Dandruff!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
I have oily hair.. yet I also have Dandruff. I hate it.. it's not mega bad so that it is on my black clothes or anything... but I can see it around my scalp.

What works... not keen on Head and Shoulders stuff as it hasn't worked for me.. and I don't want to put oily stuff on scalp because my hair is oily.. if you see what I mean.

I have oily hair.. yet I also have Dandruff. I hate it.. it's not mega bad so that it is on my black clothes or anything... but I can see it around my scalp.

What works... not keen on Head and Shoulders stuff as it hasn't worked for me.. and I don't want to put oily stuff on scalp because my hair is oily.. if you see what I mean.
I have always suffered the same, oily hair, flaky, itchy scalp....I use Matrix products at the mo and my flaky scalp is no more...I've tried them all but Matrix seems to suit my hair and scalp.

I have always suffered the same, oily hair, flaky, itchy scalp....I use Matrix products at the mo and my flaky scalp is no more...I've tried them all but Matrix seems to suit my hair and scalp.

Where can I try this stuff Cathie? And how long would you say it would take, to make a difference?

I get mine at Aston & Fincher, I can't remember how long it took to make a difference, but I'll stick with this brand now, it's the Matrix Biolage range! BTW adding to Fiona's previous thread, I only buy shampoo and conditioner from the wholesalers!

Sometimes what looks like dandruff, isn't actually dandruff, it can be caused by a fungus. If you go to a pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist, they should be able to tell you if it is. You can buy the shampoo from them, it's called Nizoral.

Dandruff is clupmy and yellow like cradle cap,often smelly ,and flaky scalp is white/sliver flakes of scalp which cause irritation.

Which do you have hun ?

By using the wrong products to cure the problem,you could actually be causing one x

elvive anti dandruff is good, they do one for oily hair i think.

also polytar, ubt not in the little brown bottle, the big white bottle is the better one. it stinks but its great!!

Also, original source tea tree and mint, makes ur head tingle like hell, but gets rid of pesky flakes!!

I think im actually starting to suffer a bit of psoriasis at my hair line, its a painin the arse!! lol.

Head and Shoulders have done an amazing job of freaking people into thinking that white flakes = Dandruff.

Real dandruff is caused by a fungus whereas a lot of flaking can be simply caused by crappy products, poor cleansers, dry skin, psoriasis, eczema, etc... In some cases, an anti-dandruff shampoo may worsen the situation (or at least wreck and dry our the hair at the cost of getting rid of the flakes that may be caused from crappy products).

HTHs

I know this is a WAY old thread now, but I just foud it and thought my update may be of interest to someone. lol.

The last 12 months, I've had a really irritated scalp. Not dandruff, just irritated, dry, flakey and Still suffering with what looked like psoriasis around my hairline.

I have started using SLS (Sodium Laurelth Sulphate) FREE shampoo, and its really helping. So I think I'm allergic to it. Theres also another alternative, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, which I react to aswell.

Unfortunately, SLS / ALS is in 99% of shampoos as its the main detergant ingredient. And then most of the small pecentage that don't have it don't lather, which when you have thick hair like mine is horrible, you need a bit of lather to get right into all the layers of hair! lol.

I've just started using the Macadamia Range from Capital. Seems to be ok so far. And smells much nicer than the yukky polytar I was driven to using!! :green:

Pureology is sls free. It is free of all sulphates, plus sodium chloride free (great for after brasillian blow dry)

Agree with other posters about the difference between true dandruff and a dehydrated or irritated scalp. Redken do a scalp treatment range that includes dandruff products and also a scalp soothing shampoo. I have had good results with this on flaky, irritated scalps. Read about it on Welcome - Indigo Hair & Beauty

Funny you should say that, whilst reading this I was gonna say just that but you beat me to it. I have a client that have the greasy roots and yellow clumps of skin, I've told her time and time again STOP using Tresemme!!! She used Neutrogena T gel for a while, then didn't bother. Anyway I did a Brazilian on her hair, gave her the Nexxus Sodium Chloride free shampoo and conditioner, guess what for the first time in 15 years her head is clear! Weirdly she complained her head was itching, I thought was it the Brazilian, even though I skin tested her. Guess what she went back to Tresemme her dandruff came back. I've convinced her to go back to the Nexxus for the sake of her Brazilian, which she has, itching stopped, dandruff gone! I'm wondering if the itching was basically her scalp healing. Both her and her mums scalps were the same, now they're both clear!

