Disclaimer form

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlucy2782

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone could help me, im a freelance hairdresser and beauty therapist, and i need a form just to cover my back when i'm carrying out treatments etc. Does anyone know of a good sight i can get a sample from please i cant find anything anywhere.
Thank you Lucy.

I've said it before and ill say it again! No form of disclaimer is worth the paper it's wrote on! Use it for ya toilet!

Are you a babtac member? they have generic consultaion forms on the members area of there website.

Hi everyone,
I wondered if anyone could help me, im a freelance hairdresser and beauty therapist, and i need a form just to cover my back when i'm carrying out treatments etc. Does anyone know of a good sight i can get a sample from please i cant find anything anywhere.
Thank you Lucy.

What would you use it for?

You need to check with your insurers whether they accept them incase of a claim!

You cannot exclude liability for death or personal injury in a consumer contract (which is what your contract with a customer would be if you were giving them a hairdo or beauty treatment). This is laid down in statute and you cannot do anything about it.

It is exceptionally difficult to limit liability for other losses, e.g. to say your liability to compensate a customer for clothes ruined by hair dye or a carpet destroyed by hot wax that you spill is limited to £5 or whatever - you would need to show that the contract had been negotiated and that the customer had understood what they were agreeing to. In practice, you would be giving them a non-negotiable form to sign, so you wouldn't be able to show this.

This is why you need proper insurance, and to ensure that you comply with the conditions of that insurance e.g. by giving all information necessary about any treatment you offer, doing skin tests, giving appropriate after care advice etc. You may be required to keep records of this as proof for your insurer that you have followed these steps in the event of a claim - call them and be 101% sure that you are following all the guidance and requirements.

A disclaimer seeking to exclude or limit your liability for anything that goes wrong is a waste of paper - the best it can do for you is to 'put off' a poorly informed customer who is not aware of her legal rights. With the widespread existence of 'no win no fee' claims companies these days, I agree with the other poster who says they're not worth arse paper. It is relatively common for non-enforceable terms to be included in contracts for commercial reasons (as mentioned above, you might do this to put the other person off making a claim) but in this instance, I really wouldn't bother.

You are being negligent and unprofessional if you try to persuade someone to sign away their rights. Why would you think this is a good idea?

I think people still think it will help them out in the event of a claim.

I guess by signing it , the tech/some techs will think that in the event of a claim, the client can now not claim against them as they signed the disclaimer.

The only one i have say they have to disclose all meds and conditions to me and that i wont give any refunds, but that is on my consulataion form and so far everyone has been happy to sign it without question.

I blame the colleges for turning out so called qualified therapists without explaining such things. I also think that colleges should do more on marketing and professionalism, but I suspect that I've bored people rigid with that one!

Learning how to be professional i think is important in any job, not just nails/beauty etc.

How the tech/person presents themselves at work in the salon or while handing out leaflets in the street, it is the same thing, you need manners, politeness, look smart and be willing to answer any question you are asked.

You need to know what your doing, if you walk the walk, you need to talk the talk too or that could be the other way round lol

A disclaimer for what? As someone else has already pointed out you cannot limit or exclude liability for death or personal injury, so getting your client to sign to say if they have a reaction to the treatment etc would be completely useless, not to mention a bit underhand. If you're after disclaimers such as "all breakages and repairs must be paid for" well there's no set text, everyone has different disclaimers, you just need to decide what your limits are and write them out clearly.

Latest posts

Back