Dermabrasion... anyone do this ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameo Val

Reaction score
I have a full dermabrasion kit that I bought a year or so ago, intending to use it on myself, but I have never got round to it. Do any of you other geeketts do dermabrasion treatments or have you used them on yourself. What I would like to know is.......

Do they make a visible difference to your skin, especially face areas.

And how long do you need to use them before results are visible

Also what products do you find best to use with the dermabrasion kit.

Mine is not a big salon one, its the home use kind, battery operated. Are they any good or just rubbish.

I can hear you saying, why does she just not use it and find out. Well, basically I am not one for doing treatments on myself, especially if they are not going to be worth while. I suppose I am a bit of a lazy so'an'so really when it comes to pampering myself. So I suppose I am looking for the opinions of others to tell me they are good......... then I might be inspired enough to get the thing out and use it on myself. Or if they are rubbish, then I will sell it on Ebay.

Would appreciate your views on this.

Many thanks
Val

This is my first post...hello everyone! I absolutely LOVE this site!!

I perform microdermabrasion at the salon with a professional unit but have tried the "at-home" type hand held devices.

A good quality facial scrub product can do the same work but if you've already purchased, use it at home and enjoy it!

You can't really use a sponge pad type of unit on the general public for a few reasons. One being because you can't totally control the pressure of the pads on the face so getting an even "peel" can be difficult. Another being the pads won't hold up to be sanitized and replacements are a bit costly. But you can definitely use it on yourself!

There is one unit I have (yes, I pretty much tried them all!) that is a professional hand held and the pad is made of a specially textured silicone rubber so it can be sanitized. I use it for doing the hands and other larger areas of the body when needed and it works beautifully. It's called Spa Girl and the battery operated version is about $130 US.

In Ohio we need to be licensed estheticians or cosmetologists in order to perform this type of mechanical exfoliation. Please check with your local licensing board if your planning on offering it as a service to your clients.

Just bumping this up again as I only got one reply. Please help out here girls if you can.

thank you

Pleeeeeeeeese

valburt said:
Pleeeeeeeeese

Hi Burty!

I have to say, having got myself one of these not so long ago I tried to stick to the instructions and use it on a regular basis, but you know how it is - they are such a novelty sometimes and it just wears off sooner or later (sooner in my case!). I can't really say that I found it much more effective than my usual facial scrub but that could just be me. I exfoliate a lot anyhow so perhaps I didn't feel the benefits as much as say another who doesn't frequently do this?

Sorry, that isn't much help really is it - I just think sometimes that these battery-operated jobbies are simply novelty goods - bit like these electric manicure kits with buffers and such like, that so many of us were attracted to in the past - they look nice in the box but really, you never end up using them to a great extent and can invariably produce a better result manually with professional tools of the trade. I think if you really want something with dramatic and/or noticeable results, it has to be via the professional route.

Still, as I say, this has just been my personal experience of a home microdermabrasion kit but others may be able to advise you that its been a miracle maker for them?

Thanks Hollyballoo, that has made my mind up................ its going on ebay. You hit the nail right on the head with your comments about it being a novelty item. That is exactly what happened to me, I saw it advertised on tv,(I am an advertisers dream) bought it and then never used the thing.

Thank very much
Val

Latest posts

Back