Cuticles Pushed Too Far

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPCCUSA

Reaction score
I started biting my nails once I stopped sucking on a pacifier.

After much effort, I stopped that bad habit a few years ago, but unfortunately I acquired a new one - I now pick on my cuticles.

I do it so much that I started affecting the matrix of my thumbs. The nails now grow all wavy.

photo4.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo1.JPG

I am trying to visit a manicurist every 2 weeks, but I am considering to increase the frequency to once a week in order to stop this secondary bad habit.

My question is: will my cuticle grow back and start covering most of my lunula? Will my nails start growing normal again or was this a permanent damage?

Any suggestions to what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JP

Hi JP!

The cuticle should be pushed back to prevent its' overgrowing. However it is important that the tool (wooden stick or metal pusher) is not held at an angle and cuticle is no pushed with strength. If it is done incorrectly, the ridges on natural nail may appear.

The most common way to aid pushing is to soak in warm water with Manicure Soak added in and then using cuticle remover.

From your pictures I think that incorrect pushing is the reason for ridges on your nails. If matrix wasn't damaged, then it should grow out. Purchase a cuticle oil from the salon you go to and use it twice a day. This will improve skin around cuticles and general condition of the natural nails.

What are you using to push them back? If they are going into your mouth:irked:
Nail bite will stop this cuticle abuse just as easily as it does nail abuse:lol:
if you are a picker:smack: you need to find something to keep your hands busy.
My ex husband took up cross stitching, my brother, wood carving. Anyway breaking the habit aside. Cuticle oil will help, see if your manicurist can get you some solar oil, it's the best one I've found and is bought from CND.
Good luck hun.

I have a client that has been picking at her cuticles, they are so ridged now that gel wont cover the ridges & they are starting to come away from the side wall.

If there is a particular time you seem to do it.i.e watching TV try wearing gloves.

If you carry on & get an infection in the matrix you could loose your nail..... forever.
You are messing around with the birth place of the nail.x

Thanks everyone for the replies (and Karen for the private message)...

I use my own nails to push/pick on the cuticles.

I've noticed I pick them more often if they are dry, so I've been trying to keep them moisturized.

I will ask my manicurist for the solar oil... And will try to keep my hands occupied, although I do damage when I'm idle (driving, watching tv, in boring meetings, etc.)

I really want my nails to grow back normal again, so I'm putting some effort on this. It is embarrassing to have deformed nails like that.

Latest posts

Back