YIck id say stay away from head & shoulders that stuff gives me a flaky scalp. Most people here will say to stay away most commercial products like head and shoulders, tresemme, herbal essences and pantene. I find they all give me itchy head!

WOWEE @ this thread!!

for forever i've had a white flaky scalp and my hair will itch like mad at times... like i'm talking if i leave my hair a day - 2 without washing it i'll be greasy and itching like mad. the flakes aren't yellow or smelly or anything like that just white almost see through flakes. i use mainly head and shoulders and have done for years now. i always get my hair professionally coloured and cut etc. and always say to the hairdressers (i've been to 3 different places in about 5-6years) that i have dandruff (well i thought it was dandruff!) so that they'll know i know i have yucky hair... which i think is less embarassing than them thinking i don't know kwim? because it is embarassing... especially when it comes to the parting on my hair and sometimes you can see like a second layer of scalp due to the flakes. anyway the hairdressers i've been to have never told me any differently just said my hair is really thick and in good condition... but after this thread i'm starting to think i'm using the wrong products and i don't really have dandruff at all! never have i been recommended a product by a hairdresser from any of the salons i've been to, so i didn't think shampoo/conditioner was all that important to be honest and never paid them much attention? i can't believe what i've learned from this thread! i'm one of the suckered in by head and shoulders white flakes talk :o x

Last edited:
WOWEE @ this thread!!

for forever i've had a white flaky scalp and my hair will itch like mad at times... like i'm talking if i leave my hair a day - 2 without washing it i'll be greasy and itching like mad. the flakes aren't yellow or smelly or anything like that just white almost see through flakes. i use mainly head and shoulders and have done for years now. i always get my hair professionally coloured and cut etc. and always say to the hairdressers (i've been to 3 different places in about 5-6years) that i have dandruff (well i thought it was dandruff!) so that they'll know i know i have yucky hair... which i think is less embarassing than them thinking i don't know kwim? because it is embarassing... especially when it comes to the parting on my hair and sometimes you can see like a second layer of scalp due to the flakes. anyway the hairdressers i've been to have never told me any differently just said my hair is really thick and in good condition... but after this thread i'm starting to think i'm using the wrong shampoo and i don't really have dandruff at all! never have i been recommended a shampoo or a product from any of the salons i've been to, so i didn't think shampoo/conditioner was all that important to be honest and i've never really paid much attention to it? i can't believe what i've learned from this thread! i'm one of the suckered in by head and shoulders white flakes talk :o x
You havn't been to one of my salons then!!:D Try pureology hydrate, it will change your life.
Welcome - Indigo Hair & Beauty

You havn't been to one of my salons then!!:D Try pureology hydrate, it will change your life.
Welcome - Indigo Hair & Beauty

it's funny you say i haven't been to one of your salons because i've been debating with myself the past couple of weeks-months now if i should make the several hundred mile trip to one of your salons for hair extensions, my poor bf just about fell off the settee when i told him how far away from us you were based haha :D i shall go check out the link now, though you could of just pointed me towards fresh air in a bottle and i'd be none the wiser! x

Last edited:
You have no idea the amount of people who think they have dandruff.

I always will say that it is a dry scalp (as 99% of the time it is), no offence on the salons you've been to in the past but they obviously don't know the difference either. X

i know it might sound odd but lime juice on the scalp and leave for an hour before shampooing as normal with a shampoo for oily hair. it will itch as soon as you put it on but bare through it it will stop after a few minutes. this will reduce the amount of dandruff and even stop the itch from the condition for a bout 3-5 days depending on how bad your condition is. reapply when you feel the itch of the dandruff come again. continue with it and you should see a great improvement after 4 applications. hope you try it gdluck:-x:D

Latest posts

Back