Custom Blend Prob

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
I've had Custom Blending once and adored it. I've also mixed my own pinks and managed to extend the nail bed and cover all imperfections. However, after about a week, the top of zone 2, just below the smile line, turns cloudy and grey where it isn't attached to the natural nail (because I've extended the nail bed).

Do I put a a deeper colour in zone 2? Any suggestions or reasons why this happens?

Many thanks. xxx

What mix have you used Kimmi?......I must admit I only ever use opaque colours and have never come across this....but if you are using a mix of transluscent then couldn't this just be a ghost shadow from the regrowth......?

I used Flawless and pink.

I have just soaked off my custom blends that I had on for 6 weeks with 1 rebal....but I had a totally opaque mix...Flawless, white & some Melting pot & Terra Cotta......and had no problems with a shadow under the smile......but doesn't it still look better than the free edge regrowth normally looks?

If you are extending a nail bed you really would be best to stick with opaque colours as mixing a pink in whether it be intense or perfect will just make it more translucent and you could have this shadow......

I will be interested to see what Geeg or GMG would advise.......

But I would definitely go for an opaque mix if extending a nail plate and do your pink/flawless mix just to boost the colour of a nail plate for a client.

HTH

izzy is most likely correct about a ghost shadow due to regrowth.

this doesnt happen to me as i nearly always have my natural nail plate under the product.

i still extend my nail bed, but my free edge is usually under the product, not a free form extension of product only.

if your nail plate is under your mix, and its still happening, then mayb make it a little more opaque.

What ratio did you use Kimmi. 2part flawless to 1 part perfect if you only need partial coverage.. Perfect pink being translusent will cause some marbeling and shadowing when mixed with flawless.
As liza said, you can use it effectively depending on how much your trying to cover... The more coverage you need the more flawless you use.. HTH

Envy said:
What ratio did you use Kimmi. 2part flawless to 1 part perfect if you only need partial coverage.. Perfect pink being translusent will cause some marbeling and shadowing when mixed with flawless.
As liza said, you can use it effectively depending on how much your trying to cover... The more coverage you need the more flawless you use.. HTH

The other way around Envy...............2 pinks and 1 Flawless.

So generally, what is the best mix?

I tend to use one of a number of base recipies:

Medium/ high coverage - 2 parts flawless to 1 part of either perfect or intense

Full coverage - 4 parts flawless, 1 part white (sams recipie) - generally requires additional colouring to match skin tone.

HTH

The shadowing was a result of having translucent powders in the mix - one reason I personally dont ever use translucent powders when I blend. Saying that, there are many that do and like the look of it - I just personally think it works against you long run.

HTH's!

Thanks all, I'm gonna have a play around. I really want to do a Custom Blend course................are there any going on?

Just to clear up something though as to where the shadow is. Ok, let me try to explain what happens. I have a short nail so the tip is applied and blended. The white L&P is applied high up to give the impression of a longer nail bed. Then the blend is applied to the rest of zone 2 and 3. However, after about a week, the area in zone 2 THAT ISN'T ATTACHED TO THE NATURAL NAIL BED, then becomes a dodgy looking colour.It's almost like the custom blend only hides the fact that the natural nail is short for a limited time. It's nothing to do with blending.

As others have said kimmi only use opaque shdes and youshould not get the shadowing when your nails grows

if you have the custom blending kit have a look at some of the mix's in there also glynis wrote down the mix sam showed us to use at the blending seminar as i have forgot what it was but it was a really god one....

Latest posts

Back