your objections in writing, asking for reasons for the change and explaining why you don't agree. If you carry on working without taking action it may count as acceptance of the new terms (even if you haven't signed anything), so you'll need to make your objections clear.
If you start to work under the new terms, make it clear that you're working under protest and are treating the change as a breach of contract. Try to sort out the problem directly with your employer. If you can't resolve the problem directly, you may need to take some kind of legal action.
I am afraid that the employment laws in this country have taken many steps back and there is no security. I am not a lawyer (but I do take a great interest in employment matters) so you should seek legal advise from say the Direct Gov website links or your local Citizens Advice. Remember to continue to work under the new conditions without questioning them implies you have accepted them!

How much do you really need your employer or do they need you more? And would your clients come with you?

Good luck and I hope someone with more specific experience can help.

:hug:

Thank you so much for your advice x i will check that site out and keep you informed x a lot of the clients are actually my friends and wouldnt stay in principle with the salon but i still wouldnt have a base to work from .

Thank you so much for your advice x i will check that site out and keep you informed x a lot of the clients are actually my friends and wouldnt stay in principle with the salon but i still wouldnt have a base to work from .

Good luck with it all Claire. I have bumped this thread so that anyone more experienced might be able to help.

And belated apologies for the typical assumption that boss=male. We all do stuff like that but I am shocked I can still do it! :o

:hug:

Latest posts

Back